• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Seals of the Realm - Henry VIII

Has there been a proclamation issued for these? 

Can't see them released with obverse and reverse on 1 round 'Seal' with no denomination, but would look really good...

but then where would you stand on CGT?

The seals on wax have quite a high relief, especially on the edge - wonder if the RM have been practising a new striking technique on the latest James Bond releases - it would explain some of the issues we've seen.

Would be interesting to see the Henry Viii release and their sizes.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

1 hour ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Has there been a proclamation issued for these? 

Can't see them released with obverse and reverse on 1 round 'Seal' with no denomination, but would look really good...

but then where would you stand on CGT?

The seals on wax have quite a high relief, especially on the edge - wonder if the RM have been practising a new striking technique on the latest James Bond releases - it would explain some of the issues we've seen.

Would be interesting to see the Henry Viii release and their sizes.

I don't think I've seen anything to indicate that these would be coins. The last seals were not coins either.

5 hours ago, paulmerton said:

I don't think I've seen anything to indicate that these would be coins. The last seals were not coins either.

But the Waterloo Medal, which was previously released as a medal a few years back, was re-released as a 2-coin set this year.

So there’s a precedent.

6 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

There’s no Gazette Proclamation yet.

Anyone have any info on this series or the first seal?

I’m sincerely hoping for a 1oz gold denomination because £6,000+ for a 2oz gold is just 🤯

Does this mean it isn't a coin then?

Maybe its just a "medal" or "round"

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

There’s been no indication either way.

The website loosely says “seal” but given that they did the Waterloo Medal as a 2-coin set, I’m inclined to think they will do the seals as 2-coin sets too.

I’m hoping they don’t though - I can’t afford 2x of an entire series. ☹️

6 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@BackyardBullion depends if they class it as a coin, I’m guessing it’s not a coin as sharp eyed @westminstrel would have already pulled it on the proclamation.    

they will be banging out RM queens beast badges before the years out. 

I’ve been checking diligently but haven’t seen anything yet. 😅

2 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

It can't possibly be a coin. The silver/gold items they'd be selling would surely be analogous to the cake of wax that the seals would have sandwiched, i.e. with two different great seal designs, one on each side.

I sincerely hope you’re right, but I’m not very hopeful because there’s more money to be made in 2-coin sets.

The Great Engravers series has already had 3x 2-coin sets out of 6 releases in the series.

A minimum of 1/2 oz gold on a 22mm diameter (like a piedfort sovereign) with a mirrored high relief proof finish, I think would look best for the Seals / Coins.

I hope we can have sight on how many of them will be released early on and what the designs / monarchs are.

Then mintages....

I don't think they'd be high, but will have to see.

If done right, I doubt they'll be seen on the secondary market in the medium to long term.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

On 02/07/2024 at 23:26, BackyardBullion said:

I missed this, but yes, it also strikes me (pun intended!) that the lack of a Gazette Proclamation may mean @paulmerton is correct and these will indeed be replicas of the originals seals and not coins.

Please be true! 🙏🏽 

20 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I missed this, but yes, it also strikes me (pun intended!) that the lack of a Gazette Proclamation may mean @paulmerton is correct and these will indeed be replicas of the originals seals and not coins.

Please be true! 🙏🏽 

Please be true but also they will be overpriced based on price increases happening this week. 

Im out of these before they even come on.

Will pick them up for 75% 1 year behind release. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

9 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Please be true but also they will be overpriced based on price increases happening this week. 

Im out of these before they even come on.

Will pick them up for 75% 1 year behind release. 

It’s always the big gamble with a release like this whether or not it will be available below issue price or become unattainable. 😐

9 hours ago, Paul said:

The new RRPs for the royal mint certainly won't help the popularity of this series

The flip side being they could be rarer perhaps? Depends on mintages too, as always.

7 hours ago, GoldenGriffin said:

I wonder if the RM will do a proof and bullion finish?

From what I saw on the RM website just now, the seals don't look to be proof.

Please be mirrored proof 🙏 

Screenshot_20240703_180247_Samsung Internet.jpg

How is everyone else seeing this and I’m not?

Also, is that just two different silver seals meant to each side, or do they have KC III on the obverse?

And, that’s not the seal of Henry VIII.

5 hours ago, Sc391 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but do you think this is coming out in a large (2 oz+) version in gold and smaller in silver?  The ad refers to a gold seal, but shows both gold and silver.  

Looks like just two sizes. That’ll be good if mintages aren’t crazy. 

12 hours ago, westminstrel said:

How is everyone else seeing this and I’m not?

Also, is that just two different silver seals meant to each side, or do they have KC III on the obverse?

It just appeared out of nowhere when on the homepage.

No sight of KC III either, does not indicate whether obverse or reverse shown in image.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

The image with the silver and gold in it is interesting, as this text makes it sound like there'd only be a gold version:

Since the reigns of Edward the Confessor and William the Conqueror, seals have been used in Britain to symbolise the official will and authority of the monarch. Soon we will be releasing a remastered edition of a golden seal created for a notorious Tudor monarch. 

Also this page has a similar statement…

For the first time in history, we will be releasing a remastered edition of a golden seal created for a notorious Tudor monarch.

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/limited-editions/great-seals/

Question: If the seals go back to before Henry VIII, why are they starting with him?

Perhaps it’s because the Tudors are always seen as a ‘safe bet’? 

From the Royal Mint wording of their announcement and the lack of a Gazette proclamation, it would appear these will be replicas (double sided?) not coins. If so is there likely to be a lot of interest amongst coin collectors or will they be regarded as fringe novelty items?

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Also this page has a similar statement…

For the first time in history, we will be releasing a remastered edition of a golden seal created for a notorious Tudor monarch.

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/limited-editions/great-seals/

Question: If the seals go back to before Henry VIII, why are they starting with him?

Remastered UHD🤣

Aaaahhh😉