• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why are Britannias so much cheaper than eagles, pandas, Krugerands or maples? (USA)

CalebE

I decided to buy some more government minted silver, as most of what I have is junk silver and privately minted (with the exception of a couple eagles, a philharmonic, a maple leaf, and a Britannia) and the cheapest coin I can find are the Brits. I’d think with all the security features, they’d be a few bucks more, so why are they several dollars cheaper?

• ChrisSilver changed the title to Why are Britannias so much cheaper than eagles, pandas, Krugerands or maples? (USA)

In the US, Brits are unloved by Americans so the premium has to be low to sell them. It's mainly because coins like ASE's are your "home" coin and Brits are the most popular in the UK for the same reason. 

A Britannia in the UK is CGT free which also helps with the premium - Personally this doesn't warrant a premium as most people don't get anywhere near the limit with silver coins. 

I can buy Britannia's in Europe, account for VAT and still save money over buying from a dealer here. 

6 hours ago, Bratnia said:

[joke]

Because with all of the political clowning the UK demonstrates to the rest of the world anything stamped with Made in Britain is deemed to be cheap/unreliable

[/joke]

Honestly if it weren’t for the /joke I’d think you were serious, considering the cabbage Prime Minister incident

(joke)

8 hours ago, CalebE said:

Honestly if it weren’t for the /joke I’d think you were serious, considering the cabbage Prime Minister incident

(joke)

A great country with great people and potential, repeatedly hindered by clowns, due to anyone with any sense not desiring to be a clown. But good for gold (bad for Pound).

A good enough reason for anyone to hold gold. Pounds are repeatedly debased. The state has no need to borrow (sell Gilts) as it has a money printing press (only issue Gilts so that pension funds are obligated to buy them that opens up a state grab of pension money). Banks take anything you deposit with them to be a loan, aren't custodians of your money anymore, where the interest rates paid and terms/conditions are in their favour. Increasingly difficult to get 'your' money back out again. Great for bankers, they can bet with that 'borrowed' money and heads they win, tails and taxpayers bail them out - but where the forward time push is for lenders to be 'bailed in' (reduction of taxpayers risk, onus transferred over to those that 'lend' ("deposit") their money).

As a comedy show for entertainment purposes - more often a laugh a minute. But a chuckle killer when the audience realise that they're also participants of the show.

father-dougal-presses-the-button-542212222.gif.af8d3705a4e242bb566d890bcf290c95.gif

Good practice is not to lend to banks, nor to the state (you probably already have more than enough exposure to that already via your pension pot). Leaving stocks, gold, land as likely better choices, and even better if you diversify across those rather than concentrating into just one.