• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Marsh: The Gold Sovereign Series 3rd edition

2 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Received today. A nice update. The price estimate/list that is included is still a bit bizarre in terms of accuracy. Not sure where the prices come from? Wrong to the point I think I am just going to throw it away!!

Who did you order through, Andrew?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

13 minutes ago, Petra said:

Any of these types of book are usually out on prices…. all the antique and collectibles books are the same, only ever bought for referencing 🤔😮

Agreed! I bought it to see the updates since the last edition. Especially for the jubilee heads! It’s a good update but I am not going to lie, I am disappointed with the section on the jubilee head halves. What can you do though!? Ha!!

I’ve now spent a few hours in the book. Whilst I feel more could have been said about the jubilee head halves (I note I’m being selfish here because of my own interests in this series of coins) and I also think the price guide is incorrect at times (still shocked that a 2012 Quarter Proof is listed as being more expensive than the 2023 Quarter Matte Proof), it is an *excellent* update and remains the go to resource for these coins - especially with the new hammered section that I am going to enjoy reading about.

Highly recommend this, but please throw away the price guide when you buy it and then look for the Iverson/Hill guide to the Jubilee Head Halves for added and more detail on these wonderful coins!!

just a guide the only value on any gold coin is scrap price unless it is extremely rare and you can find a collector who wants one , i have sovereigns that marsh says are rare 6 and rare 7 but when you enquire your told only worth a few pound over spot it was like the old car trade book glasses guide hopeless just used for what finance companies would forward you trouble is people took it as gospel and ended up bankrupt at the end of the day somethings only worth what someone will pay FACT

16 minutes ago, bazbigfoot said:

just a guide the only value on any gold coin is scrap price unless it is extremely rare and you can find a collector who wants one , i have sovereigns that marsh says are rare 6 and rare 7 but when you enquire your told only worth a few pound over spot it was like the old car trade book glasses guide hopeless just used for what finance companies would forward you trouble is people took it as gospel and ended up bankrupt at the end of the day somethings only worth what someone will pay FACT

The price guide stipulates it is based on auction results. The only one of the 2023 quarter Matte Proof that has sold on the open market hammered for £1,890.00. Another one was offered privately for a little less. To have it in the guide at £220 is therefore curious.

Which sovereigns do you have that are R7? Just interested as they must be very nice to have!

I have a half that is R6 - that’s my best! And I think it should be R7 as it is the only known one. 

As far as i understood (and concerned), they downgraded 1874 London shield sov’s scarcity from r4 to r3. 

i sent an e mail to the editor earlier this year suggesting it (there are a dozen currently available) and i m glad they took “my” suggestion on board (maybe they would have done it nonetheless); 

goes w/o saying i m after this coin And maybe the downgrade will push prices down a bit ..)

1 hour ago, refero said:

As far as i understood (and concerned), they downgraded 1874 London shield sov’s scarcity from r4 to r3. 

i sent an e mail to the editor earlier this year suggesting it (there are a dozen currently available) and i m glad they took “my” suggestion on board (maybe they would have done it nonetheless); 

goes w/o saying i m after this coin And maybe the downgrade will push prices down a bit ..)

Lot 55 Coin Cabinet Premium auction. Is live now and auction ends on 20 September. They have it listed as a R4 (haven’t seen the update it seems!).

£2600 currently though…..

13 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Lot 55 Coin Cabinet Premium auction. Is live now and auction ends on 20 September. They have it listed as a R4 (haven’t seen the update it seems!).

£2600 currently though

Thanks for sharing this; i had seen it already .. graded 1874s aRound are more or less always the same.. this one has been “sold” several times in the last months 

11 hours ago, dvl said:

Have they updated the 2012 bullion 1/4 sov mintage? Many thanks 

For some reason they haven’t. Strange. Still rated as R and 137. This is of course wrong as the correct number is 7,362.

The RM have confirmed to me in response to an FOIA request - response received in July) that for 2012 there were 7,362 bullion quarter sovereigns minted. 

image.thumb.jpg.1eb559ea6d3f5cb68723d0be1f7ba03d.jpg

Here are the total details. (And I asked because I have a collection and wanted to add a line to my spreadsheet for mintage figures!)

IMG_6482.thumb.jpeg.6fa582b47cbd082881635433ea806787.jpeg

The whole point of getting the new book was to have updated figures and prices.

Anyway got a message from Royal Mail that my book ordered through Hive will arrive Tuesday.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

4 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Anyway got a message from Royal Mail that my book ordered through Hive will arrive Tuesday.

There are certainly updates and a whole new section on hammered coins with some breathtaking images from Spink. It’s a fantastic update. Just manage your expectations on lots of updates. There have been some discoveries and new issues since the last publication but not a massive amount of changes. I think the price guide has always been something to ignore. Though I do understand baz’s point (as above). Better to have something than nothing!!

27 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

For some reason they haven’t. Strange. Still rated as R and 137. This is of course wrong as the correct number is 7,362.

The RM have confirmed to me in response to an FOIA request - response received in July) that for 2012 there were 7,362 bullion quarter sovereigns minted. 

image.thumb.jpg.1eb559ea6d3f5cb68723d0be1f7ba03d.jpg

Here are the total details. (And I asked because I have a collection and wanted to add a line to my spreadsheet for mintage figures!)

IMG_6482.thumb.jpeg.6fa582b47cbd082881635433ea806787.jpeg

Thanks @AndrewSL76 for your help and for sharing further info re the other 1/4 bullion sovs. 70k memorial 1/4 sovs 😳 that’s a lot compared to other dates. 

13 minutes ago, YorkshireStacker said:

Amazon delivered my copy this aft, looking forward to getting stuck in and being a bookworm for the rest of the week!

Look forward to you commenting on here with wise words on sovereigns etc. from your new source of wisdom 🤔😮😁😁

On 08/09/2024 at 11:14, Spyder said:

Same message only I'm wednesday 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 hour ago, Petra said:

Look forward to you commenting on here with wise words on sovereigns etc. from your new source of wisdom 🤔😮😁😁

It'll take more than a 30 quid book before I'll be capable of spouting wise words! 🤪