• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

If that turns out to be the case it could ruin the prices on current coins, unless they price the sets so extortionate that today's prices seem cheap.

Wonder will that be the end of it, or will they release a further set that includes a lock of William wyons hair😁

The price of the two 2021 Gothic Crown silver coins in this set will be completely insignificant. I can easily see them pricing the set north of £15,000 just because of the 1847 coin. How much more they add to factor in the price of the 2021 silver coins will be minuscule in comparison.

Of course if they pair the 1847 with the 2021 gold coins, that would I assume be offered to the type of customers who buy the 10 Oz and kilo gold coins. 

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

The price of the two 2021 Gothic Crown silver coins in this set will be completely insignificant. I can easily see them pricing the set north of £15,000 just because of the 1847 coin. How much more they add to factor in the price of the 2021 silver coins will be minuscule in comparison.

Of course if they pair the 1847 with the 2021 gold coins, that would I assume be offered to the type of customers who buy the 10 Oz and kilo gold coins. 

A set like that (gold) would be about £15k-£25k depending on the condition of the 1847. You can pick up a cleaned/worn Gothic for about £2k these days but they would have to have very good examples that have not been graded for it to go in a ‘set’. So upwards of £5k easily.

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

For 15k+ I'd want mr wyons last breath on blu-ray 🤣

As for the gold sets,  from my understanding not many were produced originally and where they could magically retrieve them from is anyones guess.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

For 15k+ I'd want mr wyons last breath on blu-ray 🤣

As for the gold sets,  from my understanding not many were produced originally and where they could magically retrieve them from is anyones guess.

I was talking about the 2021 gold gothic crowns.

Just now, westminstrel said:

I was talking about the 2021 gold gothic crowns.

Sorry I just read pair 1847 and 2021 gold coins.

As interesting as all this is, it's not really a worry for me as I had to go to dark places just to secure a 2oz silver that could still be cancelled yet🤣 

It's a very nice problem to have though.

40 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

@NewCoins- The rumour is they intend releasing a 3-coin set next year with the 2021 Quartered Arms, 2021 Portrait, and the original 1847 Gothic Crown.

Good luck to anyone who can afford that beast!

A 4 coin William Wyon set with Una, Graces, Arms and Portrait would be a great morning in the queue at the RM for me. With a sad day afterwards for missing out. The 3 coin set it out of my range, so it would just be a sad day. So fingers crossed, that i will have a euphoric coffee in the morning, waiting to see the sold out page for a release at the RM again.  

4 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

A 4 coin William Wyon set with Una, Graces, Arms and Portrait would be a great morning in the queue at the RM for me. With a sad day afterwards for missing out. The 3 coin set it out of my range, so it would just be a sad day. So fingers crossed, that i will have a euphoric coffee in the morning, waiting to see the sold out page for a release at the RM again.  

Luckily, this is unlikely to happen unless they strike more Unas and Graces. 😅

8 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Luckily, this is unlikely to happen unless they strike more Unas and Graces. 😅

2 OZ silver sets, mintage 2022 and dated 2022 in a William Wyon themed box would truly be a nightmare of everyone that paid a fortune on secondary market. But i would love it. They will not release it, cause W is the 23rd letter in the alphabet.🤣 But would be nice

@James32 Hi James. So I messaged second highest bidder. Think they read this post as they word for word told me they had spent their funds and to remove them from the bids to. So my highest bidder was sitting at £519. I put it on FB for £650 and was willing to wait and see today. Coin sold on FB last night after maybe 30 mins so ended auction. 

So good outcome. My gothic crown is now free that I have and that will pay for grading to! 

6 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

@James32 Hi James. So I messaged second highest bidder. Think they read this post as they word for word told me they had spent their funds and to remove them from the bids to. So my highest bidder was sitting at £519. I put it on FB for £650 and was willing to wait and see today. Coin sold on FB last night after maybe 30 mins so ended auction. 

So good outcome. My gothic crown is now free that I have and that will pay for grading to! 

