• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold coin conservation pictures

I paid £20 for the silver proof Jubilee Crown at an antique shop a few weeks ago, Obverse was not that bad just foggy and greasy the reverse had signs of toning and the rim was heavily toned.    

Removed the toning from the fields on the reverse and most of the heavy toning around the rim.  

j1.jpeg

j2.jpeg

j3.jpeg

j4.jpeg

j5.jpeg

j6.jpeg

j8.jpeg

j9.png

j22.png

j33333.jpeg

IMG_5190.jpeg

@GoldDiggerDave are you going to offer this as a service at some point in the future? If not will you 'open source' your techniques when you see fit?

I don't expect you too, especially if it's to be a business venture, but you've hit upon a clearly successful way of cleaning coins without adding abrasion. Kudos.

@Arganto Yes I will be offering this as a service in addition to my NGC grading soon.  I have been working on serval processes to get the best results, also working on removing the appearance of milk spots on silver bullion coins.   

1 hour ago, SidS said:

I know it's weird, but I actually like copper spots on gold coins.

Same, and I like toning on old coins as well.  Don't even mind a bit of milking on modern silver coins.

That's would not be most peoples view though, great job  @GoldDiggerDave must be a knack to doing it without getting the tell-tale 'cleaning' lines not sure I would be brave enough with my 10 thumbs but that looks like a top job

2 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

One I did yesterday numerous copper spots on both sides of the 1911 half sovereign.  Results are good 

copper spot 1.png

copper spot 2.png

copper spot 3.jpeg

copper spot 4.jpeg

I'd be interested to know the technique you're using to remove copper sports on gold. I've heard you can heat treat them but I've never tried this yet.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Just working on milking I can perfect this process more, the concept works?  What do you think?  Before and after video.

96-97% of the visible milking has gone.

1.MOV 2.MOV

I can't seem to view them (on a phone) could easily be a user error at my end 🤣 Anyone else?

I can see those. Yes far better looking. Do you think it's worth doing on bullion?  I could see that it might be worthwhile on higher premium coins perhaps if it were to restore their premium... but more a question of time and effort involved is it scalable to do batches at once?

1 minute ago, modofantasma said:

I can see those. Yes far better looking. Do you think it's worth doing on bullion?  I could see that it might be worthwhile on higher premium coins perhaps if it were to restore their premium... but more a question of time and effort involved is it scalable to do batches at once?

I’m just doing this on silver bullion for now as if I muller one of them it’s not a issue just to see if the chemistry works.   For bullion I could do a tube in about 1 hour using this process.

I did a batch of 91 silver proof coins in 4 hours  when I conserved those a while ago. 

The silver bullion milk removal is just for a bit of fun and  it’s meditation for me if I get any grotty silvers I can make them look better. 

3 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I’m just doing this on silver bullion for now as if I muller one of them it’s not a issue just to see if the chemistry works.   For bullion I could do a tube in about 1 hour using this process.

I did a batch of 91 silver proof coins in 4 hours  when I conserved those a while ago. 

The silver bullion milk removal is just for a bit of fun and  it’s meditation for me if I get any grotty silvers I can make them look better. 

Yeah it's interesting to learn the process I imagine.

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Great job @GoldDiggerDave

Would you mind to share the technique you use? I would like to try it on some silver coins first.

20220618_150657.jpg

Jeepers Dave, the results are amazing!

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/