• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I`ve been done....Fake Pandas:(

MAXlMUS

Hi Guys

I bought a few Pandas fro a chinese dealer..(I Know, I know).

It turns out they are fake wrongweight,measurements and magnetismnus:)

Here is his auction listings

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commemorative-Coins-2009-China-1-Oz-Silver-Panda-10Y-Coin-/141293226664?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item20e5bb8aa8

Did I miss something and have I got leg to stand on with Ebay etc etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

If you've bought them recently you should be OK to get your money back through ebay as they are always bragging about your protection as a purchaser,by the way I'm sorry :( you have been scammed and the very best of luck with ebay.Post up on here how you come on Maximus.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

If an item isn't "as described" and you completed the transaction via PayPal through eBay, then you should be covered under their money back guarantee. If the coin was not described as replica/plated/etc then you should pursue it through eBay Resolution Centre.

If you paid using PayPal you are fully protected.

His description clearly states legal tender AND 999 silver and as you received fakes you need to raise this with the PayPal resolution centre.

This is selling illegally and I would not wait the statutory time before escalating so call eBay / PayPal and advise them that this is a matter that should be advised to the police / trading standards etc.

Make a fuss and you will eventually get to the right department and will be refunded but be willing to stay on the phone for an hour.

Otherwise go through the normal eBay process.

Before doing this though, email the seller and notify him that these are fakes, worthless and that you will take them to the police unless you get an instant and full refund. Do not return the coins as this is valuable evidence - call it a bluff if you wish.

If you paid using PayPal you are fully protected.

His description clearly states legal tender AND 999 silver and as you received fakes you need to raise this with the PayPal resolution centre.

This is selling illegally and I would not wait the statutory time before escalating so call eBay / PayPal and advise them that this is a matter that should be advised to the police / trading standards etc.

Make a fuss and you will eventually get to the right department and will be refunded but be willing to stay on the phone for an hour.

Otherwise go through the normal eBay process.

Before doing this though, email the seller and notify him that these are fakes, worthless and that you will take them to the police unless you get an instant and full refund. Do not return the coins as this is valuable evidence - call it a bluff if you wish.

I sent him a meesage through paypal with a lot of bluster.

Here is his reply :

"Dear Friend

Allows you are not satisfied I'm sorry

Can the panda coins also I will pursue my supplier problems

And refund you the full cost

Waiting for your letter"

Im with you on that Pete.

I bought a panda off ebay last year and have always been a little sceptical of it, it weighs just over 32grams but looks legit, can I ask the weight of yours? 

Mine was more or less spot on weigh wise.

I compared to an original I have, the main differences were the coin thickness and the design was so different.

I will post some comparison pictures

Max, don't wait for the refund from him, I fell foul of this.

They'll piss you around for ages until the time expires for you to go through the eBay / PayPal channel.

File a dispute ASAP and you should get your cash back b

Stacker since 2013

Is it safe to say that buy coins from reputable dealers such as Atkinson's guarantees 100% genuine coins

I'd say it would be very, very unlikely you'd get fakes from places like Atkinsons.

Stacker since 2013

I think every stacker/collector should learn how to tell fake coins from real coins. With 2 coins side by side it is quite easy if you know what to look for.

1. Dimensions -  measure all dimensions with a vernier scale

2. Weight - Weigh with good quality digital scales (don`t scrimp)

3. Visual - Compare with a known genuine coin....The differences will become obvious.

4. Magnetism - hold the coin at a 45 degree angle and slide a small rare Neodymium magnet down the face....on the fake it will travel much quicker.

5. Sound - Rest the coin on the tip of your finger and flick/ping it with your finger. listen for differences in the tone

6. Acid -  This is a last resort as it will damage the coin. Drop some Nitric acid on the coin it is genuine it will turn dark red, if not it generally turns bluey green.

If I have missed anything please feel welcome to add guys.

Seeing this I promptly Weighed my pandas that I got from silver to go. 

Each coin was different, maybe it was my 8 quid digital scale that I got off amazon. 

one coin was weighing i n 31.17 

Then another 31.08 

Then 31.27 

None of them when below 31.08 and never went above 31.20 

Sorry to hear about this Maximus, 

Do not wait for the seller, escalate it straight away, refuse to send it back as it is an offence.

Inform Police (Police won't be interested but still report it, it is a crime) and Trading standards (they will be interested), Let Ebay know you have informed the Police and Trading standards.  

I had a fake model car sent from Bulgaria 2 years ago £150 and was promised a refund by the seller, then came all the excuses his father had died, he was ill, internet down.  Bottom line is the trader knows he has sold a fake 99% of the time so do not believe a word they say.

I hope you have paid by paypal, you will then get your money back.

PS. Tell Ebay you will give the fake coin to Trading Standards if they are insistent on you sending the coin back to the seller.

Sorry to hear about this Maximus, 

Do not wait for the seller, escalate it straight away, refuse to send it back as it is an offence.

Inform Police (Police won't be interested but still report it, it is a crime) and Trading standards (they will be interested), Let Ebay know you have informed the Police and Trading standards.  

I had a fake model car sent from Bulgaria 2 years ago £150 and was promised a refund by the seller, then came all the excuses his father had died, he was ill, internet down.  Bottom line is the trader knows he has sold a fake 99% of the time so do not believe a word they say.

I hope you have paid by paypal, you will then get your money back.

PS. Tell Ebay you will give the fake coin to Trading Standards if they are insistent on you sending the coin back to the seller.

Hi Guys,

Good news I have been refunded the entire amount and promptly as soon as I gor ebay involved.

Phew

Good news, well done.

A sticky would be a good idea, as its not fair on all the good traders out there, as the more people who get ripped off the less confidence buyers have.

Archived