• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Seals of the Realm - Henry VIII

Notwithstanding the fact that these are actually quite faithful to the appearance of a real seal (not sure why anyone would expect it to look different?!), it doesn't look very promising for this to turn into a series!

3 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Notwithstanding the fact that these are actually quite faithful to the appearance of a real seal (not sure why anyone would expect it to look different?!), it doesn't look very promising for this to turn into a series!

99.99% sure you won't hear about any more "great seals of the realm" products. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

40 minutes ago, AR03 said:

Bought a 1/4 Oz gold but not impressed... Not fine lines, very dull... Not sure if it's meant to be dull old looking Coin/medal

20240725_094432.jpg

Mine was sent back for a refund less then an hour after receiving it 

44 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

That’s so strange because the gold looked really nice in the video. 

The magic of finding the best looking one of the batch and doing marketing on that single one....

I love mirrored proof finishes, but I can understand why they've not done it in the way I had hoped and after taking some time to think about this more, I really like it and glad they have done it in the way they have.  It's stunning!

It has, what I would describe as a soft finish and looks like what a wax Seal would.  It's easy on the eye and very tastefully done.  It's what you'd expect in that era.

It's a reproduction of King Henry VIII's Golden Seal! How rare and unusual is that!  From the Royal Mint musuem.  I expect no other mint would be allowed to do a reproduction, not even an interpretation of it.

I understand the desirability, and how special this is!

I'm excited to see which one is next...

Edited by GoldenGriffin

22 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

I love mirrored proof finishes, but I can understand why they've not done it in the way I had hoped and after taking some time to think about this more, I really like it and glad they have done it in the way they have.  It's stunning!

It has, what I would describe as a soft finish and looks like what a wax Seal would.  It's easy on the eye and very tastefully done.  It's what you'd expect in that era.

It's a reproduction of King Henry VIII's Golden Seal! How rare and unusual is that!  From the Royal Mint musuem.  I expect no other mint would be allowed to do a reproduction, not even an interpretation of it.

I understand the desirability, and how special this is!

I'm excited to see which one is next...

You will be in for a suprise when they don't make any more then!

It's been a major flop and we all know what happens to Royal Mint series that dont do very well financially.

Just now, BackyardBullion said:

You will be in for a suprise when they don't make any more then!

It's been a major flop and we all know what happens to Royal Mint series that dont do very well financially.

If they go to that extreme and not reduce mintages first on the next release, like they did with the Queen's Beasts, then yes, I'll be really surprised, however, I'll still be really happy with what I have. 

I think this release will happen no matter how many Seals are sold.  Why would any serious collector not want these in their collection?

I don't see it as a "flop" now, even if they don't sell the majority of their Seals.

I think it takes a while for collectors to change their perspective and appreciate something as special as this.

I think QEII and KCIII Seals would be even more sought after.

Let's see what happens.

Best wishes

GoldenGriffin 

I received my 2 oz silver today and am quite pleased.  I think maybe we have an item that was poorly communicated.  People were expecting something like a coin rather than a replica seal.

4 hours ago, GoldenGriffin said:

And I agree 100% with GoldenGriffin.  I would like to have a 2 oz gold but 2 oz silver was the compromise to appreciate the detail and craftsmanship of a fine old piece of history.  I’ll be curious to see what follows.

I just realized that the outer square capsule is magnetic- you can slide it open and pull out the round capsule that holds and protects the medal seal allowing for a closer inspection.  Maybe unnecessary, but pretty slick in my opinion…..

Edited by Sc391
Discovered magnetic outer capsule

Hi guys I think there’s a lot of us that even today are bitter over the monarch series been dumped so I was one of many that got shat on it may be a different format the seals series and although it pains me too agree it may be a future diamond in the rough but I’m struggling this o open the wallet even though I have a mint account I’m still bitter and would rather have next monarch series release instead happy hunting guys & gals Royboy x 

6 hours ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Why would any serious collector not want these in their collection?

The purchase price would be a good place to start for most

I do actually appreciate it's quite a pretty item but I certainly have to have a mind on how things I buy will hold value. I'm not buying to invest or expecting to make money really but I try not to lose it and this is not something i could not even consider.

I am certainly unhappy because of what happened with the Monarchs series, but I also don’t want the lingering disappointment from that experience to preclude me from enjoying special new releases.

It may sound a bit hypocritical, I know, but in reality, the Royal Mint is really the only one (imo) that releases anything that is historic and has a chance of being a future classic.

Every other Mint may have nice designs that help with adding variety and interest to a collection, but almost 99% have no real connection to anything historic, and even when they do, they fall just short of being classics.

