• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Seals of the Realm - Henry VIII

6 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

That looks absolutely stunning!!

I wish my 1/4 gold had lustre like that! After looking at it more closely, and putting it under light, it doesn't matter how hard I try to make it sparkle in the way gold should, and like my mirrored proof coins do, but sadly it doesn't. 

The concept, packaging, design and soft finish is exceptional but it doesn't have that gold sparkle and lustre 😞 

When you get your 1 oz gold, it'll be interesting to know if yours has the same lustre as the 2oz gold?

I am sad to say that I'm now seriously considering sending it back! 😢 

DO IT NOW!!! ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER on Make a GIF

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

3 hours ago, GoldenGriffin said:

That looks absolutely stunning!!

I wish my 1/4 gold had lustre like that! After looking at it more closely, and putting it under light, it doesn't matter how hard I try to make it sparkle in the way gold should, and like my mirrored proof coins do, but sadly it doesn't. 

The concept, packaging, design and soft finish is exceptional but it doesn't have that gold sparkle and lustre 😞 

When you get your 1 oz gold, it'll be interesting to know if yours has the same lustre as the 2oz gold?

I am sad to say that I'm now seriously considering sending it back! 😢 

Oh! That’s sad to hear. 🙁 Didn’t someone else also say their 1/4oz didn’t have a good finish? 

Tbh I haven’t yet bitten the bullet with the 1oz gold. I’m still dithering.

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Oh! That’s sad to hear. 🙁 Didn’t someone else also say their 1/4oz didn’t have a good finish? 

Tbh I haven’t yet bitten the bullet with the 1oz gold. I’m still dithering.

It is so sad 😞 

Yes, they did.

I've been comparing the Seal to 1 of my mirrored proof gold coins...

In the RM video, they said the design really 'pops', but I found it difficult to make the design 'pop' in most light settings and could only see the round Seal and not the design at all in most cases.  My mirrored proof gold coins 'pop' all the time in different light settings.

I wonder whether the 2 oz gold has more lustre or the picture that was taken that you shared altered the colour to make it more yellow gold with lustre?

I've printed my returns label ready to go back.

If the RM decided to do a mirrored proof with a gold yellow lustre and still have them as Seals or just more lustre and life in the Seal, I'd definitely be interested.

I don't want to put you off from buying the 1 oz gold, it could be to your liking. I've never had a fully frosted gold Seal or coin before and I'm comparing it against what I'm used to seeing and we all have different taste.

If you do get it, it would interesting to see what you think in hand.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

@GoldenGriffin - The fully frosted coins definitely take getting used to if you’ve only ever seen regular proofs in hand where the frosting stands out in stark contrast against the mirrored finish.

I remember the first ever matte Sovereign that I owned a few years back - it definitely felt “flat”.

That said, I may order the 1/4oz as a “trial” before going for that 1oz, though there definitely seems to be some difference in the finish at least in pics I’ve seen. The 2oz gold looks very different to be sure.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Looks nice 🙂

but not £7000 nice :(

Totally. The usual 2oz gold coins are already priced so high that most collectors are priced out. With VAT included, the price is totally insane. I can’t even imagine how some folks on FB afforded them. I can only assume they’re rich (in which case good for them!), or they’re dealers who got a special rate from the RM (in which case lucky!)

The one “positive” here is the actual mintages of these seals may be very low because of the price point.

And I don’t think those who can manage to get them VAT-exclusive really stand to lose much, if at all, in the long term.

It’s definitely more of a “curiosity” than a coin and could be desirable once they stop producing them. Or not. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

On 29/07/2024 at 19:16, ak74 said:

But local (Australian) customs will charge VAT when post/courier gets this medal from the UK (technically you will pay it to the post/courier)? Or...?

It’s changed beyond pure bullion value so should attract GST 10%. Shouldn’t attract any fees if pre declared. 

with 24k gold bullion it shouldn’t attract any fees. I’ve imported 1oz coins before with no issue (Brit’s). But this will definitely attract GST. 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

I ended up breaking down and ordered the 2 oz. silver.  If they continue the series and don’t release new ones more than once or twice a year, I’ll continue.  Living in the U.S., I never pay VAT anyway, but the price of this medal is still higher than usual.  Hope it’s worth it.  I do like the classy packaging.

• 1 month later...