• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NEW St. George and the Dragon coin with Garter inscription

13 hours ago, Allgoldcoins said:

I wonder what people think these coins will sell for once the fuss dies down?

2oz silver ?

5oz silver ?

10 oz silver ?

2 oz gold ?

I be honest and say after watching this series from the start, I don't have a clue 😀

2oz silver - no premium, just for collectors to enjoy 

5oz silver - I expect a small premium if they grade well (PF69 will holds its value, PF68 the world has ended and the feelings of despair hit home)

10oz silver - deffo keeps its value, its low mintage is a good thing but I think again it may have a premium if it grades well

2oz gold - I like it a lot, I think it’s a good investment but I doubt it’ll replicate the heights of Una or Graces but who knows. With Una (once the market spoke) and to a degree the Graces, the FOMO and hysteria were ridiculous and unfortunately or fortunately depending, that market and demand has gone or certainly reduced to normality 

I think the value of the silver range especially the 2oz is limited as you can literally buy an original 1818-1820 crown at a reasonable price and if you get a nice one they are way better than this range in my opinion. You also, get the original obverse which is a different level to the portrait on this coin. Also, the historic strikes are different to the modern strikes and I really like how the old presses struck the designs.

I was thinking how strange it must have been in 1818 when coins in pocket change were likely prooflike master pieces 😂 

1 minute ago, paulmerton said:

It is an interesting outlook on things for sure. I know there are a few people on here who were addicted to gambling, but no longer are and instead spend their money on coins like these.

But in so many ways, it just feels like another form of gambling.

This statement is spot on, it’s tough not just to jump on every release or deal. Trying to take that step back and understand what is happening is a skill many of us have partially mastered in my opinion but sometimes you chase something and get your fingers burnt. Then hindsight sets in and you have to take the loss and learn the lessons. I am now buying coins I like and if I’m stuck with them I’m fine as I want them in my collection anyway. 

The amount of mints, the amount of releases, the quality issues from one particular mint I like to buy coins from, the new world of grading (and what this means to a coin) and things likes milk spotting just add to the complexity of buying moderns. I think comparing this to gambling is probably a suitable comparison. 

Buying new coins purely to make a profit is a massive gamble.

I liked this release and picked up a 5 Oz silver and the 2 oz gold. 

Silver I buy what I like the look of rather than for any potential up tick in price. 2 Oz gold is a fine looking coin and the different finish intrigued me.

Won't be grading any of them as like them as they are in proof format. 

Pay your money and take your choice. Would guard against hoping to make a quick profit on any of them though

1 minute ago, cjbcomm said:

Buying new coins purely to make a profit is a massive gamble.

I liked this release and picked up a 5 Oz silver and the 2 oz gold. 

Silver I buy what I like the look of rather than for any potential up tick in price. 2 Oz gold is a fine looking coin and the different finish intrigued me.

Won't be grading any of them as like them as they are in proof format. 

Pay your money and take your choice. Would guard against hoping to make a quick profit on any of them though

Once you receive the gold, post some pics as I agree the finish is a major positive - will be interesting how this looks in hand but I think it’ll be a winner if you get an issue free one from RM.

Grading them will be interesting, anything with a matte finish always feels like a gamble with NGC, I’d probably do the same mate and not grade them especially if you are holding them. 

I didn’t even set an alarm for this release my account manager is on the phone every other week offering me this rubbish then the next load of rubbish I asked to reserve a 2oz gold and guess what nothing. I’ve decided if she can’t offer me the coins I actually want I’m not buying anything from them. Just like Rolex I’m done with them. 
no hard feelings I’ve got watches I’ve got proof gold coins I’m sticking with bullion for the foreseeable future. 

47 minutes ago, Spanishsilver said:

I didn’t even set an alarm for this release my account manager is on the phone every other week offering me this rubbish then the next load of rubbish I asked to reserve a 2oz gold and guess what nothing. I’ve decided if she can’t offer me the coins I actually want I’m not buying anything from them. Just like Rolex I’m done with them. 
no hard feelings I’ve got watches I’ve got proof gold coins I’m sticking with bullion for the foreseeable future. 

