• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Binlord of the week on ebay

dicker

Whenever I've sold on the 'Bay, I always always take as best quality photos as I can, and state 'This is the actual item you will receive, and it is represented clearly in the photos. Only bid if you can accept this, and that the sale is final'.

When I have sold an item, I always video myself actually packing it, and I do all my postage through eBay (I only use RM tracked 1pm or Special delivery and pay for it via eBay). This ensures decent tracking throughout the package's journey, and a signature on delivery. Part of my 'video of packing' is me attaching the eBay/RM postage label, with the buyer's name, postal address and the RM tracking number.

I can safeguard myself that way with evidence that I have done everything possible to benefit the buyer, and eBay as a platform, proving that I have taken decent photos of what's being sold, and confirming the item has been packed and sent to the seller via RM and paid for through eBay.

It's effort, but this has saved my skin from unscrupulous buyers. The most amusing one, was a chap who claimed he 'never received it', yet when I pointed out RM's own tracking website showed it in his hand, him standing inside his front door, he then said 'oh but there was nothing in the package'. I asked him if the package looked like it had been tampered with and he said 'no, you just never packaged it inside'. My video proved otherwise and eBay took my side.

As a buyer, regardless of what it is I've bought from online (anything at all from eBay, higher value non-precious metals from elsewhere, PMs from a bullion dealer), I always video the package 'as received' and then me opening it. The most recent thing it saved me from was a London mint Edward half sovereign in not so great condition turning up, despite the listing (and what I paid for) being for a rarer one (from a different mint, significantly lower mintage figure). I posted about it in this thread a few months back.

That time / effort spent can potentially save a lot of hassle, both as a buyer and as a seller.

Edited by Esjayc
edit due to my naff typing

On 14/07/2024 at 18:34, ccfcpaul said:

Update - 

I blocked the buyer. He put in a refund request. I disputed it. Ebay resolved it in my favour, although refunded the buyer.

Buyer has left me negative feedback (my first ever) and ebay won't remove it despite him lying on it!

Give with one hand and take with another

Go to request feedback  revision,??? Don’t ask the buyer,  ask a feedback revision from eBay , worth a try  , don’t expect much ,??? And you can reply to his negative, , don’t say anything sh itty, just say , ITEM SENT ROYAL MAIL TRACKED, AND DELIVERED, ANY DELAY  IS DOWN TO ROYAL MAIL ,WHICH I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER 

4 hours ago, Esjayc said:

Whenever I've sold on the 'Bay, I always always take as best quality photos as I can, and state 'This is the actual item you will receive, and it is represented clearly in the photos. Only bid if you can accept this, and that the sale is final'.

When I have sold an item, I always video myself actually packing it, and I do all my postage through eBay (I only use RM tracked 1pm or Special delivery and pay for it via eBay). This ensures decent tracking throughout the package's journey, and a signature on delivery. Part of my 'video of packing' is me attaching the eBay/RM postage label, with the buyer's name, postal address and the RM tracking number.

I can safeguard myself that way with evidence that I have done everything possible to benefit the buyer, and eBay as a platform, proving that I have taken decent photos of what's being sold, and confirming the item has been packed and sent to the seller via RM and paid for through eBay.

It's effort, but this has saved my skin from unscrupulous buyers. The most amusing one, was a chap who claimed he 'never received it', yet when I pointed out RM's own tracking website showed it in his hand, him standing inside his front door, he then said 'oh but there was nothing in the package'. I asked him if the package looked like it had been tampered with and he said 'no, you just never packaged it inside'. My video proved otherwise and eBay took my side.

As a buyer, regardless of what it is I've bought from online (anything at all from eBay, higher value non-precious metals from elsewhere, PMs from a bullion dealer), I always video the package 'as received' and then me opening it. The most recent thing it saved me from was a London mint Edward half sovereign in not so great condition turning up, despite the listing (and what I paid for) being for a rarer one (from a different mint, significantly lower mintage figure). I posted about it in this thread a few months back.

That time / effort spent can potentially save a lot of hassle, both as a buyer and as a seller.

Yeah I recorded something I received once although I have never done it when sending as I only send items valued under 100 (mainly 1oz silver).

I used to take photos, of the item and with it packaged but I stopped that because it was clogging up my phone. That being said, I was still in my head doing it with new customers. I just became complacent as its not high valued items.

45 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

Go to request feedback  revision,??? Don’t ask the buyer,  ask a feedback revision from eBay , worth a try  , don’t expect much ,??? And you can reply to his negative, , don’t say anything sh itty, just say , ITEM SENT ROYAL MAIL TRACKED, AND DELIVERED, ANY DELAY  IS DOWN TO ROYAL MAIL ,WHICH I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER 

yeah, exactly what I did. The negative feedback was for a very tiny mark on a coin. Ebay flatly refused to remove it as "feedback is opinion". I was livid because he also factually lied on the feedback. To which I told ebay. The agent ended up closing the chat

5 minutes ago, ccfcpaul said:

yeah, exactly what I did. The negative feedback was for a very tiny mark on a coin. Ebay flatly refused to remove it as "feedback is opinion". I was livid because he also factually lied on the feedback. To which I told ebay. The agent ended up closing the chat

The joys of eBay ,

32004FD7-C2A0-431B-82F1-A05EDD5732E1.jpeg

On 14/07/2024 at 18:34, ccfcpaul said:

Update - 

I blocked the buyer. He put in a refund request. I disputed it. Ebay resolved it in my favour, although refunded the buyer.

