• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best Storage

JamieUK

Hi Folks

Can anyone advise on the best airtight storage containers to use for silver bullion?

My collection are already in coin capsules and the overall security is great but I’m thinking of storing them inside an appropriate airtight container. Possibly using Lock & Lock Modular Rectangular 260ml which locks on all 4 sides, BPA free materials, antibacterial silicone packaging. Also considering ProCook Lock & Fresh Airtight Glass Storage Dish 350ml.

Anyone have any recommendations? I know to avoid certain plastics, but it’s not always easy as a lot of the storage containers don’t actually say what exact materials they are made of.

I’m wanting to keep my hopefully growing collection in as pristine a condition as possible for the foreseeable. 

Unfortunately i cant help with air tight storage. But i have just purchased a plastic coated fire proof box for my collection. Made for document storage.

Whats the problem with plastic?

Hi AaaGee

Thanks for your reply.

Certain substances interact poorly with silver over extended periods of time. This includes paper, aluminum foil, and plastics with PVC. Plastics can be a great storage medium for silver, but you should verify that they aren’t PVC plastics, which are generally softer plastics.

So rhe silver has to be in contact with the plastic/pvc im guessing?

No idea what my lil safe is made of.

The coins are in plastic capsules anyway.

I think the cheaper flips / capsules / envelopes / album pages etc have a high PVC content, which I understand de-gasses as it ages, and it's the gases that do the damage...?

Sulphides are the biggest culprits I believe, certainly where Silver is concerned.

12 hours ago, JamieUK said:

Hi Folks

Can anyone advise on the best airtight storage containers to use for silver bullion?

My collection are already in coin capsules and the overall security is great but I’m thinking of storing them inside an appropriate airtight container. Possibly using Lock & Lock Modular Rectangular 260ml which locks on all 4 sides, BPA free materials, antibacterial silicone packaging. Also considering ProCook Lock & Fresh Airtight Glass Storage Dish 350ml.

Anyone have any recommendations? I know to avoid certain plastics, but it’s not always easy as a lot of the storage containers don’t actually say what exact materials they are made of.

I’m wanting to keep my hopefully growing collection in as pristine a condition as possible for the foreseeable. 

Basically it's keeping air/moisture out that will keep you in best shape, ever thought about a food sealer? Haven't used myself but seen others using with great success. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Homeasy-Automatic-One-Touch-Preservation-BPA-Free/dp/B07QRYY4CM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2IBCM8MUGWQD2&keywords=food+sealers+vacuum+packing+machine&qid=1658768609&sprefix=food+seal%2Caps%2C85&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVVVFS05MMU1OUlBHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjI3NjUwWFlNSU9ZS0owSEhJJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyOTg2MDcyMjJWMlRENEVaU1pEJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I like to buy the pre-dip dip