• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Victoria Young Head full Sovereigns (1838-1887)

Martin1968

It depends on the date and condition if they're worth more than bullion value. 

For the intrinsic gold value try spot price per Oz multiply by 0.2534. 

You should be able to get within 1 or 2% of this number from reputable dealers (less if they're very worn, light or damaged, ex mounted etc) and perhaps 1-5% over this on the 2nd hand market at present (possibly a little higher for shields)

You might also be able to get a higher return as I mentioned if they're especially high grade or certain rarer dates

As stated. Asking the price of any sovereign in general terms and if they are any good to stack is a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string?"

A good book to get you started is image.jpeg.d9a21bc625ad28da995d3a2066ba4898.jpeg It's full of great info and also give you an Idea of rarities. Also condition has a lot of sway over the price. 

If your just after stacking gold. In my opinion the humble sovereign is a great start. They can be bought at or vey close to the spot price and on the odd occasion you may be in the right place at the right time and get them under spot. They are quite liquid in so much as they are quite easy to sell on even if it is to a dealer that may give a little less than the second hand market. Especially if you have a larger quantity to move on.

On balance, I'd say they were good but the first question should be what do you want from them? Or, Why are you buying them? 

1 hour ago, Martin1968 said:

What is the Victoria Young Head full Sovereigns  (1838-1887) worth and are they good enough to hold ? 

If you can get them at the right price they're worth buying, but they're not worth buying at any price.  Get some idea of what they're worth, and buy if they're in decent condition (there are a lot of munters out there) and at the right price.  Mix and match with other types of sovs if you feel so inclined.  You buy sovs for liquidity and stability of gold price.  If you want volatility, buy crypto.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

12 hours ago, ZRPMs said:

As stated. Asking the price of any sovereign in general terms and if they are any good to stack is a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string?"

A good book to get you started is image.jpeg.d9a21bc625ad28da995d3a2066ba4898.jpeg It's full of great info and also give you an Idea of rarities. Also condition has a lot of sway over the price. 

If your just after stacking gold. In my opinion the humble sovereign is a great start. They can be bought at or vey close to the spot price and on the odd occasion you may be in the right place at the right time and get them under spot. They are quite liquid in so much as they are quite easy to sell on even if it is to a dealer that may give a little less than the second hand market. Especially if you have a larger quantity to move on.

On balance, I'd say they were good but the first question should be what do you want from them? Or, Why are you buying them? 

100% get this book. Ignore the pricelist that comes with it - but the cataloging as to the different types and varieties of sovereign coins is great. 

Ensure you get the latest version, which is the second edition. Published 28 April 2021.

Search the ISBN numbers to ensure you get the latest copy. 

• ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 1908828552
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1908828552

There's a third edition in the works, apparently.  

12 minutes ago, pricha said:

A lot of these coins are ex jewelry.  They have been polished so badly they look dreadful. Unless you can recognise this from a photo you could end up paying over the odds for something that's worth gold price only. 

In my early days I was kinda caught out with this too, on an 1853 Shield.

In the seller's  photos (I don't have them), it didn't look polished in any way... and it was definitely the same coin (as I remember the wear was the same, big scratch on Vic's neck). Unless the seller thought "I'll clean up this dirty coin before I send it" 😂. Luckily, at the time, I paid bullion value for it and gold has since gone up.

Here are some comparison photos of my 1853 shield sovereign, versus one in (what I think is, but I'm no expert on grades) good condition.

Notice how the texture of the polished one looks different, is 'very yellow' (to my eyes at least), and in some angles, looks 'flat' in finish, despite the physical detail of the coin remaining.

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

No question in my mind that the 1872 is much superior. I would  say something like 'about Extremely Fine'. I am not an expert, though I do have a little experience of buying and selling these reverse shield coins. The only problem, if you wish to sell, is to find someone who shares your  - or my - opinion. I am happy to be corrected by someone with more expertise.

Edited by RDHC