• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gazette Proclamation - Waterloo Medal (Great Engravers 2-coin set?)

49 minutes ago, Alz111 said:

Just received a email to say if I’m interested In the Waterloo medal and what denomination.

47 minutes ago, Steve66 said:

I also received an email yesterday so I’m assuming the release will be shortly 

From the Royal Mint? I’d registered my interest but didn’t receive any email. Boo! 

On 28/04/2024 at 20:52, paulmerton said:

Something to whet your appetites, in case you haven't seen them before.

(Paper bag for scale)

IMG_20240428_144828.thumb.jpg.cd0caaed28ff2c8cf271019f716d5725.jpg

IMG_20240428_144833.thumb.jpg.f57470abee67ebded2d3e8b03f86ecc0.jpg

IMG_20240428_144819.thumb.jpg.b52bfa827c66582f08673f1c3132495b.jpg

This has no text denominating a value, and a couple of people have said medal, would this make it CGT liable even though it's from the Royal mint?

This will be much more of a problem next month when CGT is 40% and the thershold is £0.

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."

From the moment you are born, the number of people in the world who are older than you only ever gets smaller.

30 minutes ago, Paul said:

Ive got a gut feeling this one will be a bit of a damp squib personally 

I love the Waterloo medal as its a pice of numismatic history and notoriety,  with the 2 coin sets  Great Engravers (Gothic and Petition) opens up too many variables, not to mention the expense of these coins.    

I'm looking forward to getting one of these in hand,  just concerned that the design will be lost reducing the size down to fit on a coin.

21 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

This has no text denominating a value, and a couple of people have said medal, would this make it CGT liable even though it's from the Royal mint?

This will be much more of a problem next month when CGT is 40% and the thershold is £0.

It should still be a coin on this release with the two sides being released with the kings head on the obverse and the denomination as standard. So cgt exempt. 

Aaaahhh😉

17 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I love the Waterloo medal as its a pice of numismatic history and notoriety,  with the 2 coin sets  Great Engravers (Gothic and Petition) opens up too many variables, not to mention the expense of these coins.    

I'm looking forward to getting one of these in hand,  just concerned that the design will be lost reducing the size down to fit on a coin.

Agree. I think 5oz is the minimum for this. I do hope they would do a 10oz a larger plancet rather than a thick 5oz diameter. 

unfortunately too good to miss this one. 

Aaaahhh😉

39 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

These are the oldddd dies for the medal. The upcoming release is going to be two coins, one with each side of the medal on it I'd expect. 

Plenty of things from the Royal Mint are CGT liable. Medals, bars, and remember they have made loads of coins for other countries too.

39 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

lol 🤯

1 hour ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

As others have said, the denomination will be on the obverse with KC III’s portrait, as they’re doing each side of the medal over two coins.

Just now, westminstrel said:

As others have said, the denomination will be on the obverse with KC III’s portrait, as they’re doing each side of the medal over two coins.

They make it cash so they can cash in 😢

Aaaahhh😉

Just now, Agaupl said:

They make it cash so they can cash in 😢

I know. And I’m going to be suckered into trying to get the larger silver denominations because 2oz is not doing this justice.

Though on the other hand, it might be cool to see an intricate design on a smaller coin. I don’t think we’ve ever had any modern coin with such intricate detail.

25 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I know. And I’m going to be suckered into trying to get the larger silver denominations because 2oz is not doing this justice.

Though on the other hand, it might be cool to see an intricate design on a smaller coin. I don’t think we’ve ever had any modern coin with such intricate detail.

Try the queens beast completer.

From the moment you are born, the number of people in the world who are older than you only ever gets smaller.

3 hours ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

Mate you have got the wrong end of the stick, this is a copy of the die for the Waterloo medal,  it’s a piece of numismatic history, as Pistrucci took 30 years to complete it, a deliberate go so as the RM was trying to fire him and replace with William Wyon.  

He was the only guy capable of making such a detailed large die and when he handed it to the RM in 1849 after starting in 1819 they were so petrified to actually strike any medal with the original die, they made copies with wax and electroplate.  

The RM have released collectors Waterloo medals a few times over the years,  they are now using this design to go on a coin.  

Just now, cjbcomm said:

All I know is there's a launch party on 25th July but not sure which coins this is for

The star wars acolyte coin maybe? 

Aaaahhh😉

50 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Pistrucci took 30 years to complete it, a deliberate go slow..

Or… maybe he was just Italian 🤣

2 minutes ago, cjbcomm said:

Possibly 🤣 Or maybe a Mr Men completer 🤪

IMG_6318.gif

Aaaahhh😉

56 minutes ago, cjbcomm said:

Possibly 🤣 Or maybe a Mr Men completer 🤪

Paddington 3 is due at the cinema shortly.