• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Scottsdales 1oz Bu Ghana leopard mix up

swAgger

Prior to this weekend Silver Forum members have already bought 32 of these!

I would imagine there will be a few more bought before the weekend is out!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just realized what @Gav was pointing to: The leopard on the gold and silver coin are exactly the same but mirrored

150352_Rev.jpg?v=20170412030809&width=452017-1oz-rpub-ghana-silver-leopard.jpg

Obviously the gold coin is straight off the computer. Do you notice the off-centre die on the reverse of the silver coin? Probably the 100 Cedis Jaguar was intended for a gold coin - the denomination would be more fit for it.

And one more thing:

CURRENCY ACT - 1964 (ACT 242)

Section - 2 - Purchase of Silver Coin for Amount Exceeding Face Value

Any person who-

(a) buys or sells or offers or attempts to buy or sell; or

(b) induces or attempts to induce any other person to buy or sell; or

(c) offers or accepts or offers to accept in payment of a debt or otherwise,

any current silver coin which is legal tender in Ghana for an amount exceeding the face value of the coin shall be guilty of an offence.

Source: http://laws.ghanalegal.com/acts/id/21/currency-act

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 19:00, Gav said:

https://ighanaian.com/videos/1-oz-ghana-african-leopard-2017-999-silver-coin-mistake/

Looks like a news source in Ghana picked up on the story.

The bloke who made that vid got Ghana and Guyana mixed up a few times. Not just the wrong country, but the wrong continent. 

The bloke who made that vid got Ghana and Guyana mixed up a few times. Not just the wrong country, but the wrong continent. 

I noticed that, was it purposely made to be referring a different country? Also the article calls the coin a round, was that also a mistake?

15 minutes ago, tallthinkev said:

The video seems to be from AG Man. Me think just an average american citizen showcasing average american knowledge about territories outside the USA. 

Why this apparent ghanaian blog chose his rather small and new youtube channel as a source is rather strange. I suppose in Ghana this coin has more of a curiosity level: a coin in a denomination that doesn't exist, with a head (of state) on the coin not seen since the independence, issued by a foreign mint claiming to be legal tender.

What interests me is: either the jaguar coins are not legal tender (what does that make them then?!) but if they are, are they in breach of the currency act (see my post above).

21 hours ago, augur said:

The video seems to be from AG Man. Me think just an average american citizen showcasing average american knowledge about territories outside the USA. 

Why this apparent ghanaian blog chose his rather small and new youtube channel as a source is rather strange. I suppose in Ghana this coin has more of a curiosity level: a coin in a denomination that doesn't exist, with a head (of state) on the coin not seen since the independence, issued by a foreign mint claiming to be legal tender.

What interests me is: either the jaguar coins are not legal tender (what does that make them then?!) but if they are, are they in breach of the currency act (see my post above).

Hopefully I will get the 100 one I ordered in a few days and put it up on my channel. Least I will get the right country!

The 

44 minutes ago, Moi said:

Well, the Falklands have pumped up to 50 pound plus. There is room.

The Falklands have pumped up to $300 for top graded first release examples. 

I am getting some of mine graded. Don't forget the 100 Cedis are still available from the dealer (gs.be, yorkshirebullion via eBay). They can only start to take off once they are exclusively available from the secondary market. 

Keep in mind the cost of grading when considering your profit margin. The cost of grading a modern coin at NGC is $17 plus an $8 handling fee plus the cost of shipping. So conservatively, you're adding $30 plus the cost of the raw coin to your breakeven price (plus an additional 13% in eBay/PayPal fees should that be your access to the market).

Given the condition some of these bullion coins have arrived in, the additional cost of grading may or may not improve the value proposition on the secondary market.

If you haven't seen Numistacker's video.

Curious if NGC will give the coin any error designation for which there are many possibilities: mule/ass, tilted die, wrong denomination etc. etc. but these errors would be rather a feature of the entire series...

Following the Pobjoy Britannia example it might be  called: 2017 Ghana 1 oz Silver Leopard 100 Cedis PF 69 Ultra Cameo

In any case the nicest (intentional?) error coin this year. 

1 minute ago, Moi said:

Is it a jaguar or leopard.  Yes they pulling the strings, interesting to see yes☺

Leopard it is. They're both spotted cats and I keep confusing them. Well better than confusing Guyana ?? and Ghana ?? I guess ?

Error corrected, thanks 

If you haven't seen Numistacker's video.

2017 Ghana 1 oz Silver Leopard 100 Cedis PF 69 Ultra Cameo

In any case the nicest (intentional?) error coin this year. 

With that designation I would slab a couple of sheets.

Been talking with someone that has done a lot of research and he highlighted something I didn't know about the coin. The die used to make the coin had a very slight tilt to it.

This is why the coin is uneven, it was genius, as it made the lip on a certain side and not a unified lip which wouldn't be easy to spot in the packaging. So I suspect that Scottsdale intentionally made this feature /error, but I can't understand why the mint claims that the 100 Cedis is legal tender when it isn't.

Does anyone know if the government of Ghana is aware of this?

Archived