• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Experts!

After some expert advice.

I was moving my sovereigns into A22 capsules and my 1979 Sov seemed very tight when I closed it. After checking it was so tight I had to use the tip of a knife to get it out. All other sovereigns fit fine and sit flush insider the inner holder. I checked the 1979 in other capsules and it still didn’t fit.

Firstly I want to say that the seller has already said I can send it back no problem at all. 

I have checked weight and gravity test 8.01/0.46 17.41 and they check out.

Chards is a good hour away but will probs go there but wondered what u all thought on here. 1979 on the right compared to 2024

IMG_3999.jpeg

IMG_4003.jpeg

IMG_4002.jpeg

IMG_3996.jpeg

IMG_3993.jpeg

Just now, James32 said:

Coin is fine...known problem with those type of capsules. Gillicks won't fit either without force. Those capsules are suitable for older sovs and modern sovs. But 50s/60s/70s struggle as they are slightly bigger in diameter. 

Thanks James. Everything looked right to me and I couldn’t understand why the dimensions were slightly out

Just now, SovereignBull said:

Thanks James. Everything looked right to me and I couldn’t understand why the dimensions were slightly out

Yeah I remember when I tried a gillick in them for the first time 😆 got a wtf moment. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

It looks like you managed to get a few light scratches to that coin now.  Another 79 removed from ever grading. I wonder how many of the 50000 are still in perfect condition. A 79 PF70 is now worth more than an 89.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

4 minutes ago, Spyder said:

It looks like you managed to get a few light scratches to that coin now.  Another 79 removed from ever grading. I wonder how many of the 50000 are still in perfect condition. A 79 PF70 is now worth more than an 89.

It had quite a bit of toning when I got it so was never gonna be a grader otherwise I’d have been more gentle! It was bought as it’s a close to my birth year as I could get being there aren’t any 😢 1977. 

2 minutes ago, SovereignBull said:

It had quite a bit of toning when I got it so was never gonna be a grader otherwise I’d have been more gentle! It was bought as it’s a close to my birth year as I could get being there aren’t any 😢 1977. 

You could get a 78 or 76, maybe even a 1877 as a few others have done.  Other option, the isle of man sovereign

2 minutes ago, Spyder said:

You could get a 78 or 76, maybe even a 1877 as a few others have done.  Other option, the isle of man sovereign

The 79 was a good price due to the toning so I was happy to go 2 years off! I’m sure the 76/78 will be on my list at some point but with so many others I doubt I’ll finish getting all the sovereigns I want in my lifetime 

14 minutes ago, Spyder said:

I wonder how many of the 50000 are still in perfect condition. A 79 PF70 is now worth more than an 89.

I didn't know this was a thing, until I got 2 x PF69s back which looked mint - not sure we'll ever see a new 70!

12 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

I didn't know this was a thing, until I got 2 x PF69s back which looked mint - not sure we'll ever see a new 70!

This is why it is the holy grail in graded proof sovereign. The amount of pf69 I see and very difficult to see where the point was dropped.  What I have also noticed now is that the 79 in pf69 is now holding a better premium. 6 month ago in pf69, you could still buy for £420 and now no chance

Edited by Spyder

22 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Well if you need education on such matters , as in all things sovereigns, and the ones in silver sovereigns and 3/4 ounce sovereigns , I’ll keep you right on such matters 👍

I wont use the A22 direct fit on sovereigns, they are a 22mm capsule and sovereigns are supposed to be 22.05.  Most will fit but a lot wont, can be a problem with George V from any of the branch mints and most of the QEII's prior to the 4th portrait and even some Victoria.  Nothing worse than getting one stuck in, I have had to bounce a capsule on a mat a few times when I have purchased coins that have been jammed into one.

I use the T22 ringed capsules, only use the A22 for 1/4oz brits.  Shame really as the A tubes would mean I could fit more into my storage box which is tiny.

2 minutes ago, Orpster said:

I wont use the A22 direct fit on sovereigns, they are a 22mm capsule and sovereigns are supposed to be 22.05.  Most will fit but a lot wont, can be a problem with George V from any of the branch mints and most of the QEII's prior to the 4th portrait and even some Victoria.  Nothing worse than getting one stuck in, I have had to bounce a capsule on a mat a few times when I have purchased coins that have been jammed into one.

I use the T22 ringed capsules, only use the A22 for 1/4oz brits.  Shame really as the A tubes would mean I could fit more into my storage box which is tiny.

I liked the idea of seeing the gold edge of the coins slowly fill up the tube as I  bought more overtime! Sad I know! With the airtite tube u can’t do that especially with the black outer! 

Wish I’d known earlier this was an issue with the A22 capsules as not only did it get properly stuck & marked I then unnecessarily bothered the original seller thinking something was off.

4 minutes ago, SovereignBull said:

I liked the idea of seeing the gold edge of the coins slowly fill up the tube as I  bought more overtime! Sad I know! With the airtite tube u can’t do that especially with the black outer! 

Wish I’d known earlier this was an issue with the A22 capsules as not only did it get properly stuck & marked I then unnecessarily bothered the original seller thinking something was off.

The coin looks to be completely genuine at least, and its getting to be a hard year to get as well.

The earlier QEII portraits are getting really sought after, I think the graded Gillick bubble is starting to deflate and the low mintage early QEII's will be the next big thing, especially Maklouf portrait coins if you see any at a reasonable price 

18 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

Get it bloody sold 

Can’t do that, it’s the only second QEII portrait I have! One of my goals is to own one of each portrait including the Butler 😬

I only buy the capsules with the foam rim now . I have many in A22 and I like them , but I know if I need to remove any then they may need the little hammer tap breaking the capsule.