I went to bucherer with a plan, I asked them to put me on the so called "waiting list" for a 41mm plain bezel steel blue dial date just. I know I need to spend more with them so when I do buy a watch and they come and call for me it's so I can tell them I don't want the rolex. I don't think I will ever want to buy one ever and why the prices second hand can be more than retail when the market is flooded with them defies logic of supply and demand (except for new versions but AD discretion disgusts me) which is why if they ever call and I have the cash I will always refuse and buy myself something else like an Omega but it seems every time I look to put the cash aside I end up buying coins.

Has anyone actually received their coin yet, has their account stated that item is being prepared for dispatch or has already been dispatched and has arrived already or is it the typical RM where they take our money and make us wait for what is to be expected a lump of precious metal that's only good for a door stop...I'm sure some will be good but again have we all just spent alot of money and about to get completely screwed over and having to wait for the pleasure of being screwed over. 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

And lastly

5kg gold mintage just 1  £437,150

459,644 GBP +20% Buyer's premium... B)

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 6.37.21 AM.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I’ve read through all the comments now. I’ve studied the last 20 years releases, good/ bad and quality issues, cost to profit and loss and potential investment opportunities. I’ve crunched the data with this helpful guide:

Do you like the coin? Buy it.

End.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

5 minutes ago, NGMD said:

I’ve read through all the comments now. I’ve studied the last 20 years releases, good/ bad and quality issues, cost to profit and loss and potential investment opportunities. I’ve crunched the data with this helpful guide:

Do you like the coin? Buy it.

End.

Bingo

5 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I did of each 🤣

They call him Flipper, Flipper, faster than lightning,
No-one you see, is smarter than he,
And we know Flipper, lives in a world full of wonder,
Flying there-under, under the sea!

4 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

For me this is my biggest hedge,  buy what I like and a few extra, if the market takes off sell a few extra and it offsets what I hold in my collection.

For me everything has its price, but for this coin I’d need a substantial gain to even want to part with the gold, it looks stunning. 

If I wake up one day and it’s done an Una……then all the better. 

This statement appears to reflect an individual's personal investment strategy and sentiment toward collecting certain items, particularly coins. Here's a breakdown and analysis:

Buying What One Likes: The strategy of buying what one likes is a common approach, especially in collecting hobbies such as numismatics. It suggests a preference for investing in items that have personal value or aesthetic appeal beyond their monetary worth.

Building a Hedge: The statement suggests that the individual sees their collection as a hedge against market fluctuations. By buying extra and potentially selling them if the market takes off, they aim to offset potential losses or capitalize on gains.

Value of Personal Preference: The emphasis on personal preference, as evidenced by the statement about needing a substantial gain to part with a particular coin, underscores the emotional and subjective aspect of investing and collecting.

Reference to "Una": The mention of "doing an Una" likely refers to an exceptional increase in value or rarity, which the individual hopes their coin might achieve. This reflects the aspiration for significant appreciation in the value of their collection.

Critique: While the statement reflects a personalized investment approach and appreciation for collecting, there are certain considerations:

Risk Management: While buying what one likes is emotionally satisfying, it may not always align with the best investment strategy. Diversification and risk management are crucial aspects that this approach might overlook.

Liquidity Concerns: Depending solely on the potential appreciation of a collection may pose liquidity challenges, especially if the market for such items is illiquid or experiences fluctuations.

Speculative Nature: The hope for a substantial gain, akin to an "Una," might imply a speculative mindset. While aiming for high returns is understandable, it's important to balance this aspiration with realistic expectations and risk tolerance.

Market Volatility: Relying on market fluctuations to offset holdings can be unpredictable. It's essential to have a clear understanding of market dynamics and potential implications for the value of the collection.

In conclusion, while the statement reflects an individual's personal investment philosophy and passion for collecting, it's important to supplement emotional attachment with sound investment principles, risk management strategies, and a realistic assessment of market dynamics.

Edited by Paul