• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake Pandas

Agpanda

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although not a one case fits all in respect of flagging potential 2011 fakes, the attached 'guess the faults' competition is a good eye opener to what to look for.

Using this as a ready reckoner has saved me some heartache over the last couple of years and does train your eye to look for the devil in the detail 

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-12452-silverstackers-fake-panda-competition-page-1.html

• 1 month later...

Yes, a description disclaimer such as that usually means the seller knows they are fake.

With my limited knowledge of pandas and only a quick glance: the temple don't look right but the pandas look OK, the capsules don't seem original and the plastic cases are not ones I've seen before. 

needs dave to look at them but if he doesn't reply to this post, it means they're genuine and he's going to bid on them! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Ha ha yeah SS, I've trying to pick up a few different pandas recently and theses looked like a nice start but I definitely think they're fake, being that they're not in original capsules and they're in plastic sleeves is a give away, steer clear I reckon.

'I will state that I cannot validate if these are pure silver or plated as I do not know how to identify..'

almost defo fakes, anyway I wouldn't want to deal with

someone who don't know what they are doing (it may

be toxic or worse). being able to test for silver is the

most fundamental skill in buying silver. he makes it

sound like rocket science with heavy machinery.

HH

So he sells his fake pandas to someone else who sells them as real pandas.He knows they are fake but he's a clever dick and thinks that stating he cannot validate circumvents all rules. Its a f-ckin joke eBay. Can you imagine selling a fake branded handbag eBay may even care. But because its silver its deemed OK.

As HT says and does if you buy from eBay and the coin appears fake claim straight away remember you are not allowed to send fake coins through the post it is illegal.

The 2006 silver panda was the last double sealed (plastic pouch) year.    If i recall correctly a small number were made at the Shenzhen Mint this year.  However, the majority are not double sealed.

So did the pre-2007 pandas all look like the ones in this listing? I've not seen any mint-fresh pandas before the last couple of years.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

So did the pre-2007 pandas all look like the ones in this listing? I've not seen any mint-fresh pandas before the last couple of years.

No there are a few different patterns.  The most common is pic 2.  Pic 1 is a fake!

2010-50Y-gold-CF.jpg

2002%2BSilver%2BPanda%2BRev.JPG

Each mint had its own seal pattern and this indicates where the Panda was struck.

Thanks. This is getting far too complicated for me. I don't think I'd better try buying any older pandas, I'm bound to get ripped off.

A good trustworthy source is important.  I guess for me the more you see the more you pick up and learn what to watch out for.  Lots of good tips in this thread about capsule style, coins features and different seals.  You could always buy graded. 

There is a huge market for graded panda coins :)

A good trustworthy source is important.  I guess for me the more you see the more you pick up and learn what to watch out for.  Lots of good tips in this thread about capsule style, coins features and different seals.  You could always buy graded. 

There is a huge market for graded panda coins :)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2012-Panda-coin-1-oz-999-sterling-silver-coin-NGC-MS70/32240019059.html

Aliexpress has 2012 1oz Silver Panda's graded MS70 by NGC they have only 999 left.

Hi, I'm new to this forum, fairly new to stacking , my question is ...isn't it possible to have these fakes removed before the end of sale. I used to be a fake spotter on ebay for the Clarice Cliff society, There were lots of fakes, there were plenty of ''bandware'' plates, bandware is a plate that his a painted ring or band on theoutside of the plate, with no design on the plate, these were low cost dinner services but still had the CC mark to the rear of the plate, these were shipped abroad and a transfer printed onto them, usually a scene of children playing, which were easy to spot. These were then reported to the CC society who had Ebay remove the items.

I recently bought a fake dollar, knowing it was fake, on the one hand the guy attested to its fineness but 'covered' himself by stating he didn't know if it was a replica. I bought it to have a look at for my 'knowledge of fakes' I received a refund but I can't understand how people are allowed to sell them. Ebay never got involved and took no action against the seller. Surely if this action was taken there would be little market in fakes! I'd be interested to know if there is some kind of authority like the CC society for silver/PM that could do the same!

Bit late in the day as only 5 mins left, however if anyone on here is purchasing these, please dont pay.. they are fake.

Cheers

Dave

Some one is going to be very disappointed when the postman turns up  :(

Bit late in the day as only 5 mins left, however if anyone on here is purchasing these, please dont pay.. they are fake.

Cheers

Dave

I'm certainly no panda expert, but I saw those earlier and knew they were fake straight away.

People really need to do their homework.

I wonder if the buyer will ever know they are fake, or just put them with a collection somewhere.

Stacker since 2013

Archived