• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

.999 silver vs .925, .900 silver etc...

MickB

Today I recieved a Lesotho 1oz silver 1979 year of the child coin which is .925 grade. Recently I managed to get a .900 silver Yves Saint Laurent coin.

Even though they are both silver I don't feel as if they belong to my stack as they aren't .999 grade. Only bought them as I got them for a good price but wouldn't usually bother with them.

Much as I like them I feel that they aren't as pure & I can't get my head around including them.

Maybe OCD or I have turned into a snob. It has stopped me from buying Britannias pre 2013.

Does anyone else have the same view?

Depends whether you are taking pleasure in collecting terrific looking coins and the very collectible Britannias or simply adding to your weight in silver.

If the latter then stack cheap Maples which are 9999 even better than 999.

Forgot about the .9999's, got a few of those as well. I've even got a silver medallion that weighs 200 grams but I'm not sure of the fineness of that. Although all have been bought cheaper than they go for I always feel I should get rid of them first into the eBay jar when the time comes. Maybe I should just offload them anyway and let my OCD win the day.

No, to me, silver is silver, whether it is 0.900, 0.925, or 0.999. I just add it to my spread sheet, converted into 0.999. So if I had a 28.28g Sterling silver coin, it would be in my stack as 26.16g of .999 silver.   

Maybe OCD or I have turned into a snob. It has stopped me from buying Britannias pre 2013.

I'm snobbish the other way as IMO the earlier Brits in britannia silver are far superior to the latest ones, the RM has certainly dropped the ball in the quality stakes. However if you're just interested in stacking silver anything 999 will do I suppose, although the old UK coinage in sterling silver usually fetches a premium

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I have lots of .925 and .900 in my main stack. I would hardly say a Morgan dollar is not worth it.

That said my old English currency sixpence, threepence, etc, I do not add to my main stack they to me are junk silver.

Horses for courses I guess. :)

Couldent care less, have over 500 oz of pre 47 50% silver, nice 250 oz pure equivalent.

Also have some .800 continental, sterling and .999

Im part of the silvers silver brigade.

Iv got to be honest my stack isnt pretty but my cost per ounce average is very good.

I never even consider anythning below 999. I like silver britannias, but never collected them before when they werent 999, and 2015 design is my favourite :) Also with gold, nothing but pure 24k. :)

I also have one thing, it must be written on it 999, words fine silver are not enought. Old britannias were "fine silver" but not 999. I know philharmonics or ASEs are 999, but I only collect coins that are written 999 on it! :) Sometimes I may be the situatuon where I need to sell my coins in a hurry, and perhaps buyer is not fammiliar with purity or type of coin, so it must write purity on it.

2015 panda (Ag, or Au) is ridiculous to me, because they didnt stamp weight and purity on it. Like pandas, but will never buy such a coin without those marks on it.

The only thought I have is I have proof silver 2008 and 2014 Britannias, the pure 2014 colour is a bit nicer

I also prefer the more copper colour of the 22k sovereign than a 22k gold Britannia

Personal and trivial opinions really but there you are :D

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

• Founder & Administrator

@MickB I completely understand. I also only collect .999+ silver and gold. The only exception I would make would be for silver antiques, where .900 or .925 is perfectly fine, and actually more desirable as harder warning. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

extracting silver from less pure items is more of a

pain. for truly collectible items that should never

see the melt pot, it's never an issue. I believe the

rational choice is to choose the purer item given

everything else is the same.

HH

pre-2013 Britannia .958 still contain a full 1oz of silver hence the weight of coin was 32.45g, so you should include in your stack.

Also, some pre-2013 coins had a unique design and are "proper" Britannia alloy, so will fetch much higher value than other coins when you sell on in future.

Regarding .925 coins, I have crowns that weigh 28.28g, so as .925 alloy they contain 26.16g silver or 0.84oz; hardly something I'd ignore!

Archived