• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gazette Proclamation - Waterloo Medal (Great Engravers 2-coin set?)

4 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

My posts was just a comment about the last Una sold today on auction and the amazing reward we got as early owners

The Waterloo is really a beautiful coin and this will be definitvely a nice set. I am just talking about investment opportunities  

I’m pulling your plonker frenchie 

Aaaahhh😉

7 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

What is the significance of the constellation at 6oclock? Oh wait I remember it’s Gemini .. for June. @GoldDiggerDave we need a lesson on the significance of the allegory on the medal. Or a reference at least. 

The woman at 6 o'clock is Nyx the mother of the three fates, spinning their yarn around the inside of the medal , sorry coin.    Nyx greek god (Nox) Roman,  is supposed to represent victory as she the dark/death runs away back into the night. 

Would be good if the constellation was EURion  and he invented it 200 year before anyone else .......... This 'Orion constellation" is on almost every bank note fun fact  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

It looks closer to part of the Vergo constellation, but all depends what line are drawn.  

6 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The woman at 6 o'clock is Nyx the mother of the three fates, spinning their yarn around the inside of the medal , sorry coin.    Nyx greek god (Nox) Roman,  is supposed to represent victory as she the dark/death runs away back into the night. 

Would be good if the constellation was EURion  and he invented it 200 year before anyone else .......... This 'Orion constellation" is on almost every bank note fun fact  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

It looks closer to part of the Vergo constellation, but all depends what line are drawn.  

Thanks. It’s odd that the Royal Mint video is incomplete. It just stops so abruptly as if they couldn’t pay the agency for a longer video to be created. 😐

3 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Thanks. It’s odd that the Royal Mint video is incomplete. It just stops so abruptly as if they couldn’t pay the agency for a longer video to be created. 😐

I like what Pistrucci did with the fates, and connected the deign together with the circles of yarn......Suppose no one can escape fate.  

Steven Fry's Hero's audio book is very good for getting your head around greek/roman gods and what they represent. 

Screenshot2024-06-26at16_51_20.thumb.png.2da5841470ad2f6cf52c564da12180ef.png

A culmination of missing frosting, tarnishing, holes and black spots.

Usual s****, different coin.my pictures are bad but I can see them. Didn’t even bother to flip it over.

IMG_1813.jpeg

A little known fact that collecting Spoons was therapeutic for the Special people in society to keep them calm. Dickens 

2 hours ago, NGMD said:

Usual s****, different coin.my pictures are bad but I can see them. Didn’t even bother to flip it over.

IMG_1813.jpeg

Nothing there. Get it off to NGC :) 

2 hours ago, NGMD said:

IMG_1813.jpeg

I mentioned earlier that this may be a nightmare to grade - the deep strike is going to make it tough to get a perfect coin. I suspect they may all come with imperfections, time will tell but this strike is very deep and frosting marks will likely be a universal issue with them or at least very common

13 minutes ago, Simmoleon said:

I mentioned earlier that this may be a nightmare to grade - the deep strike is going to make it tough to get a perfect coin. I suspect they may all come with imperfections, time will tell but this strike is very deep and frosting marks will likely be a universal issue with them or at least very common

I have to disagree. These are more extreme high relief in the similar frosted/polished proof finish.

It is purely poor quality control and manufacturing.

IMG_1703.jpeg

IMG_1789.jpeg

A little known fact that collecting Spoons was therapeutic for the Special people in society to keep them calm. Dickens 

1 hour ago, Simmoleon said:

I’m not into grading, but from what I know, if they’re production flaws, the coin can still get a top grade. 

@westminstrel amen bud re grading.  I have a decent collection that’s probably 90% raw coins - proof, circulated, hammered.  You’re correct that production flaws can still get a top grade, but lots of people believe that only perfect coins under the electron microscope will get the magic 70.  People lose sight of the true artistry of a coin (ex: the last two GE releases) by looking for what’s wrong rather than what’s masterful.  
Grading is an objective art - if a grader has an opinion it’s up to him/her.  If I like a coin I buy it.  I see 69’s that lose 20% or more of value vs a 70.  I snap those up, crack open the holder and forget about it.

The one time I see value is authentication, but even those can be counterfeited.  NGC and PCGS have made a fortune on people who disagree with me so bless em, just not for me.

3 hours ago, Sc391 said:

@westminstrel amen bud re grading.  I have a decent collection that’s probably 90% raw coins - proof, circulated, hammered.  You’re correct that production flaws can still get a top grade, but lots of people believe that only perfect coins under the electron microscope will get the magic 70.  People lose sight of the true artistry of a coin (ex: the last two GE releases) by looking for what’s wrong rather than what’s masterful.  
Grading is an objective art - if a grader has an opinion it’s up to him/her.  If I like a coin I buy it.  I see 69’s that lose 20% or more of value vs a 70.  I snap those up, crack open the holder and forget about it.

The one time I see value is authentication, but even those can be counterfeited.  NGC and PCGS have made a fortune on people who disagree with me so bless em, just not for me.

My objective view is that all my coins should be graded 70 with no exceptions🤣

Aaaahhh😉

10 hours ago, NGMD said:

IMG_1813.jpeg

You counted hooves to willies ratio and worked out it's been AI generated ?  

4 hours ago, Sc391 said:

I agree with you 100% on all points. 🙂

1 hour ago, morrco said:

Have received my 5oz silver. It’s a marvellous coin and to my naked eye it looks perfect. The coin is aesthetically beautiful and has a fascinating and important history. I’m definitely in the forget about microscopic inspection camp and will keep it as it is in its excellent Royal Mint presentation!

You guys are making me anxious to receive my own 5oz. 😅