• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns in Jewellery

dicker

I am sure many of us see Sovereigns mounted / soldered or amalgamated into jewellery being offered for sale.

Many Sovereigns that have been “molested” in this way are run of the mill with high mintages.  (Watch Dickinsons Real Deal for some shockers).

The worst I have seen was on eBay a number of years ago was an 1886 M half Sovereign (Mintage 38,008)…. A horrific gold loop had been badly soldered to the top and it had clearly had a hard life.  

Has anyone else seen similar shockers?

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Hi, indeed, for today's perspective it is a blasphemy to put a gold or silver coin in a mount and to wear it as jewellery. 

But in the past, was very common to do it, because this method was a very handy one to have spare cash with you all the time only for emergency situations. When needed, easy to take out from mount pendant the sovereign, buy something or pay for a service, when home put back another one for next emergency. 

Today, all of us we have for a easier life:

1. Some folded banknotes hidden in the car for "just in case" situations.

2. Minimum one credit card in the wallet with some spare money into account.

3. Mobile phone to contact someone for help if need.

4. Sat-nav or Google map app if we are lost.

5. AA or RAC recovery in breakdown situations.

Today, "molesting" a banknote is the same with "molesting" a coin in the past. Who care about its rarity , when and where was printed, rare or unusual serial number. It is only a circulated money note, ready to be spent in the first supermarket. It is coming another one from ATM or at next payday.

It is very interesting also the transition period from gold/silver to paper, but before modern technology. The money-jewellery with hidden emergency banknote are beautifully made and very sophisticated. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RaRe-14k-Yellow-Gold-MAD-MONEY-Purse-2-Dollar-Bill-Emergency-Charm-Pendant-7Gms/144251700536?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item2196124538:g:s18AAOSwRgJXgw4N&amdata=enc: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|clp:2334524|tkp:BFBM6suhuLJf&LH_ItemCondition=4&pageci=23bd1780-340c-4f2e-8e87-2a48373d069b&redirect=mobile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14k-Yellow-Gold-Mad-Money-Bag-Purse-1-Dollar-Bill-Emergency-Charm-Pendant-8g/233980191676?hash=item367a4e63bc:g:G80AAOSwR7xgg1YR&LH_ItemCondition=4&pageci=258a89b7-817d-4665-bc3b-8b4fb517696a&redirect=mobile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9ct-Yellow-Gold-Vintage-10-Pound-Note-Charm-Pendant/254254294389?hash=item3b32bca575:g:lk0AAOSwX7Bc94yZ&pageci=45ac223c-9c60-4751-a866-94ffabc80373&redirect=mobile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-9ct-GOLD-TEN-BOB-NOTE-PENDANT-CHARM-1955-In-Emergency-Break-Glass/163147472507?hash=item25fc58de7b:g:gHsAAOSwucVbSKIy&pageci=dc7d6bdc-7dfd-480b-bd40-ecaba88dab3f&redirect=mobile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-9-Carat-Gold-Old-Ten-Shilling-Note-Emergency-Pendant-And-Chain/142814581624?hash=item2140699378:g:084AAOSwGNxbDmuS&pageci=465b9a57-639e-45fe-83e3-b3ff9b513fda&redirect=mobile

Kindest regards,

Stefan.

Edited by stefffana

On 05/12/2021 at 15:13, dicker said:

I've seen many with loops of various size and sophistication. Some quite artisitic and impressive if it wasn't for the fact they had ruined a perfectly good sovereign.

The one that did break my heart though was a perfect 1824 proof double sovereign mounted on a double bar swivel.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Wow.  That would break my heart as well.  

But I bet the person who originally did it, loved it.  And that's probably all that matters.  Buy and enjoy whatever it is for your own purposes, rather than those of the next person who might own it.

Many of us on here probably look after all the coins we currently own very carefully, whether bullion, proof or whatever.  But some might think it's a bit like buying a fancy car and then not driving it very much in order to protect its resale value.  So although it's not for me, fair play to those who molest their precious metal coins!

(I love cars and buy them to drive fast!)

Edited by Stuntman
spelling, grammar, general making sense!

A sad hobby of mine is to trawl the pawn shops to see if I can find a key date sovereign in jewellery not hit the jackpot yet.  I bought a top quality proof 2014 sov being sold off as bullion.  Also bought a 1906 M  labeled as a "victorian sovereign" you would have thought the portrait of Edward 7th would have given them a clue.  My search continues.........

I’ve seen some real horrors on Dickinson’s Real Deal, oddly I was watching this only the other day and somebody was selling gold jewellery.

The dealer was going through what it’s all worth and he picked up the sovereign and he said, I hope you’re sitting down for this, he said “There we see Britannia on the horse with the dragon” I couldn’t believe it!!

