• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 Sovereign

Noobstacker86

19 minutes ago, morezone said:

I like the design but still undecided as to buy or not and which one(s).

Some Full Sovs.  Premium 3 Coin, 3 coin and full sov?  I think I'll take my time and maybe sleep on it.  If it sells out in the meantime then the decision would have been made for me.

I would have been a much easier decision at the older price/spot.

Full sovereigns are the collectible size

Half sovereigns do ok too

I don't think there's much benefit to having a double, quarter or quintuple unless you personally love he design a lot. 

I'm surprised so many people here seem to be getting the set over just the full sovereign on its own. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Kman said:

Full sovereigns are the collectible size

Half sovereigns do ok too

I don't think there's much benefit to having a double, quarter or quintuple unless you personally love he design a lot. 

I'm surprised so many people here seem to be getting the set over just the full sovereign on its own. 

I think the double will look superb and I want one but the 3 coin set is too expensive at the RM and Chards don't seem to stock them.

The 5 coin at Chards is the best bang for your buck at under £350/oz

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Christ £430.... Nice design and was going to buy one after reading this thread but that is just nuts I'm sorry!

Is it the most expensive /oz coin from the mint?

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

46 minutes ago, sg86 said:

Is it the most expensive /oz coin from the mint?

Just their standard 1/4 gold proof pricing now I think, I'm pretty sure the 1/4 proof Brit was the same

It's not really expensive for what it is, I'm sure it will sell for more in the future, just annoying it's so much that it cuts heavily into resale profit*

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

3 hours ago, Roy said:

Shame on you! :D

I wonder if this might be a good occasion for a poll?

Do you like the design? YES/NO

Will you 'invest' in one or all?

Maybe...?

yes for design=ordered full sov from royal mint

I have to admit I do not normally buy my sovereigns direct from the RM. Normally you can pick up better deals on the secondhand market. However, I'm convinced the premium 3 piece set with the double sovereign will be a winner.

Great design with low mintage. 126 left last time I looked.

How does the certification scheme work on the RM website?

5 hours ago, Roy said:

I think the design is fantastic.

It carries a high premium but I think anyone who has an interest/fondness/passion for the Sovereign will buy one for their collection.

(except maybe Paul :D)

I heard my name!!! No proof purchases today for me, nice design, very nice. I am holding fire until to see if the standard bullion issue is the same design, if it is I'll be cashing in a few bog stanard gold coins and bars at profit to get a good these for years to come, think that will carry a decent premium in years after 2017

1 minute ago, Paul said:

I heard my name!!! No proof purchases today for me, nice design, very nice. I am holding fire until to see if the standard bullion issue is the same design, if it is I'll be cashing in a goid few bog stanard gold to get a good these for years to come, think that will carry a decent premium in years after 2017

Chards are indicating they are the standard design for the BU coins and not the proof design I think?

13 minutes ago, derbygold said:

Chards are indicating they are the standard design for the BU coins and not the proof design I think?

It is as you say. I wonder what makes them think that, word from the mint perhaps?

If it is true then the RM have created a situation almost exactly like existed in 1989, if you want the fancy design, you have to get a proof. Makes it even more essential to get the 2017 proof while you can.

Royal mint are missing a big opportunity if they just issue the usual design, for a big anniversary date. 2002 2005 2012 why not, its the royal mint so they'll just do the opposite to what the market want, useless they are yet 100s today hurry to give their cash away today despite all bad press on greedy premiums, crap packing, multiple defective returns, changed mintages , yet people still buy. They upset me I take my bullion buys elsewhere simple as that (paul shakes his head) rant over :)

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Royal mint are missing a big opportunity if they just issue the usual design, for a big anniversary date. 2002 2005 2012 why not, its the royal mint so they'll just do the opposite to what the market want, useless they are yet 100s are hurry to give their cash away today despite all bad press on greedy premiums, crap packing, multiple defective returns, changed mintages , yet people still buy (paul shakes his head) rant over :)

You are right in so many ways. The good thing they do on the proof sets is not make too many and thats where there is a chance to make some money. On top of that they  have designed a stunning coin.Im quite happy for the BU coins to be of standard design, it helps the desirability of the proof coins.

I keep flip-flopping with this

I think it might be one I will regret not getting if I don't get it

I'm starting to lean towards getting it, worse case scenario I can always sell it for the same price if not a bit more when they sell out hmmm

32 minutes ago, Kman said:

I keep flip-flopping with this

I think it might be one I will regret not getting if I don't get it

I'm starting to lean towards getting it, worse case scenario I can always sell it for the same price if not a bit more when they sell out hmmm

Another option:  Royal Mint have a 14 day returns policy.  It might be one of those that when people get them 'in hand', the demand really takes off.  If you buy it and don't like it, you can always return it for a refund :)

8 minutes ago, Clens92 said:

Another option:  Royal Mint have a 14 day returns policy.  It might be one of those that when people get them 'in hand', the demand really takes off.  If you buy it and don't like it, you can always return it for a refund :)

121 of the premium 3 coin sets left.

Got a whole sovereign from Chard.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

54 minutes ago, Paul said:

Royal mint are missing a big opportunity if they just issue the usual design, for a big anniversary date. 2002 2005 2012 why not, its the royal mint so they'll just do the opposite to what the market want, useless they are yet 100s today hurry to give their cash away today despite all bad press on greedy premiums, crap packing, multiple defective returns, changed mintages , yet people still buy. They upset me I take my bullion buys elsewhere simple as that (paul shakes his head) rant over :)

I agree with you from a personal viewpoint as these special design bullion sovs are both an opportunity and add a bit of interest.

However, from the position of the RM, it probably doesn't make much difference to their bullion sales what design they use, or so they think;)

They have also had a definite change in attitude in recent years wherby they have firmly separated the bullion from the collecting markets, ergo bullion coins vs proof editions, cf silver brits.

Chards seem to have plenty of buyers only 60 odd of time of writing this - when will the mint confirm what the bullion issue will be - contemplating buying a full from chards but if the bullion is the same design I would buy a few of these instead since I bought the half proof from the mint

6 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I very much doubt it, the 1817 sovereign certainly wasn't!

But from the video, it looks like it's added rather than being part of the die? is that usual 

Archived