• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Platinum - who's buying?

vand

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, UKStacker said:

I'm interested to see how long the run lasts for.

I'd be thinking as the futures expire the costs will rise so not,one big deal...it will rise and stall but gradually on the upcurve...I don't see it crossing more then $1200 but I see it reaching it in the next year baring a big recession or new industrial use for the platinum and palladium metals.

There will be plenty of time to watch how this plays out. The long term cycle has lasted an average of 86 months in each direction, but given how long the last trend has lasted, I think the next trend the other way will also be longer than this average.

IMO Pt is a "buy of the decade" type opportunity while the Pt/Pd ratio remains below 1 and/or Pt/Au ratio remains below 0.75.

And in accordance with "buy of the decade" you should be happy enough to hold it for a decade :)

Good video by Chris a the legend on YouTube on platinum/palladium.

His message seems to be buy the dips, there will be plenty and expect long term hold if you do. Two steps forward one step back is likely for the cycle. 

I've been buying since last August.  Two physical 1oz coins (2017 Lion and 2018 Britannia) just to have some in hand, and about six ounces worth in an Exchange Traded Commodity fund.  I'll probably buy more on the dips and then hold for a good while!

Yes, I am not chasing the price higher at this stage. Happy to sit on what I have accumulated over the last 8 months, and then add on further pullback. I still think this is a 5-10 year hold. Hopefully recent action is just the bottom getting put in.

• 2 weeks later...

I've picked up the likes of that Alderney sov in platinum at way less than spot in auctions before but I wouldn't pay the prices with VAT that UK dealers ask as I think getting your money back could be problematic unless the market price increases considerably.

6 hours ago, Murph said:

I've picked up the likes of that Alderney sov in platinum at way less than spot in auctions before but I wouldn't pay the prices with VAT that UK dealers ask as I think getting your money back could be problematic unless the market price increases considerably.

Don't buy from UK dealers get from the EU while we are still on board.

Ebay is a good place to sell to achieve over spot I have done that a few times. If prices go up considerably like they have with palladium then sell to a dealer but it will be at 90% of spot price at best (for now). 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, vand said:

Platinum has disappointed so far, but I'm still very bullish on its long term prospects.

Caught a rocket today however.. +4.8%

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=platinum&uf=

Platinum is structurally weak - it is mainly used in diesel engines that within the next few years fade away entirely because of better  technologies. Hard to see platinum ever recovering back above gold price. 

On 28/08/2019 at 19:36, MoralHazard said:

Platinum is structurally weak - it is mainly used in diesel engines that within the next few years fade away entirely because of better  technologies. Hard to see platinum ever recovering back above gold price. 

It's a backward-looking argument, and the market is forward looking.

Platinum was around before the CC was invented, and it will be around after they have become obsolete. 

3 hours ago, vand said:

It's a backward-looking argument, and the market is forward looking.

Platinum was around before the CC was invented, and it will be around after they have become obsolete. 

I like platinum, have advised people to buy at 780, Twice...they made about 25%, unless cat converters lose out to electric they there's going to be a drive up...i don't see the want in jewelry becaiuse silver can look the same or white gold, but it's still the most recognized of the high value white pms and will stay that way for a long time to come...if recommend to own it in an ETF rather then physical form though.

2 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

I like platinum, have advised people to buy at 780, Twice...they made about 25%, unless cat converters lose out to electric they there's going to be a drive up...i don't see the want in jewelry becaiuse silver can look the same or white gold, but it's still the most recognized of the high value white pms and will stay that way for a long time to come...if recommend to own it in an ETF rather then physical form though.

Nothing wrong with owning the ETF. PPLT chart looks better than it has in the past decade (no surprise there). I do like the physical though too.

5 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

i don't see the want in jewelry becaiuse silver can look the same or white gold, but it's still the most recognized of the high value white pms and will stay that way for a long time to come...

It still has prestige, platinum is considered the most expensive by most of the public.

Also it is very tough and doesn't tarnish.

Those are the pros I can see.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 02/10/2019 at 16:09, platinreloaded said:

Platinum is a must have if you want to drive vehicles with hydrogen

https://www.angloamericanplatinum.com/products-services-and-development/fuel-cell-electric-vehicles

My PhD research was studying the reduction of oxygen in brine solutions using platinum electrodes. The cost for a Pt 3mm dia. disc electrode was around £250 ex. VAT, now I’m seeing a 1oz Pt coin at £700ish 😱😵

Anyhow, Pt isn’t just used for cat converters (which also include Rh and Pd for gas cars), Pt is also used in anti cancer drugs, electronics and in fuel membranes. The reason why it’s so industrial is because of its wide range of applications. 

Gold on the other hand isn’t very reactive with many elements, but is used in arthritic medicines. As an electrode, Gold is good for detections and sensors for sulphur and glucose, but that’s about it with a few other things. So in one way, that’s why gold is seen a more PM over Pt, as well as being used for centuries as a form of currency.

The price of Pt will increase because there is a lower quantity of it in the earth compared to gold. However, technology is being improved to recycle these PMs from electronics and such that would stabilise the price, but we are talking decades in timescales.

Thanks,

C60

Archived