Buyer has left me negative feedback (my first ever) and ebay won't remove it despite him lying on it!

Give with one hand and take with another

Wait a while then buy some cheap item off of him then slay his feedback. FK him.

buying gold coins or selling gold coins on ebay is suicidal not worth the stress to many useless workshy conmen who have nothing to do all day but sit and think of every scam they can do , remember they are attacking members of the public for few pound think of what they will do for several hundred 

2 minutes ago, bazbigfoot said:

buying gold coins or selling gold coins on ebay is suicidal not worth the stress to many useless workshy conmen who have nothing to do all day but sit and think of every scam they can do , remember they are attacking members of the public for few pound think of what they will do for several hundred 

Best not to bad mouth our politicians tbh 

Aaaahhh😉

yes agaupi correct just look what they do for a few quid and lose there jobs over it and then people go on ebay risking £400 or more to an anonymous person MADNESS 

On 16/07/2024 at 15:17, bazbigfoot said:

Never lost a penny in 5000+ transactions in gold and silver on eBay over many years - as both buyer and seller -  and yet today I'm sending out a pre-action letter to a guy here who pocketed my cash and sent nothing...

29 minutes ago, HowardW said:

Never lost a penny in 5000+ transactions in gold and silver on eBay over many years - as both buyer and seller -  and yet today I'm sending out a pre-action letter to a guy here who pocketed my cash and sent nothing...

Any update or contact from the seller since?

33 minutes ago, HowardW said:

How many times have you tried to contact him?

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

6 minutes ago, HowardW said:

Nothing since 2 July...sent him a few messages...Administrator sent him 2 messages but he hasn't even been on the site since then. Nothing to do other than preaction letter then legal claim

I really hope you get it sorted. 👍

I'm sure you've done what you can so far but have you referenced his name and/or address on companies house? I do this a lot when I'm looking into people - Not necessarily going to yield anything but sometimes it can provide a good amount of info if you fall down a rabbit hole.

Edited by SilverRich

yes ive bought gold on ebay but not now wouldnt be tempted even if sov was £300 pound i value my sanity more than money see what i mean all the stress just not worth it , worlds full of liars and cheats politicians, police, all at it and that is a proven fact , and all have the same mantra ( you can trust me ) yea . PEACE AND STRESS FREE 

and think about it you are sending hard earned money to someone you dont know have never seen with the backing of ebay to get your money back aint gona happen think about it oh i sent you the coin oh no you didnt oh yes i did it was signed for , yes but there wasnt a coin in the package oh and im reporting you to ebay and requesting money return think . as i have said previously its going to get to the stage where your going to have to take package to solicitor for verification and get them to post it . when ebay first started very few tracked and signed for but ( oh i never received it ) hence all extra expense on tracking and signed for and usually that was for items worth a few pounds think what they will do for hundreds 

36 minutes ago, bazbigfoot said:

and think about it you are sending hard earned money to someone you dont know have never seen with the backing of ebay to get your money back aint gona happen think about it oh i sent you the coin oh no you didnt oh yes i did it was signed for , yes but there wasnt a coin in the package oh and im reporting you to ebay and requesting money return think . as i have said previously its going to get to the stage where your going to have to take package to solicitor for verification and get them to post it . when ebay first started very few tracked and signed for but ( oh i never received it ) hence all extra expense on tracking and signed for and usually that was for items worth a few pounds think what they will do for hundreds 

I realise it is not fool proof BUT is has helped already on one occasion - When I sell, i record the whole packing process, including weighing the package at the end (Ebay specifically mention to do this). When I buy, I record the whole thing showing that the package is completely sealed, recording me opening it, showing the coin, weighing it and other quick checks. 

It's incredibly mundane but if you have video evidence, Ebay will back you via their MBG. 

Additionally, I still find it incredible the amount of willing buyers on there who buy £300+ coins from people with zero feedback, pictures purposely blurry and others who use a get out of jail free card such as "Found down the back of the sofa so selling sold as seen". 

42 minutes ago, Spyder said:

I would like to nominate this seller as No1 Binlord for the month of July.

I think he has been worshipping the sun too much as is now suffering from heat stroke.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186586245793

Yeah but… free express delivery 🚚😅

You know why you can’t trust atoms? 

24 minutes ago, Silfrfish said:

Yeah but… free express delivery 🚚😅

At the price, I would personally hand deliver to the buyer with some more sovereigns in my pocket. 🤣

Never Chase and Never Regret