• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

MS70 Jubilee or PF70 Coronation 5 Sovereign

Hi, i’m looking for some advice on which coin would be the best choice investment wise. I have enough to buy just one and torn between a ms70 2022 jubilee 5 sovereign or a pf70 2023 coronation 5 sovereign. 

Despite proof coins tending to be more desirable I was wondering if the ms jubilee 5 sovereign will still do well over time or will the proof coronation be the better choice for investment over time? 

Many thanks for any advice you may have. 

I myself would value a proof over a bullion being they are only a couple of years apart. 

Personally I would look for a Memorial Proof still available much less than the Jubilee, I think it is a sleeper and will do well in the future, especially if KCIII does not make much past 80

Never Chase and Never Regret 

8 minutes ago, Spyder said:

I myself would value a proof over a bullion being they are only a couple of years apart. 

Personally I would look for a Memorial Proof still available much less than the Jubilee, I think it is a sleeper and will do well in the future, especially if KCIII does not make much past 80

I was lucky enough to have already brought a memorial proof, would you say buying another one would be the smart move over the coronation? I’ve heard a few people mentioning how the memorial could be a sleeper but not sure on what to expect from the coronation.

34 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Were the proofs only available in sets? Plenty of BU versions around but proofs likely to be rarer if only from split up sets

22 minutes ago, cjbcomm said:

Were the proofs only available in sets? Plenty of BU versions around but proofs likely to be rarer if only from split up sets

I believe the proofs were only available in sets 

If it was me, I would purchase which one resonates most with me / which one I prefer.

A lot of money to be spending spend on something, and if you cannot have both, that's why I'd go for the one that would make me happy and I'd get pleasure from owning.

With my own stuff (mostly bullion sovereigns and half sovereigns, but some rare ones, plus other bits and bobs), I see myself as a custodian until the next person. I want to enjoy what I'm holding.

But if you aren't bothered about that, then hopefully feedback on which one is likely to be more liquid / in demand in the future will help. I can't comment on that though (sorry).

Best wishes. 

4 minutes ago, Esjayc said:

If it was me, I would purchase which one resonates most with me / which one I prefer.

A lot of money to be spending spend on something, and if you cannot have both, that's why I'd go for the one that would make me happy and I'd get pleasure from owning.

With my own stuff (mostly bullion sovereigns and half sovereigns, but some rare ones, plus other bits and bobs), I see myself as a custodian until the next person. I want to enjoy what I'm holding.

But if you aren't bothered about that, then hopefully feedback on which one is likely to be more liquid / in demand in the future will help. I can't comment on that though (sorry).

Best wishes. 

Really appreciate the advice, many thanks! 

Both are remarkable (5) sovs!

if i had to choose..

1) as already pointed, coronation proofs only come from sets while jubilee dont and

2) total coronation mintage is aRound 1000, while jubilee? (I dont remember)

3) a 70 years of reign jubilee is indeed a unique achievement, but in my opinion a coronation is more “official” and will be more sought after in the future

happy hunting 

Just as a counter the bullion quintuple jubillee was limited toa pretty low number, I think about 375?

While it's a bu it is a matte finish so it's a little different. Also the quintuple bu and the piedfort proof were released after the proof sets so they are actually the last soverigns released while the queen was alive. Maybe that's not worth a premium, I'm not sure but I do have one myself I bought at what I considered a bargain price.

I also have the proof coronation quintuple which I think is a very special coin especially as its a unique crowned portrait.

I'd say if the jubilee is significantly cheaper and you like the design it could be a good buy however as an investment, price dependant, I'd take the Coronation all day long. It's probably quite telling that we really are not seeing many of these for sale, I suspect people see potential for the future with these.

• ChrisSilver changed the title to MS70 Jubilee or PF70 Coronation 5 Sovereign
On 23/07/2024 at 03:14, apachebleu said:

Just as a counter the bullion quintuple jubillee was limited toa pretty low number, I think about 375?

While it's a bu it is a matte finish so it's a little different. Also the quintuple bu and the piedfort proof were released after the proof sets so they are actually the last soverigns released while the queen was alive. Maybe that's not worth a premium, I'm not sure but I do have one myself I bought at what I considered a bargain price.

I also have the proof coronation quintuple which I think is a very special coin especially as its a unique crowned portrait.

I'd say if the jubilee is significantly cheaper and you like the design it could be a good buy however as an investment, price dependant, I'd take the Coronation all day long. It's probably quite telling that we really are not seeing many of these for sale, I suspect people see potential for the future with these.

Just trying to catch up with a few threads. Checking my notes the official mintage of the matte quintuple Platinum Jubilee was 750 coins and I’d imagine they were all sold. Unlike yours, my own one wasn’t a bargain price though, as I bought a MS70 from a dealer.

I cut back on the Coronation sov and settled on a PF70 full sov coin rather than the quintuple though. My one consolation is at least I can say Charles only has tiny ears on my small coin.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

On 14/07/2024 at 18:41, SovereignStacker4 said:

I believe the proofs were only available in sets 

Correct. The Mint were advertising the 5 coin sets (the only set containing the quintuple) as a limited edition of 1,050 sets. The smaller coins were also available to buy individually so their mintages were higher, although I think that the double may have only been available to buy in the 5 and 4 coin sets (not sure).

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)