• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sydney mint sovereign price

adamj

Hi All,

This is my first post here, and I was hoping you could help me with a query. I have inherited some gold coins that I am trying to price and sell. Among these is a 1959 Sydney mint coin. I see online that this is a key date, and prices are quite high for this coin. However, given the condition of mine, which is not the best, I wonder how much it would realistically sell for. I appreciate that marks and condition will affect the price, but I am curious about the extent of that impact for this key date. It's possible that my research is incorrect and that it is not a key date, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated, especially insights on how much experts here think it could sell for.

Thanks a million,

Adam

IMG-b7a01fc7434b8638855687861595029a-V.jpg

IMG-4d087d209c85face8ef816de1426a376-V.jpg

Hello Adam, welcome to The Silver Forum!

In general, and assuming specimens of a particular coin in good condition are available at the market, a subpar condition of a coin matters a lot. While I know only little about this particular coin type, based on my quick research it seems it is on the market in nice conditions quite a lot, so in my opinion, a collector's motivation to buy your coin for a premium price won't be too high, unfortunately.

As an example, recent auction result for this year (for a coin not in the best condition, either) was $576 incl. fees, i.e. ca. £455: Goldberg Auction Lot 1009. And that was a PCGS graded coin.

Please treat this only as one piece of information, just to give you an idea how a comparable coin fared on the open market. Next time you offer yours, you may fetch much higher interest in it, who knows. It also depends on how long you are willing to wait for the right buyer.

12 hours ago, pricha said:

I would chance my arm on ebay with this coin as prices make no sence on there  and you could get more than its worth . No great appeal to a collector in this condition . 

@adamj Good advice from @pricha above - all I'd add is this...

If you are not in a rush to sell it, (assuming you have an eBay account and know how to sell there) hold out for when eBay sends you their offer for '£1' or 'reduced' selling fees... you keep more of the sale value that way.