• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign thicknesses

Rather than trusting what it says on Numista, would anyone be able to tell me empirically (using digital callipers) what the thicknesses of these coins are:

* Sovereign

* Half sovereign 

* Quarter sovereign

It would be interesting to see what variance there is across each type. Some designs from other regions could have a measurable difference in thickness depending how empty the volume below the rim is. Even a UK sovereign with a mint mark should be a miniscule amount thinner than one without a mint mark, although I'd be surprised if that would cause enough difference to be measurable.

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

(ultimate goal is to work out how thick the slots should be in a modern set of pocket sovereign scales)

My sovereign gauge was specifically  made for this reason as I know that the 1911s sovereign is very slightly wider than a regular London Mint sovereign of the same year, same with some Gillicks and I think 1925sa Half Sovereign.  I think if you stick to the original Victorian Balance scale width and slot thickness, you should be OK.  Get your hands on one, plenty for sale on eBay and I think Orpster was selling one not so long ago. 

Never Chase and Never Regret 

42 minutes ago, Spyder said:

My sovereign gauge was specifically  made for this reason as I know that the 1911s sovereign is very slightly wider than a regular London Mint sovereign of the same year, same with some Gillicks and I think 1925sa Half Sovereign.  I think if you stick to the original Victorian Balance scale width and slot thickness, you should be OK.  Get your hands on one, plenty for sale on eBay and I think Orpster was selling one not so long ago. 

I have a brass Harrison one but that doesn't have a quarter sovereign slot for obvious reasons. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there on what the thickness of a UK quarter sovereign is (seems to range from <1mm to 1.10mm!)

18 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Rather than trusting what it says on Numista, would anyone be able to tell me empirically (using digital callipers) what the thicknesses of these coins are:

* Sovereign

* Half sovereign 

* Quarter sovereign

It would be interesting to see what variance there is across each type. Some designs from other regions could have a measurable difference in thickness depending how empty the volume below the rim is. Even a UK sovereign with a mint mark should be a miniscule amount thinner than one without a mint mark, although I'd be surprised if that would cause enough difference to be measurable.

Sounds like a good idea.

I think brass may be better, or stainless steel, mainly to reduce wear and ensure accuracy amd longevity.

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Sounds like a good idea.

I think brass may be better, or stainless steel, mainly to reduce wear and ensure accuracy amd longevity.

😎

I intended to post this in response to:

But they are both relevant and on a similar theme.

😎

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

Sounds like a good idea.

😎

I suggested he should sell you some Chards branded ones if he makes lots //thesilverforum.com/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png