The recent release of the Perth Mint’s 125th anniversary Sovereign comes to mind. Yeah it’s not a bad design, but who really is going to hanker for it next year at this time after the novelty has worn off? Let alone wanting to add it to their collection in 10 years’ time? It’s just another St. George and the Dragon design among numerous others. The PM ought to have worked with the RM to do the classic Pistrucci design with a P mint mark - a true modern classic grounded in history.

Anyway, my point is, this Great Seals release (even if the RM never does another one due to its performance) is unique, historical, and imo sure to be a future classic.

I’ll buy this considering it is a one-off.

If they do another seal, then awesome.

If they don’t, I’ll still have a lovely historic design that no other Mint will ever come close to replicating (not in an official capacity anyway).

P.S.: Sorry if this is an unpopular opinion.

44 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I am certainly unhappy because of what happened with the Monarchs series, but I also don’t want the lingering disappointment from that experience to preclude me from enjoying special new releases.

It may sound a bit hypocritical, I know, but in reality, the Royal Mint is really the only one (imo) that releases anything that is historic and has a chance of being a future classic.

Every other Mint may have nice designs that help with adding variety and interest to a collection, but almost 99% have no real connection to anything historic, and even when they do, they fall just short of being classics.

The recent release of the Perth Mint’s 125th anniversary Sovereign comes to mind. Yeah it’s not a bad design, but who really is going to hanker for it next year at this time after the novelty has worn off? Let alone wanting to add it to their collection in 10 years’ time? It’s just another St. George and the Dragon design among numerous others. The PM ought to have worked with the RM to do the classic Pistrucci design with a P mint mark - a true modern classic grounded in history.

Anyway, my point is, this Great Seals release (even if the RM never does another one due to its performance) is unique, historical, and imo sure to be a future classic.

I’ll buy this considering it is a one-off.

If they do another seal, then awesome.

If they don’t, I’ll still have a lovely historic design that no other Mint will ever come close to replicating (not in an official capacity anyway).

P.S.: Sorry if this is an unpopular opinion.

I completely agree, I think your approach / opinions are very well balanced on this.

Do you think you'd go for the 1 oz gold?  RM still have them available.

2 oz was available yesterday at the coin connection.

I went for the quarter oz gold, so I could afford any others that maybe released.

@westminstrel you have some amazing points in here and I agree with a lot of them.

However, for me it's been death by 1000 cuts with the mint and I am most assuredly done for now. Institutional change would have to happen for me to get excited about new RM releases.

If there is something I really like the look of I will happily pay a premium if I have to on the second hand market - but I think the majority of the time these kind of products (including the great seals) will be cheap as chips on the second hand market.

I will happily buy a seals 1 Oz gold coin for £2250 (or less) in 6 months to a year's time. 

If you like this product and will enjoy it then buy it, but do so knowing 99% chance of burning money for the privilege.

Just now, paulmerton said:

I mean...

Let's be honest here, they aren't a squeaky clean company when it comes to ethics...it's still in stock for £114 at the royal mint!

Why not go place a bid on this listing on eBay:

Screenshot_20240729-092256.png

Just now, paulmerton said:

It's the way they push stuff that really gets me:

image.thumb.png.48f44714dfc9734b10ca5477d4ad9d58.png

To the elderly and unsuspecting.

The have the gall to even ask for £3.99 post and packaging!

Just now, BackyardBullion said:

To the elderly and unsuspecting.

The have the gall to even ask for £3.99 post and packaging!

The cheekiest thing they did recently (and I feel aggrieved by this because I bought one!) was selling a Dambusters £5 proof coin that was advertised as "CARRIED ON BOARD an original WWII Lancaster".

Along with:

• ... "There are only 4 remaining operational Lancasters in the WORLD. And today you can own a superb new coin carried on board one of them"
  • ... "To be able to say your coin was carried onboard a genuine WW2 Lancaster gives it extra collectability and makes a great story to tell friends and family."
  • ... "we arranged for the Dambusters 80th Anniversary £5 coin to be carried on board Avro Lancaster B. VII NX611, known as ‘Just Jane’."
  • ... "a Proof £5 coin carried on board Lancaster Bomber NX611 – one of JUST FOUR operational Lancasters in the WORLD.

I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking that the coin had actually flown on a real Lancaster bomber, and it feels to me like that was their intention.

But no!

It turns out that it was literally only carried on board the plane which then drove around on some grass for a bit - it never actually took off because it's not flightworthy!

Also, it wasn't even a proof coin. It was just a regular BUNC.

At least that one was cheap 🤣