• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gazette Proclamation - St. George and the Dragon

48 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

I have the EIC version… it’s such a strong design the only way to do it justice is in proof. Bullion as well, fine, but needs to be in proof also, I’m sure RM would think the same. I don’t know about rights management for designs that is tbh. That’s the only reason I can think of why they wouldn’t…. Great find @westminstrel

I don’t think rights will be an issue as the original was done for the RM.

Agree that definitely Proof is the way to go if the RM does this.

I don’t believe this proclamation is for the Great Engravers/ Proof coin though given the denominations and texts of the circumscriptions.

37 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I don’t think rights will be an issue as the original was done for the RM.

Agree that definitely Proof is the way to go if the RM does this.

I don’t believe this proclamation is for the Great Engravers/ Proof coin though given the denominations and texts of the circumscriptions.

RM did say Wyon is concluded in the GE series, and will likely move onto other masters like Pristucci or something. So it's possible they'll use other Wyon designs elsewhere.

Yes if it is it’s a 

4 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

RM did say Wyon is concluded in the GE series, and will likely move onto other masters like Pristucci or something. So it's possible they'll use other Wyon designs elsewhere.

It’s possible.. but I hope they don’t waste this design. I know the original design was for RM but perhaps they sold the temporary proof license out? Just a thought .. I have no idea if this is even possible. If they said wyon was done then unlikely they will go back. 
If they did move on to pistrucci  what designs (reverse)  could we see ? 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

15 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

Yes if it is it’s a 

It’s possible.. but I hope they don’t waste this design. I know the original design was for RM but perhaps they sold the temporary proof license out? Just a thought .. I have no idea if this is even possible. If they said wyon was done then unlikely they will go back. 
If they did move on to pistrucci  what designs (reverse)  could we see ? 

I don't know if it's certainly Pistrucci, but definitely not StG&D if it was..

People could bet on which great engraver and what designs come next. Ultimately I don't think any hammered coins in the race, and there are only so many circulating coins. So they'll eventually go to obscure patterns and medals

34 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Hmm I don’t recall if the RM said that Wyon has been concluded in the Great Engravers series, or if the Gothic Crown just concluded the trilogy of Wyon’s designs in the series.

I guess it leaves room for him to return?

Edited by westminstrel

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Hmm I don’t recall if the RM said that Wyon has been concluded in the Great Engravers series, or if the Gothic Crown just concluded the trilogy of Wyon’s designs in the series.

I guess it leaves room for him to return?

It's been creatively worded so they can take liberties later. But Wyon probably won't return in the near future, or they'd be admitting there weren't many great engravers. In fact there were many. Just not so many good designs went into coins.

Rottier could be one, with his Victory against Holland and Peace with Holland medals, both spectacular designs and ideal for RM to do another 2 coin set.

Pistrucci certainly has his Waterloo medal which again is a 2 coin set.

There were a number of other war medals and royal commemorative medals, too

I have suggested a couple times before that the RM could do a series of the St George and Dragon designs done by their “great engravers” which includes William Wyon without making it exclusively about him.

William Wyon

image.jpeg.51d88baac6bd1e141f720e6e591c1a1e.jpeg

A G Wyon

0A751941-B0C1-4424-ADE9-5AAE536F7297.jpeg.852e1990ea5d7411aaba13fa587395af.jpeg

Edgar Bertram MacKennal

image.jpeg.c10492dcad137f650a3a246ad4e5cca5.jpeg

@SeverinDigsSovereigns @paulmerton I think Sovereign enthusiasts would love these. 

• 6 months later...

Every time I register with these, I never get a single Email to say it is coming up. It is only on TSF that I get to hear what the next launch is.

I think I must be in the "Please completely ignore me, and send me your worst examples, if I do find something of interest".😁

On the other hand can't wait to see these!!      

• 3 weeks later...

The RM site is atrocious - i register to be notified every time and every single time i visit the site i get the 'looks like you've opted out of email notification' message. Mind-boggling ineptitude.

Maybe once a year i will actually receive a notification of a coin being released - after it's sold out.  😐

Thank goodness for all the members here who must have the RM site permanently live... 

5 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Yeah it’s essentially a return of the commemorative coin that was struck for Prince George’s 5th birthday in 2018 in gold, silver and base metal.

https://pagesix.com/2018/07/18/royal-mint-to-release-special-5-coin-on-prince-georges-fifth-birthday/

image.jpeg.72a64b354efe62fb10307ea3a9b1db39.jpeg

We still got a Roman soldier on horse back.  

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

We still got a Roman soldier on horse back.  

I’m seriously waiting for the “other classics” to show up as part of the Great Engravers series. 😅

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

I can imagine them reusing this one if reuse is the way they're going.

image.png.00035d7db6066e32a65ca0ea1408aacf.png

Hahah I thought the EXACT same thing.

The dies etc. already exist, so reusing designs would be one way to save costs. 

Well they’re out there being advertised for pre order …. after all this fuss I think the coin gold or silver looks awful. It’s due out shortly …. wow… now move on🤔😕