• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

@mentions - similar to FB and twitter

@mentions feature  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this feature introduced?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

• Founder & Administrator

A member has messaged me to suggest an @mentions feature. This would work similar to how Facebook or twitter @ works. If you wanted to mention a user you simply type their username with an @ sign in front of it. The member would get a notification that they have been mentioned and the @username would turn into a link to the users profile page.

My personal thoughts were that this wasn't necessarily needed on the forum, especially as there is the quote feature. But I see how it could be useful if you wanted to mention a user that hasn't previously posted in that topic, if there wasn't anything to quote for example, you could still mention a user and they would receive a notification.

Please let me know if you would like this feature, or you would not like it, or if you are not bother. I have created a private poll, so all votes are kept private.

You can also comment below if you wish, but comments aren't automatically counted as a vote so please click to vote appropriately. You will need to vote via the desktop site.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Not on twitter and got absolutely no intention of joining it anytime soon

This feature has nothing to do with twitter, basically it's very cool, let me give you a few examples. 

If I posted something on this forum like, "@paul would definitely know with this item is, you should ask him."

You will get a little 1 in your notification panel, that says "You have been mentioned in this POST" then you will click on the word "POST" and it will take you to the thread and post that you were mentioned in. 

In this example, I'm not quoting you, so you won't get a notification that someone quoted you, like the one you just got. But instead you'll get a mention notification. 

Say you want to ask a few members that you respect their thoughts on a specific subject.. 

You can simply type @TCSilver, @ChrisSilver Wouldn't it be cool if members can earn peices of silver for every post they write and you can increase your stack just by posting" 

Then I and ChrisSilver will get a notification saying we were mentioned in a thread and then we can respond to you. It really helps foster member communication. 

It's probably one of the best features you can add to a forum and best of all - It's just a feature, you don't have to use it. 

This feature has nothing to do with twitter, basically it's very cool, let me give you a few examples. 

If I posted something on this forum like, "@paul would definitely know with this item is, you should ask him."

You will get a little 1 in your notification panel, that says "You have been mentioned in this POST" then you will click on the word "POST" and it will take you to the thread and post that you were mentioned in. 

In this example, I'm not quoting you, so you won't get a notification that someone quoted you, like the one you just got. But instead you'll get a mention notification. 

Say you want to ask a few members that you respect their thoughts on a specific subject.. 

You can simply type @TCSilver, @ChrisSilver Wouldn't it be cool if members can earn peices of silver for every post they write and you can increase your stack just by posting" 

Then I and ChrisSilver will get a notification saying we were mentioned in a thread and then we can respond to you. It really helps foster member communication. 

It's probably one of the best features you can add to a forum and best of all - It's just a feature, you don't have to use it. 

many thanks for the explanation, i think i must have read the initial post at speed not really fully understanding it - i understand what the function is now and its meaning. Sounds like it cold be of some use.

Better to have and not use than to want to use and not have.

It is a really useful feature especially on large forums where not all the threads are read/participated in.

@morezone @doogs @Ares @Paul @TCSilver

(edit: doesn't seem to work so perfectly with tapatalk, only morezones link is showing when I viewed on tapatalk app. Also noticed no mention notification on tapatalk)

Testing this. At the moment the inline notification is always on, I set this because I noticed that none of the members have notification for this enabled as it's just been set up. And also, I wouldn't understand why someone wouldn't want an inline notification if they have been mentioned. If people really do complain that they are getting an inline notification because they are being mentioned, then this can be disabled. But I kinda think its better kept enabled for all with the disable ability, because that would kind of defat its purpose if everyone had inline notifications disabled.

Meanwhile users can individually enable or disable their email notification of mentions as required. The default is disabled.

*an incline notification is the little notification that appears at the top right of the screen when an action happens. In this case when someone mentions you using the @ sign.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

@ChrisSilver I got the notification - don't know if you got a reply notification though (might be doing it wrong!)

You probably got a reply notification via tapatalk as your subscribed to this topic. If you notice on the desktop site as well as a reply notification you will get a 'Chris silver mentioned you in this post' notification.

If someone mentions you in a post that you haven't posted in and are therefore unsubscribed then you will receive a notification via the desktop site. But you won't via tapatalk unfortunately (at least from testing on my side, it seems that way for me)

Discounts / Offers

It is a good idea if it is possible. I had a similar thought a while back but didn't think it would be possible to add. Go for it if you can!

It's already been implemented.

Discounts / Offers

I've noticed this isn't working for members with spaces in their username. So I am going to change the system so it doesn't allow spaces in usernames.

So this is an advanced warning to all members with spaces in your usernames, once I have made the change you may find you need to omit the space in your username at login.

I will also try to message all effected members privately to notify them of the deletion of spaces in their names once done.

Discounts / Offers

is it case sensitive?

HH

I think so. But not sure. What happens if you try logging in without capital H's?

Whatever it is at the moment it shouldn't be changed. Just getting rid of the spaces within usernames. I didn't even realise spaced were allowed as my username for example doesn't have one, but I have distinguished between the begging part and end part by using capital letters. Like you have too. Which I think is a perfect alternative to the use of spaces.

Discounts / Offers

I've noticed this isn't working for members with spaces in their username. So I am going to change the system so it doesn't allow spaces in usernames.

So this is an advanced warning to all members with spaces in your usernames, once I have made the change you may find you need to omit the space in your username at login.

I will also try to message all effected members privately to notify them of the deletion of spaces in their names once done.

I have a space in my user name and it has been working fine. I got a "mention" notification from another forum member yesterday. It worked fine then.

@HawkHybrid Yes that works.

@ Yea for some reason yours seems to work fine, but it doesn't work for @Dr Dime for example. Both if I type and if I press the mtnions button. And their will be conflicts if using spaces, for example a new user might register with a username soemthing Highland and then the mentions system woudln't know what to do.

Spaces will be removed shortly, possibly this evening, perhaps in a few days as I am currently away on a business trip.

Discounts / Offers

New usernames are now required to be without spaces. I will manually go through the member list of users with spaces in their name and update to remove spaces and email. Please use your new username without spaces when logging in.

Discounts / Offers

When I use it I don't type the person's name out, I often just hit the @Mention button in their mini-profile on the left and it pops their name in for me.

That wasn't working when I was trying to mention Dr Dime. Most probably due to the space in username.

Discounts / Offers

• 6 months later...

Just to let everyone know, that although the mentions button doesn't appear anymore the mentions feature is built into the new site. So all you need to do is put the @ sign and then start typing the users name you wish to mention and a popup list of members to chose from as you type will appear.

For example:

@TCSilver :)

Discounts / Offers

Archived