• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Return or buy again?

RRH87

Hi all, took the plunge and got my first silver Brit. Unfortunately arrived damaged. First mistake was probably buying from the mint, could have saved myself £10 and gone to Chards but lesson learnt. 

However, buying from the mint I was disappointed it arrived damaged. For a premium price I expect a premium product. I think I already know the answer to this one, but would you try to return this or just keep it for the story of your first coin and buy another? I imagine it's not worth the hassle. Thanks.

20221018_203732.jpg

20221018_203718.jpg

20221018_203649.jpg

I bought two from the mint and they were marked. I'll more than likely give them away at Christmas to family members as I'm sure they won't be too fussy or even notice. Not that it makes it any better as the Royal Mint need to sort their quality control out. 

If you return them you either get your money back or a high chance of getting other marked coins. 

16 minutes ago, tallthinkev said:

I'd keep it, it may, just may, be the beginning of a die crack. It doesn't look like a normal scratch.

I don't think it looks like a die crack, or even a struck through object.

It looks like the dent has been caused by the edge of the rim of one coin hitting the face - you can see the individual millings in the groove. I had identical damage to some Queen's Beasts when they sent me a tube without putting any padding/filler in the rest of the tube.

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

I don't think it looks like a die crack, or even a struck through object.

It looks like the dent has been caused by the edge of the rim of one coin hitting the face - you can see the individual millings in the groove. I had identical damage to some Queen's Beasts when they sent me a tube without putting any padding/filler in the rest of the tube.

I don't have a clue what caused it but it is a serrated indent rather than a bulge.

20221018_203718.jpg

20221018_203801.jpg

18 hours ago, RRH87 said:

I don't have a clue what caused it but it is a serrated indent rather than a bulge.

20221018_203718.jpg

20221018_203801.jpg

Look more like a serrated edge mark from another coin. I suppose they are minting bullion coins on high speed and the coins are hitting when dropping on the collecting tray.

R (54).gif

Most people know the rm's shortcomings but if they're the only ones that don't know there are some really bad people running things there. 

On some of BYB youtube stuff he says he is reporting problems and even has achieved some resolutions to his problems such as the poor quality caps and loose coins with a simple packing solution. The rm are complacent with their underachievements and who knows with the correct management and attitude all these problems could be a thing of the past. IF only!

Grrrrr... Royal Mint suck. So do Dysons, but that's what they're meant to do.

If you like your coin to not look like it just walked up to Tyson Fury and insulted his mum then avoid Welsh tat is what I recommend. 

Lovely Aussie Perth Mint or Krugerrands or Maples or etc. etc. Just avoid the RM. The resident troglodytes seem to smack everything with a pick axe before it leaves.