• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Guinea + Shilling

Guinea's, Not sure who the Guinea expert is here. Are they a third George III guinea and a half Anne Guinea. A little hard to tell the size by the pic and they both look gold.

Just starting to get in to my guinea's. Try @LawrenceChard

As far as I'm aware one is a 3rd George guinea and the other a queen ann guinea. Sorry my mistake I also have some shillings I was going to ask about. I'm not really clued up with these old coins.

4 minutes ago, Gilly said:

As far as I'm aware one is a 3rd George guinea and the other a queen ann guinea. Sorry my mistake I also have some shillings I was going to ask about. I'm not really clued up with these old coins.

Going from the size of them on your fingers I would have thought they weren't full Guinea's though. I could be wrong but the George III is a third guinea and the Anne is a half guinea. I wouldn't have the foggiest when it comes to silver sorry. 

Don't go on the finger size it's a woman's hand 😀 iv been offered them but unsure of value in that condition. Was hoping someone could put me in the picture. Thanks for replying.

1 minute ago, Gilly said:

Don't go on the finger size it's a woman's hand 😀 iv been offered them but unsure of value in that condition. Was hoping someone could put me in the picture. Thanks for replying.

Bugger I'm backing myself into a corner here. I thought they were quite feminine hands and assumed they were quite small hence thinking they weren't full guinea's 

Try this link for a bit of an idea. ½ Guinea - Anne - United Kingdom – Numista  Bearing in mind these are heavily worn.

2 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Bugger I'm backing myself into a corner here. I thought they were quite feminine hands and assumed they were quite small hence thinking they weren't full guinea's 

Try this link for a bit of an idea. ½ Guinea - Anne - United Kingdom – Numista  Bearing in mind these are heavily worn.

Ok thanks for that, nope my fingers are very manly 😀 I will have a look thanks again 👍

7 minutes ago, James32 said:

If unsure and condition is poor, just buy something else.

I think these coins go for thousands of pounds in ms grades, so don't want to walk away from it so easily if it still have a good premium even in this condition.

22 hours ago, Gilly said:

Good afternoon, could anyone tell me what these are worth roughly. I know there well worn but do they have a premium.

Thanks.

Screenshot_2024-09-30-18-50-07-44_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2024-09-30-18-50-12-51_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2024-09-30-18-50-19-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2024-09-30-18-50-23-88_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

22 hours ago, ZRPMs said:

Guinea's, Not sure who the Guinea expert is here. Are they a third George III guinea and a half Anne Guinea. A little hard to tell the size by the pic and they both look gold.

Just starting to get in to my guinea's. Try @LawrenceChard

It would be easy to tell what they are if we knew the diameter and / or weight.

The Anne looks like it has had a hole drilled then repaired, the George is creased.
Check both for edge damage and solder removal.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

Thanks for the reply, she has had them checked and they were correct the weight of them she told me. But not sure of the of the size, I thought it had been mounted but wasn't sure. I will get a more accurate description and pictures off her. And the actual weight. 

I appreciate your comment thank you.

On 02/10/2024 at 17:49, LawrenceChard said:

It would be easy to tell what they are if we knew the diameter and / or weight.

The Anne looks like it has had a hole drilled then repaired, the George is creased.
Check both for edge damage and solder removal.

😎

Good morning, I have the weight of the coins now, one is 4.14 and the other is 2.72 is this what they should weigh. Is this a half guinea then after a quick google search. And yes the 3rd guinea has a slight crease. Are they worth anything over the spot price.

Regards.

Screenshot_2024-10-04-09-27-37-39_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg

Screenshot_2024-10-03-22-10-05-81_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

They are quite poor. The third looks to be heavily cleaned also not just the wear, and the half being or at least looking like its been plugged. I wouldn't have thought from a collectors point of view that there wouldn't be a great deal of interest. Perhaps a little over spot 

Edited by ZRPMs
auto corrected Wouldn't to would. Jeez give me strength.

1 minute ago, ZRPMs said:

They are quite poor. The third looks to be heavily cleaned also not just the wear, and the half being or at least looking like its been plugged. I wouldn't have thought from a collectors point of view that there would be a great deal of interest. Perhaps a little over spot 

Thanks for that appreciated, I thought with the condition it would fetch spot price maybe 👍 

On 02/10/2024 at 13:26, Gilly said:

Screenshot_2024-10-01-09-23-42-36_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg

George III 1787 shillings or sixpences (size dependent). If approx 6 grams then they're shillings, if approx 3g then sixpences. Fairly common, but nice enough middle of the road grades (if reverses are similar grades), about £20-£35 each if shillings, about half that for sixpences.

The George II sixpence or shilling (weights same as George III), is a Lima variety, dates to 1745 or 1746 I would guess without seeing the reverse. Price wise about the same as the George III ones.

The Lima silver coin will be 1745 rather than 1746, because on the obverse it says GEORGIUS (1745) rather than GEORGIVS (1746).

1745 is the more common year for Lima silver.

Regarding the gold coins, personally I doubt whether they would fetch much, if any, premium over spot given their condition.  Still, spot is very high at the moment so it may be a good time to sell (and/or turn into modern gold bullion).

11 hours ago, Stuntman said:

The Lima silver coin will be 1745 rather than 1746, because on the obverse it says GEORGIUS (1745) rather than GEORGIVS (1746).

1745 is the more common year for Lima silver.

Regarding the gold coins, personally I doubt whether they would fetch much, if any, premium over spot given their condition.  Still, spot is very high at the moment so it may be a good time to sell (and/or turn into modern gold bullion).

Ok, thanks for that 👍

16 hours ago, SidS said:

George III 1787 shillings or sixpences (size dependent). If approx 6 grams then they're shillings, if approx 3g then sixpences. Fairly common, but nice enough middle of the road grades (if reverses are similar grades), about £20-£35 each if shillings, about half that for sixpences.

The George II sixpence or shilling (weights same as George III), is a Lima variety, dates to 1745 or 1746 I would guess without seeing the reverse. Price wise about the same as the George III ones.

Thank you 👍