• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Most Historic Silver Coin!

I just wrote another article at HobbySilver.com! Today it was about what I believe to be the most influential and historic silver coin in world history. (the 8 reales might be number 2).

https://www.hobbysilver.com/articles/a-silver-icon-maria-theresa-thaler

Thought you would like a read! 

Well, thanks for the article. I admit it was a good read, rather on the "lighter side" in terms of factual information or deeper analysis of the coin's significance during all those centuries, but I get that was not the ultimate goal.

There's so much that could be said about all the variants of this coin... There's over 100 catalogued variants of the 1780 restrike itself, many of which can be obtained quite easily, thus representing an ideal object of interest for a curious coin collector.

Of course, the current modern restrikes have only a little to do with the illustrious history of this coin, but I agree they may represent an interesting addition to either a stack or a collection also of someone who is not so much interested in appreciating the coin's actual historic origins. I just feel sorry every time I see someone is unaware that their modern-day restrike is not a coin minted in 1780...

Edited by CollectForFun

3 hours ago, CollectForFun said:

Well, thanks for the article. I admit it was a good read, rather on the "lighter side" in terms of factual information or deeper analysis of the coin's significance during all those centuries, but I get that was not the ultimate goal.

There's so much that could be said about all the variants of this coin... There's over 100 catalogued variants of the 1780 restrike itself, many of which can be obtained quite easily, thus representing an ideal object of interest for a curious coin collector.

Of course, the current modern restrikes have only a little to do with the illustrious history of this coin, but I agree they may represent an interesting addition to either a stack or a collection also of someone who is not so much interested in appreciating the coin's actual historic origins. I just feel sorry every time I see someone is unaware that their modern-day restrike is not a coin minted in 1780...

Well said...In the video below the article I go much more in depth as you mentioned. I think the general public that runs across it would love a macro look. Micro is available if needed lol!

7 hours ago, CultureOfCurrency said:

Well said...In the video below the article I go much more in depth as you mentioned. I think the general public that runs across it would love a macro look. Micro is available if needed lol!

Sorry, missed there is also a video! The video is very nice and the review of the coin is very well balanced so I think anyone who watches it and did not know much about the coin before, must get intrigued immediately - well done!

As you're an American and European history can be quite complicated even to a European, I think you can be excused a couple of small inaccuracies (such as her father being Charles VI, not IV, and that she died 1780, not 1790). It's also worth mentioning that the coin was not "allowed" to be minted in the UK, France, Belgium or India - the issues from these countries were unauthorized - almost counterfeits, one might say. But this all just adds up to the interesting story of this coin :)

Also just fyi, your specimen in the video looks to be the current modern Vienna issue. One day I may get myself to list some of the surpluses of my collection of these thalers on here, should you be interested to obtain some of the older variations :)

Love the thalers I’ve got, all modern re strikes but they’re a silver coin I don’t mind handling without gloves haha, which is always nice

You know why you can’t trust atoms?