• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Lion of England 1oz gold coin (reduced)

6 minutes ago, ChrisSilver said:

Just looking into this now. Hopefully the seller gets back and ships the item. 

It is unfortunate I agree. They have all been trades with members who are not long standing members. To reduce risk when trading we do advise members to read this topic:

Although not guaranteed, the risk of trading with accounts that are 3+ years with long trading history and active posts and Premium Membership etc should be greatly reduced. Any account that is under 3 years is still classified as a new account. 

This particular account is than 4 months old. 

Members are of course free to decide who they trade with, though please be aware of the risks. 

Well that's me buggered for selling anything on here then. 😄

Guys I promise I'm not dodgy. 

Sold a lot of valuable items to numerous sellers. 
I would never have seen this one coming and hope it was just an innocent error.

A little known fact that collecting Spoons was therapeutic for the Special people in society to keep them calm. Dickens 

21 minutes ago, Davidcarry said:

To @ChrisSilver, just thinking about this issue and how difficult it may be for new members to trade. If the Silver Forum had an account that members money could be paid into intra deals, eg if an item was for sale for £1000, that money could be paid into a Silver forum holding account by the buyer, have it acknowledged by the seller who then sends the item to the buyer. When the buyer gets the item they then inform the Silver forum to make the payment to the seller. I know this would take up a resource but it could be paid for by being a premium member. Only premium members could avail themselves of this process. It would encourage members to be premium members. Obviously only a suggestion but it could save some heartache waiting for something to arrive that you have paid for.

i have traded a lot with forum members and have had very good and satisfactory transactions. Everyone that I have dealt with has been honest and friendly, I would hope this would continue. Great Forum, glad I joined.

David

You're suggesting an  escrow account, to hold the money securely. Don't know how much of an overhead this would add. However these issues only seem to occur on high value transactions (funny that). So your above suggestion if adopted should only apply for eg £1500+. 

I merely mentioned this as a suggestion to resolve issues like this. The forum could put a small charge on the transaction or get more revenue from premium members to fund the account management. It could be up to individual members whether they wished to use the service or just trade peer to peer as now. It could help keep people safe when dealing with people they may need to build up trust with. It would also make it easier for new members to trade. It is similar to the great work that Backyardbullion does for some new members.

Just now, Davidcarry said:

I merely mentioned this as a suggestion to resolve issues like this. The forum could put a small charge on the transaction or get more revenue from premium members to fund the account management. It could be up to individual members whether they wished to use the service or just trade peer to peer as now. It could help keep people safe when dealing with people they may need to build up trust with. It would also make it easier for new members to trade. It is similar to the great work that Backyardbullion does for some new members.

The problem is that providing an escrow service officially requires FCA regulation.

There are professional escrow companies out there offering relatively cheap escrow services and I did contact one a few years ago as I was looking for a way to beat eBay/Paypal fees in a 100% safe way. It was difficult - they would need to do money laundering checks on  both sides AND the seller would need to video sealing the coin in the pack and the buyer would need to video opening the pack.... that only covered empty envelopes as who know what would happen if the coin was a fake.

15 minutes ago, HowardW said:

The problem is that providing an escrow service officially requires FCA regulation.

Me too I was looking into this, and I think is possible if the people don't pay for the services but donate like £3 to sustain the system. 

More silver coins on my website  

dancu.co.uk

I believe there's a well known youtuber on here that provides an go-between service as such if it's needed. It's not free but it might be worth while if anyone is worried about trust. Which is understandable when sometimes dealing with a high value.

Trouble with this situation is that John has sold quite a bit on here. Personally hope it's a genuine issue John's had and he's trying his hardest to fix it. 

The only problem with a "sustain the service" kind of optional tax is when both parties are in disagreement of what's happened.

(sent a fake coin/received real but saying it's fake) - identifying who's telling the truth could be near impossible. Like eBay, usually lands on the side of the buyer. This place would have to make a decision, which is going to negatively impact someone.

So it'll become a mine field and that pot would become a scammers target.

In theory. Someone receives real coin, says it's fake. The seller gets wrongly accused and the buyer gets the pot and the coin, keeping their reputation in tact whilst making everyone feel bad for them.

I don't think it's in the forums best interest to do it. Although utilising the go between could be worthwhile. 

12 hours ago, James32 said:

Actually just checked, I'm over the threshold 😆 

Chris! we need to raise the threshold...

𝓘𝓷𝓼𝓮𝓻𝓽 𝓼𝓸𝓶𝓮𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓹𝓲𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓪𝓵 𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮

3 hours ago, Noxemo said:

Another thing maybe is to put aside a small percentage of the monthly premium fees into a pot and should an issue arise like this then a vote can be done to use the funds to make the victim whole. Once all evidence is reviewed and is satisfactory to members. 

I've suggested this before, but it was pointed out that it's basically a public banner saying 'come shaft us as we are insured '

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On 05/07/2024 at 11:52, HowardW said:

It is sold and I have certainly paid for it ... but it's day 15 and there's been lots of excuses but no coin and no refund.

Any other members reading this should think very carefully before paying up front for anything from this seller

I have his details if you need them

More silver coins on my website  

dancu.co.uk