• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Modern pocket sovereign scales - how much would you pay?

Before I start, I should point out that I am not selling these.

I seeded a friend who is good at making things with the idea of making some modern pocket sovereign scales, mainly because the antique brass ones are hard to find and are very expensive if you want them in decent condition.

Also, this seemed like a good opportunity to add the ability to test quarter sovereigns that didn't exist back then. If you're unfamiliar with how useful these scales are, they not only check that the sovereign weighs the right amount, but also that it is sufficiently dense by checking that the coin fits within the circular recesses as well as being thin enough to fit through the relevant slot (not yet shown on the prototype below). I.e. a fake sovereign made out of gold plated copper/silver will fail miserably as it won't be able to satisfy all three tests.

I'm looking forward to trying it out when it's finished, but as it's machined from a block of aluminium by computer, it would obviously be possible to make extra copies. I told him there would be interest in these (I mean, I'm sure interested!) but before he goes off and makes a big batch of them...

1. Would you want one?
  2. How much would you pay for it?

I can pass on any suggestions for improvement too.

Here's a prototype I've been shown (before adding the thickness slots):

image.png.fc6002e07a48ab3d4a8fba58a71d2a36.png

It’s made out of aluminium?

Hard to see but it looks like the weight is attached to the balance arm and not machined out of one block?

Looks to be around 140mm long?

5 minutes ago, Mysstree said:

It’s made out of aluminium?

Yes, but bronze would be even easier to machine apparently. I don't know what would be the best material in the long term.

5 minutes ago, Mysstree said:

Hard to see but it looks like the weight is attached to the balance arm and not machined out of one block?

It's machined from one block. There is a step because the alignment was messed up when turning it over. The first version had a separate counterweight that screwed on, but I suggested a single piece would come across as more trustworthy!

6 minutes ago, Mysstree said:

Looks to be around 140mm long?

135mm.

Would you want one?

It’s something i have been considering. Although not a machinist i know how to use the equipment at a get by standard and i had thought about making these though i would probably have farmed out a lot of the manufacturing.

I would suggest that a bolt on weight would be better from an economic point of view if the arm has been machined out of a solid billet. Thats a lot of waste.

CNC the arm without the weight would be far less expensive and for the weight you could use a heavier and more dense material so the weight was a lot smaller physically.

i would pay as much as an antique one if the quality of the new was up to that standard (which it looks to be) however how often would one individual be using one of these, most folk are not buying sovereigns frequently.

7 minutes ago, Mysstree said:

It’s something i have been considering. Although not a machinist i know how to use the equipment at a get by standard and i had thought about making these though i would probably have farmed out a lot of the manufacturing.

I would suggest that a bolt on weight would be better from an economic point of view if the arm has been machined out of a solid billet. Thats a lot of waste.

CNC the arm without the weight would be far less expensive and for the weight you could use a heavier and more dense material so the weight was a lot smaller physically.

i would pay as much as an antique one if the quality of the new was up to that standard (which it looks to be) however how often would one individual be using one of these, most folk are not buying sovereigns frequently.

This was the first prototype, with a screw on counterweight:

image.png.cada753b257f1b359253ea5add751a7b.png

Certainly quicker to make, and with less waste, but my concern was that you could easily replace or tamper with the counterweight and make it look to someone else that a fake coin was legit. He made the one-piece arm after I mentioned that, but maybe going back to that simpler design would be best if it's just for personal use (I have no idea what the difference in production costs is).

Personally I was thinking I'd only pay about £20-£30 for one as it would be a nice novelty and still cheaper than antique ones, whilst being able to test quarter sovereigns as well.

I will pass on your comments. thanks!

I'd be happy with one with the adjusting screw as long as it was fully calibrated and the screw was locked in place.

Wouldn't use it for sales, just to test sovereigns I'd bought.

Further thoughts having a little time to think about this.

If they could be made for £30 am sure they would sell. I would buy at that price, having looked at antique ones they are quite expensive.

its something i would want to be able to carry around if i was out at say a coin fair for example to test a sovereign so it may be a tad to long at 135mm.

The counterweight issue is only a problem if the scales are not yours. you’re not going to be looking to buy a fake. (Well i would not think so).

could it be made so that the counterweight was a pound coin that was retained on the arm similar to the sovereign? Maybe not as accurate but good enough i would have thought?

I have an idea as well linked to that that would make it shorter but still retain the 1/4 sov inclusion.