• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

PCGS to NGC

I personally prefer NGC slabs but also have PCGS slabs  in my collection. Has anyone ever sent off capsules to be swapped ? What is the likely result grading ? The same or higher/lower ?

Edited by pricha

9 minutes ago, KevjustKev said:

I think you can ask them to be regraded but also ask to keep it the same if the grade may go down. I think @BackyardBullion a NGC service, best ask him

@GoldDiggerDave does this, not me

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

The following is my view based on years of experience of grading and cross grading coins. Others may well disagree with me! I can only speak about what I have experienced.

If you have PCGS graded coins that you want in NGC slabs I would advise on breaking them out and sending them in raw. PCGS have higher standards and you may get a better NGC grade on a raw coin than simply asking for a crossover. 

12 hours ago, pricha said:

I personally prefer NGC slabs but also have PCGS slabs  in my collection. Has anyone ever sent off capsules to be swapped ? What is the likely result grading ? The same or higher/lower ?

Hi Pricha,   

I'm our resident NGC authorised dealer.   It's not straight forward 100% of the time,   

Upon submitting for a crossover I can select an option for the coin not to be downgraded, however this will not guarantee they will cross grade the coin at the same grade, they will just not re slab and sent back if they take the opinion it would grade the same.  

Sometimes its very straight forward coin goes in and comes back at the same grade in the NGC slab.  

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

Me personally, I would leave alone unless you think the coin is under graded and might get a better grade. Why spend extra when there is no need. I also have PCGS and NGC while trying to complete my Maklouf run.  One day it will get to the stage that I will have two complete run in both slabs or maybe exchange one for the other. 

The other option is, the coin you want to crossover, why not put a listing for same coin in the slab you want and either sell or exchange.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

That's interesting thanks. It appears while both graders are respected PCGS seem to be more strict , as the figures above show. It was just an idea to make the collection more uniform but could possibly create a few problems. The idea of cracking a mint state coin out of a slab seems scary. Fair play if it's worked to your advantage.  

I guess it depends how you're storing them as well.  NGC slabs don't fit in PCGS boxes which is a bit annoying.  Not sure if PCGS slabs fit in NGC boxes?

1 minute ago, Minted said:

I guess it depends how you're storing them as well.  NGC slabs don't fit in PCGS boxes which is a bit annoying.  Not sure if PCGS slabs fit in NGC boxes?

What has storing them got to do with the price of butter?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

8 minutes ago, James32 said:

If he wants to keep the collection all together and in order, that's not possible when some of the slabs don't fit in the box.  Certainly irritated me when I found out.  Of course, if they're not being stored in a branded box then it may not matter at all. 🙂

Just now, Minted said:

If he wants to keep the collection all together and in order, that's not possible when some of the slabs don't fit in the box.  Certainly irritated me when I found out.  Of course, if they're not being stored in a branded box then it may not matter at all. 🙂

Ahh I get you now. Tbh I just use thick coin wallets to protect the slabs and store flat. Getting one of those boxes into a safety deposit box is a no go.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On 18/06/2024 at 14:46, Minted said:

No, they are slightly taller and you cannot get the lid on the box

On 18/06/2024 at 14:48, James32 said:

Some people like it neat and tidy. My biggest moan about slabbed coins are the scratches on some of them.  Really spoils the whole idea of displaying nice coins.