Yeah I've been there before hence suggestion. Had a auction for a watch and two bidders went at it hammer and tongs for days, same thing..higest bidder had little feedback and incoherent in dialogue so I reached out to second higest minutes after auction ended to find out they found something else elsewhere 🤣 what a waste of 7 days that was lol.

Glad you got sorted though,less money but also less stress 👍

I just ran through the last 10 Gothic crowns to sell on eBay at auction listing. Nine of them were purchased by an account with (1) feedback score.

I was considering whether this could be explained as a glitch of some sort, but the 10th buyer had a feedback score of (348) with a bid made on 6th December which was release day, for £700. Which isn't too far over the going rate of around £675 on the Buy It Now listings.

The tenth buyer could possibly be a second chance offering. Unfortunately for the seller, second chance offers are excluded from any promotion like "Max £1 Seller Fee" 

Info on Buy It Now listings seems rather limited. They would also be harder to target since the seller could quickly relist, especially if it's still in the promotional period.

I conclude that someone, or some group, are using fake accounts to outbid genuine buyers. Admittedly, that seems like a lot of work, but I wouldn't know. It could be quite easy to someone well versed in it. Of the ten listings, that's (at least) nine times a buyer has been forced to look at alternate listings. 

I do accept I could be wrong and would welcome any other explanations.

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

So if they pair them with the gold, are they realistically going to be able to find 40 or so originals at a practical price?

If they aren't going to pair them with the gold, I wonder what's going to happen with them

6 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

I just ran through the last 10 Gothic crowns to sell on eBay at auction listing. Nine of them were purchased by an account with (1) feedback score.

I was considering whether this could be explained as a glitch of some sort, but the 10th buyer had a feedback score of (348) with a bid made on 6th December which was release day, for £700. Which isn't too far over the going rate of around £675 on the Buy It Now listings.

The tenth buyer could possibly be a second chance offering. Unfortunately for the seller, second chance offers are excluded from any promotion like "Max £1 Seller Fee" 

Info on Buy It Now listings seems rather limited. They would also be harder to target since the seller could quickly relist, especially if it's still in the promotional period.

I conclude that someone, or some group, are using fake accounts to outbid genuine buyers. Admittedly, that seems like a lot of work, but I wouldn't know. It could be quite easy to someone well versed in it. Of the ten listings, that's (at least) nine times a buyer has been forced to look at alternate listings. 

Agreed. As we discussed yesterday on this thread something very strange is probably going on.

I just don't understand why anyone would bother, unless they have a pile to sell.

@NewCoins From memory on the Una thread a few years ago there was a dealer stock piling them back then. Don’t know how it played out in the end but nobody ever mentioned who it was but the commenters all seemed to know. 

This was all done through ebay as well.

26 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

So if they pair them with the gold, are they realistically going to be able to find 40 or so originals at a practical price?

If they aren't going to pair them with the gold, I wonder what's going to happen with them

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see west they do.

Maybe some sets will simply pair the 2021 silvers with the 2021 golds?

44 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

Just had a look at the sold listings and you’re right the buyer who has purchased most of the coins is quite new and with a feedback of only 1 !  
very strange indeed 

Just now, Alz111 said:

Just had a look at the sold listings and you’re right the buyer who has purchased most of the coins is quite new and with a feedback of only 1 !  
very strange indeed 

Anyway to contact eBay and have it flagged and removed? It's not right at all but I guess whoever it is will just make another fake account and that there's probably more then one to look out for anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

Anyway to contact eBay and have it flagged and removed? It's not right at all but I guess whoever it is will just make another fake account and that there's probably more then one to look out for anyway. 

Don’t think you can do anything it could be a genuine buyer who knows.

another thing I’ve noticed is that out of the last 10 purchases the seller hasn’t received a feedback by this particular person. 🤔

2 minutes ago, Alz111 said:

Don’t think you can do anything it could be a genuine buyer who knows.

another thing I’ve noticed is that out of the last 10 purchases the seller hasn’t received a feedback by this particular person. 🤔

Yeah..... That's why I leave eBay well alone. Far too sketchy for my liking.