But then again they’re dealers and to them most of the gold will go in the melting pot.

😂😂😂

On Ebay now, auction advertised as ".916 22CT GOLD 1911 George V Sovereign Coin On .375 9CT GOLD Pendant Mount"

In reality is half sovereign, total weight 5.3g. Melting value @£180.

There are now 14 bids, 8 bidders and the price £320.01 plus postage. The auction will end in 4days,19hrs.

Let's see how much will pay the happy winner.😁

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-916-22CT-GOLD-1911-George-V-Sovereign-Coin-On-375-9CT-GOLD-Pendant-Mount-C65/373820037425?hash=item5709691931:g:RegAAOSwgQ5hsRf4&pageci=80f962e5-d78e-436e-85ba-6023c490473c&redirect=mobile

1 hour ago, sori said:

Seeing a sovereign mutilated into a jewel is as horrible as seeing your mother drunk.

I agree, but even drunk, is your mother. You can be upset on her, feeling sorry for her, but continuing loving her.

The same is with a beautiful but unlucky gold coin.

On 08/12/2021 at 15:23, dicker said:

Similar is this half sovereign:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9ct-Gold-Bent-22k-KING-GEORGE-V-HALF-SOVEREIGN-Ring-1915-5-3gram-Sz-W-1-2-31jj/203749183279?hash=item2f7065cf2f:g:sO4AAOSwl4VhtiVE&pageci=932e4d5b-8e3f-4a9c-a1ec-7e7619f6eae5&redirect=mobile

On 05/12/2021 at 16:13, dicker said:

I am sure many of us see Sovereigns mounted / soldered or amalgamated into jewellery being offered for sale.

Many Sovereigns that have been “molested” in this way are run of the mill with high mintages.  (Watch Dickinsons Real Deal for some shockers).

The worst I have seen was on eBay a number of years ago was an 1886 M half Sovereign (Mintage 38,008)…. A horrific gold loop had been badly soldered to the top and it had clearly had a hard life.  

Best

Dicker

I do know one well known Blackpool dealer who used to sell gold sovereigns with 9ct gold scroll top mount, and 9ct gold 24" chain, with box, including postage, for the vast amount of...

... drum, roll...

... No, who would like to have a guess?

No prizes, just the kudos.

😎

Chards

12 minutes ago, James32 said:

I laugh but considering Lawrence has been around a little while, you actually be spot on.

Probably lower 😆

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

I don't want to sound like the massive bleeding heart liberal that I blatantly am, but sometimes I feel the disdain for this jewelry can border on snobbery.

Like someone said above, these kinds of items have come into existence as a way for generally working-class, generally low income folks to save and preserve a bit of money with the care of their family in mind, or else as a way to supplement a pitiful state pension. 

In the Caucasus region, gold teeth are a way for poor people to create some kind of life insurance. They get pulled out and cashed in on death. It's a pretty good system for those without some of our privileges. But here we tend to look on gold teeth as an aesthetic abomination. You don't often see them nowadays outside of immigrant communities and maybe traveller folk.

Ironically, I saw a bloke on Dickinson's Real Deal not long ago selling his sovereign rings to pay for new dentures. It was kind of sad to watch. And not a great advert for how capitalism works for the poor in one of the world's largest economies.

27 minutes ago, sjhdesmond said:

I don't want to sound like the massive bleeding heart liberal that I blatantly am, but sometimes I feel the disdain for this jewelry can border on snobbery.

Like someone said above, these kinds of items have come into existence as a way for generally working-class, generally low income folks to save and preserve a bit of money with the care of their family in mind, or else as a way to supplement a pitiful state pension. 

In the Caucasus region, gold teeth are a way for poor people to create some kind of life insurance. They get pulled out and cashed in on death. It's a pretty good system for those without some of our privileges. But here we tend to look on gold teeth as an aesthetic abomination. You don't often see them nowadays outside of immigrant communities and maybe traveller folk.

Ironically, I saw a bloke on Dickinson's Real Deal not long ago selling his sovereign rings to pay for new dentures. It was kind of sad to watch. And not a great advert for how capitalism works for the poor in one of the world's largest economies.

Fair enough, I guess fisherman used to wear a gold coin earing to pay the boatman on the styxx to enter the afterlife.

It's always handy to have something like that if you are caught out, especially if you are abroad and have an emergency. I'd probably rather have a scruffy soverign in my loose change for that purpose than a blatant ring though which would attract thieves.

Nowadays I do think soverign rings etc are very out of fashion and I expect its to do with the fact they became fashion items for the working class to show off their 'wealth'...now a 3rd hand, base spec golf with aftermarket wheels serves the same purpose