• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coloured Britannias

Can anyone point me to any information on the coloured Britannias please?.

I have some in my collection but cannot find any information on them, like who coloured them and are they all coloured by the same mint?

A few of my coins have German writing on the packaging and I've seen a quite few on eBay that are in Germany, so are they coloured in Germany or is that just a coincidence?

I've searched online and found very little info. One website I found has pictures of the coins with the year they were produced and the numbers produced, but I don't think the list is complete having seen other coloured Britannias for sale but not listed on the website.

Could be PowerCoin in Italy, they do a very good job of colouring brits.

It is PowerCoin who makes them all.

Edited by silvergaga
add info

12 hours ago, Pm1987 said:

I believe Scottsdale done some. Pretty sure they did the Brexit coloured shield version at least. 

Correct. I got one.

I do like coloured coins, but I agree there is not much demand yet for them on TSF.

Should change slowly over time I hope, because I have gathered a lot of arty coloured silver proofs from different countries over the years. 

Germania Mint is doing well with their coloured coins. And Le Grand Mint is following them in Europe at the moment.

All very pricey pieces, with COA's and presentation boxes.

The art Coin market (coloured, gilded, black ruthenium/rhodium etc etc) has its popularity, definitely. And i think that's a fine thing when all is said and done, if that is what you like, why not?

But it's also important to know a great great number are privately produced by third parties. These can be a company or a coin dealer or even an individual, or a partnership of a number of them. The modification they make to the coin is not officially recognized as a mint production. The third party print their own COA's and state their own in-house limited "mintage" run. This is why it's difficult to find information either now or into the future. Official original mint issued coins are easy to find information. But if online searches generally only lead you in one direction to a coin dealer or ebay, it's a third party product. The price is also set by them, and smaller "mintage" numbers are chosen to.... how can i put it politely.... firstly make the price seem justified, secondly create an appearance of investment potential.

Because of the nature of what they are- i.e. specifically the third party produced stuff - this is why coin collectors push back against it. If it isn't an official mint issue they're not interested. If you ask yourself who might buy this from me 10 years from now? It won't be a coin collector. It might absolutely be someone who likes the artwork. The question is what will they be willing to pay for a long forgotten privately issued art coin.

Which is why i always believe the unofficial stuff are for personal pleasure and appreciation as an art piece. If you love what you see and even if you have done some research and find it isn't an official mint issue, buy for yourself, but certainly not for investment.

On 30/06/2024 at 19:23, paulmerton said:

Surely RM didn't make that?!

I think you’re probably completely correct 😅. I blame it on the lazy research I did while looking for a picture to grab, places selling it described it as made by the RM, but that almost certainly just means the coin! One site described it as a rare example of a popular ‘boullion’ coin, so maybe I should have double checked the sauce…

You know why you can’t trust atoms?