• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Labour government - Potential rise in VAT

On 30/05/2024 at 06:02, dicker said:

@Roy I would think so.  Peer to peer may become significantly more popular if people were willing to say sell at 10 or 15 pct over spot.

I suspect smuggling might become a problem for the government but I am not sure that this will be thought about in any detail.

Southern Ireland (EU) and Northern Ireland land border is easily crossed. With a speed drone you can carry several pounds weight and buzz across the 10 to 12 miles distance between NI and Scotland in a little over 5 minutes.

spacer.png

The smuggling and reclaims of VAT made to HMRC would cost more than it brought in, as would the declines in the London Metals market trade (that compare in value to the amount of stocks traded in the UK each day).

IIRC decades ago farmers with farmland that spanned both NI/Eire made a fortune by driving the same cows via road and across the border to collect the export certificate, to release them back into their farmland before rising/repeating (or suchlike). The EU opted to remove VAT on gold for alignment purposes as otherwise misalignment opens up exploits/fraud that costs more than it brings in.

• 3 months later...
On 30/05/2024 at 07:16, Bratnia said:

And the global metal exchange hub of London, would move into Europe, and pretty much !*@k up the UK, and potentially even cause a global financial crisis as 5000 tonnes of gold was demanded to be moved out of the UK into Europe at a time when there is 124 times more paper gold than physical gold.

Bratnia I absolutely love your posts, your posts alone spurred me to register here, and I already regard you are a virtual brother from another mother.  I have a good instinct and you are solid gold mate!!