• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Sovereign design - What say you?

westminstrel

What reverse design would your preference be for the 2023 Sovereign?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What reverse design would your preference be for the 2023 Sovereign?

• St. George and the Dragon
    • Special one-off design

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/10/22 at 02:38

Never mind the Sovereign, I expect there will be an entire range of coins to commemorate the Coronation too.

It is the only big Royal event for the foreseeable future, and I can’t see it being passed up.

Which is another reason why I’d prefer they leave the Sovereign alone with its iconic and classical design. It is, after all, supposed to be “A constant through change”. 😏

It wouldn't be a surprise if Charles obverse wasn't ready in time for the 2023 sovereign release.

I know they like to do a lot of special reverses/privy pimpings and the RM can effectively change the rule book now as it has been such a long time since a monarch change but surely they won't do a commemorative special reverse for QEIIs passing.

Not likely they do a special reverse for the ascension to the throne as it will most likely be the same year as the coronation.

I can see the normal design being G&D with whatever obverse is available at time of release and then a one off special SOTD with a special reverse for one day only for the coronation.

I'd like to see a variant of the second George IV sovereign reverse design. The royal shield.

Identical to the George IV but with the Welsh dragon replacing the Hanoverian arms in the central shield. It'd look great. Don't get rid of the crest/garnishing around the shield or the legends, they all look right.

The 2002 sovereign reverse looked naff because the legend was omitted, made it look bland.

Edited by SidS

3 hours ago, AaaGee said:

Spitfires over the white cliffs.

Bring it up to date and remember those who fought for what we have now.

What? Brexit, covid, inflation, huge fuel and energy bills, food banks, a plunging pound, and an ineffective government?

How would we fit all those onto a coin design?

😎

Chards

35 minutes ago, chrisdobb said:

Will they now have the time to include Charlie on next years Sovereign? I hear there is no coin portrait done yet.

"Will they now have the time to include Charlie on next years Sovereign?"

Of course there will be time.

It has happened for every single monarch as far as I can recall, and that was before we had all the technological advances we have experienced in the past 70 years.

"I hear there is no coin portrait done yet."

Probably correct.

It sounds like you didn't read my recent post:

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, pricha said:

Whatever the design could you imagine having Certificate No 1 for the proof ? I don't normally take much notice of numbered Certificates but having the first for a new monarch would be something special. 

Absolutely no chance of that happening.. for any member of the public. Best hope, 

One of the first one or two hundred🤔

All the sovereigns I currently own are modern so I’m going to continue purchasing modern sovereigns with the queen on them I’m not really interested in having any coins with Charles on them.

3 hours ago, GoldStatue said:

It wouldn't be a surprise if Charles obverse wasn't ready in time for the 2023 sovereign release.

There is no fixed “in time” for the Sovereign release.

Releasing next year’s Sovereigns towards the end of the current year is a modern marketing strategy.

Traditionally, from my limited knowledge, Sovereigns were released in the year for the same year.

So it never happened that a Sovereign bore the effigy of a monarch in a year in which they were never alive; or rather, in the year that they never reigned.

If the Queen had died after they released the 2023 Sovereign with her effigy, that would’ve been an inevitable consequence of this marketing-based release strategy.

I suspect the RM will just delay the 2023 Sovereign release for whenever the new Charles III effigy is ready. It is guaranteed to be a sell out and doesn’t need marketing gimmicks or being released in the holiday season.

It would anyway be unprecedented, and simply too strange, to have QE II’s effigy on next year’s Sovereign.

As @LawrenceChardsaid, with modern techniques and technology, there’s no reason why they couldn’t have it ready by early 2023.

Edited by westminstrel

4 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Releasing next year’s Sovereigns towards the end of the current year is a modern marketing strategy.

Traditionally, from my limited knowledge, Sovereigns were released in the year for the same year.

So it never happened that a Sovereign bore the effigy of a monarch in a year in which they were never alive.

I suspect the RM will just delay the 2023 Sovereign release for whenever the new Charles III effigy is ready. It is guaranteed to be a sell out and doesn’t need marketing gimmicks or being released in the holiday season.

It would anyway be unprecedented, and simply too strange, to have QE II’s effigy on next year’s Sovereign.

As @LawrenceChardsaid, with modern techniques and technology, there’s no reason why they couldn’t have it ready by early 2023.

That's all about right.

I'm not sure whether any recent proof sovereigns were issued late in the previous year, but this is an interesting anomaly:

https://goldsovereigns.co.uk/1830sovereignwilliamiv.html

😎

Chards

18 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

That's all about right.

I'm not sure whether any recent proof sovereigns were issued late in the previous year, but this is an interesting anomaly:

https://goldsovereigns.co.uk/1830sovereignwilliamiv.html

😎

Superb find as usual. 😎 👏🏽 

That’s an interesting anomaly - and so gorgeous too!

If nothing else, it’s proof that the RM can bring out a new effigy in a matter of months.