• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake or not? Whats missing?

Ok so may need a bit of help to understand if I am missing something here. All other tests other than XRF (not done) come back clear/good. Ping test, weight, diameter, thickness, detailing on side of coin, signs of wearing in keeping with ages of coin.…. 

But the sigma pro mini sends them into the red when do the conductivity test. I tried out a bunch of my other crowns no issues all in green. 

Those 3 crowns look very real so I am rather perplexed. 🤔 

@James32 @BackyardBullion @Fadeingstar or anyone that has a sigma pro mini would appreciate thoughts and input. 

NOTE: After entering the weight of the coin and testing dimensions this was within acceptable limits, just that conductivity that was out of sync, and only on 3 coins?!  

IMG_3536.jpeg

IMG_3535.png

IMG_3534.png

IMG_3533.png

IMG_3529.jpeg

Edited by Silverman2U
Update

Really hard to say without seeing the coin.

Have you done a specific gravity test?

The only other tests available would be an acid test (destructive) and take it to a dealer and have them check it over. 

The only thing I can think of is that the database of coins that the sigma is based off doesn't have that coin in it and therefore the results are skewed. 

Sorry I cannot be more helpful!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

Really hard to say without seeing the coin.

Have you done a specific gravity test?

The only other tests available would be an acid test (destructive) and take it to a dealer and have them check it over. 

The only thing I can think of is that the database of coins that the sigma is based off doesn't have that coin in it and therefore the results are skewed. 

Sorry I cannot be more helpful!

Yes thanks was my thoughts at moment too.

May just give sigma a call too. 

Just now, Silverman2U said:

Yes thanks was my thoughts at moment too.

May just give sigma a call too. 

Not done SG test, easy enough to do on these old coins. That’s up next. :) 

19 hours ago, Silverman2U said:

just that conductivity that was out of sync, and only on 3 coins?!  

Well, those test results seem to be way off, unfortunately... (especially the latter two which are completely out of the range). Only XRF test or at least standard Sigma test, if successful, can dispel doubts at this stage I'm afraid.

I have analysed many old crowns on sigma devices and I would not be overly alarmed at this at all, as long as everything else checks out.

The sterling silver setting is looking for something that is 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper.

The problem with genuine 100+ year old crowns is that the 7.5% non-silver component usually contains additional metals beyond copper, and while the amount of silver is fairly consistent, the proportion of the other metals (call them impurities if you prefer) is not very consistent and is enough to throw the readings out of range - usually off to the right of the scale.

Ultimately, sigma testers pretty useless for testing old crowns because the alloy varies so much.

16 minutes ago, CollectForFun said:

BTW, haven't you tried testing those coins with some of the other silver settings than just sterling?

I don't think there would be any merit in doing that. Hunting around for an alloy it appears to match won't mean it's made of that alloy.