• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 2023 UK Coins Queen Elizabeth II King Charles III Changeover Forecast Résumé

The Royal mint of Australia already has a mock up effigy of Charles.It could have been ready for a while.They also said the Charles coins are coming when the 2023 coins are finished which is around Sep next year.Why would they change anything before that? It would cost them-or any other mint for that matter-lots of money.

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

2022 2023 UK Coins Queen Elizabeth II King Charles III Changeover Forecast Résumé

In the absence of any meaningful information from the Royal Mint, I will attempt to summarise the most likely situation for UK coins:

2022 Circulation Issues

All normal circulation issues of coins will continue to be for QEII and dated 2022 until at least the end of the year (2022), and are likely to continue in production and issues into January 2023 or later. This is standard practice at most mints worldwide.

2022 Bullion Issues

As with circulation coins, we expect gold, silver, and platinum bullion coin issues to continue with QEII portrait and titles, at least until the year end, and probably into early 2023. This will include Britannias and sovereigns.

2022 Commemorative Issues

This is slighly more difficult to forecast. Most commemorative coins which have already been approved (by The Privy Council) will be dated 2022 and have the queen's portrait. There may be some other commemorative coin issues which have been planned, but not approved. Whether these will gain approval is uncertain, but there is no real reason they should not be.

2023 King Charles Coins

The adoption of a new portrait for Charles is likely to be a lengthy process. The Royal Mint are likely to create a shortlist of potential portraits based on photographs, paintings, or sculpture. The RM is assisted by The Royal Mint Advisory Committee. Potential portraits will need to be approved by H.M. King Charles, and the Privy Council. Once designs are approved, then "masters" will be prepared, followed by dies. All stages are likely to be subject to approval. The earliest likely date for release would be 1st January 2023.

2023 Circulation Issues

It is almost certain that no 2023 circulation coins will be produced of issued with the queen's portrait and titles.

All 2023 dated circulation will be be in the name of King Charles II, and bear his portrait.

We could see these start to enter circulation as early as January 2023, but it could be later in the year.

2023 Bullion Issues

Subject to the approval process outlined above, it is possible that precious metal bullion issues could commence for Charles III dated 2023, as early as January, although it could be later.

2023 Commemorative Issues - QEII

Most TSF members will already be aware that two 2023 commemorative issues have already been released with the queens portrait and titles, with a third one imminent. There may be a small number of other issues which have already received approval, and that will therefore be issued as planned, however some may be delayed, cancelled, or changed.

2023 Commemorative Issues - Charles III

It is certain that most 2023 UK commemorative coin issues will be in the name of our new king, Charles III. As with most commemoratives, these will be issued throughout  the year. The earliest could be as early as January 2023, but might be delayed.

It is possible that 2023 mint and proof coins sets could be issued in the last months of 2022, but this remains uncertain at best.

2023 Commemorative Issues - Charles III QEII Memorial

It is certain that the RM will produce a range of memorial or Celebration of Life commemorative coins for Queen Elizabeth II, dated 2023, and bearing King Charles III portrait on the obverse.

While these could be issued as early as January, I think it likely that these will follow later.

Please let me know if you think I have missed anything out.

😎

Don't forget the Coronation - the RM will be hammering out the coins:

hammer.gif

Edited by Zhorro
typo

3 hours ago, dragafem said:

The Royal mint of Australia already has a mock up effigy of Charles.It could have been ready for a while.They also said the Charles coins are coming when the 2023 coins are finished which is around Sep next year.Why would they change anything before that? It would cost them-or any other mint for that matter-lots of money.

No, it will not cost them much:

Please see my comments on the above post, plus:

"Q. Will it be an expensive process to update the effigy of Australian coins? What will be the cost?

A. The cost for adopting a new effigy on Australian coins is negligible."

😎

Chards

13 hours ago, AR03 said:

I'm sure RM has a draft design approved and ready already. It seems like it would have all been planned much earlier since the Queen had been on and off with her health.  Soon they will start the minting with king's portrait. 

I think not.

It is probably considered disrespectful to ask the expectant monarch to "sit" for photos or artists in advance of the incumbent monarch dying.

I also think Prince Charles would have agreed with me.

The statement by the Royal Australian Mint seems to point to this also, and...

As I have stated, all UK coin designs must be approved by the monarch's Privy Council, which also includes the monarch him or herself. Once they have approved, their proclamations are published in The London Gazette.

Sure, the RM might have some ideas or drafts, but these mean nothing until they have official approval.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

13 hours ago, AR03 said:

I'm sure RM has a draft design approved and ready already. It seems like it would have all been planned much earlier since the Queen had been on and off with her health.  Soon they will start the minting with king's portrait. 

13 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I think not.

It is probably considered disrespectful to ask the expectant monarch to "sit" for photos or artists in advance of the incumbent monarch dying.

I also think Prince Charles would have agreed with me.

The statement by the Royal Australian Mint seems to point to this also, and...

As I have stated, all UK coin designs must be approved by the monarch's Privy Council, which also includes the monarch him or herself. Once they have approved, their proclamations are published in The London Gazette.

Sure, the RM might have some ideas or drafts, but these mean nothing until they have official approval.

😎

Does this look like the RM already a cunning plan in place?

1208014942_RMWearecurrentlyupdatingourwebsite.thumb.jpg.2781a45857dee2595d92ddfcbb52cbe0.jpg

However, it does sound like they have heard the news!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards