• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Royal Tudor Beasts - Royal Mint Launch Event, Oct 7

So I've been told today by the royal mint that the exact same 1oz silver lion I sent back for replacement due to poor quality is being sent back to me as it passes their quality standard. They told me they only check by eye and not a loupe or any other magnification. I asked if their quality inspectors have their eyes tested regularly and she assured me there is nothing wrong with their eyes lol. Looks like I'll be sending it back for refund. 

5 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

So I've been told today by the royal mint that the exact same 1oz silver lion I sent back for replacement due to poor quality is being sent back to me as it passes their quality standard. They told me they only check by eye and not a loupe or any other magnification. I asked if their quality inspectors have their eyes tested regularly and she assured me there is nothing wrong with their eyes lol. Looks like I'll be sending it back for refund. 

Can't even say I'm shocked anymore 😕 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

22 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

Glaring conflict of interests there, isn't it.

The people selling the coins seem to be the sole arbiter of whether their own products are good enough to refuse a replacement.

39 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

The people selling the coins seem to be the sole arbiter of whether their own products are good enough to refuse a replacement.

This is why I will no longer purchase coins from the RM until I see a marked improvement in QC.  I don't want to pay good money for faulty products.  If I really want a coin, I will get it from a dealer and request that they inspect the coin prior to shipment.  This whole situation with the RM is simply incredible.

3 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Not defending the RM by any imagination but they have always stated that their standard is if it would achieve a PF68 or above. Now If they don't use a loop to check and don't have people there skilled enough to do these sort of quality checks then its academic. Maybe they need to employ some people from NGC or PCGS 🙂

Edited by Rll1288

Here's my letter from the coin I sent back. Looks like it's a template as they sent me back my lion after assuring some sovereign's were ok 🤦🤣. Back for a refund it goes. I've already boxed it up to return it as I can't be arsed to take more pictures of more problems to show, I'm feeling a bit deflated. 

IMG20220301115443.jpg

1 hour ago, Mtaybar said:

Here's my letter from the coin I sent back. Looks like it's a template as they sent me back my lion after assuring some sovereign's were ok 🤦🤣. Back for a refund it goes. I've already boxed it up to return it as I can't be arsed to take more pictures of more problems to show, I'm feeling a bit deflated. 

IMG20220301115443.jpg

Other than paying for coins to be sent off and graded, is there a third party that can fairly assess whether a coin is of suitable quality?

22 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Other than paying for coins to be sent off and graded, is there a third party that can fairly assess whether a coin is of suitable quality?

Mr. Magoo? Seriously tho why does NGC not grade in the UK? Surely having a couple of staff based this side of the pond would make sense logistically. 

697317812_magoo(1).jpg.49448831564b3aae84e5a495a16b135d.jpg

78av.gif

23 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Nope.... It's down to the individual and what they think is acceptable.    I sent mine back for a replacement as I found mine not to be of suitable quality for me. They failed to meet what I think is acceptable so I have asked for a refund. Someone else will get the one I sent back and could be absolutely fine with it which I think is great for them. After seeing the silver bullion version sent by @Gordy for a friend of mine, I much prefer those and so I'll probably go for those instead. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on graded coins as well so ultimately it comes back down to the individual. 

@Gordy

11 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

Mr. Magoo? Seriously tho why does NGC not grade in the UK? Surely having a couple of staff based this side of the pond would make sense logistically. 

I would have thought by now there's a big enough market for NGC and PCGS to set up their stall in the UK...

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

51 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

Nope.... It's down to the individual and what they think is acceptable.    I sent mine back for a replacement as I found mine not to be of suitable quality for me. They failed to meet what I think is acceptable so I have asked for a refund. Someone else will get the one I sent back and could be absolutely fine with it which I think is great for them. After seeing the silver bullion version sent by @Gordy for a friend of mine, I much prefer those and so I'll probably go for those instead. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on graded coins as well so ultimately it comes back down to the individual. 

@Gordy

Yep the bullion version is very nice.. still have them on sale in the sales section btw 😁

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 hour ago, SilverDrum said:

697317812_magoo(1).jpg.49448831564b3aae84e5a495a16b135d.jpg

Absolutely and the fact it takes over 2 months to get them graded to getting them in hand it’s absolutely ridiculous 

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

There probably ought to be a Coin Ombudsman at this rate! :D 

You joke but its sort of true! They've got an independent reviewer for the last batch I've sent back as they've said one of the coins passed their manual visual and automated quality checks.

I've been told its not a grading company they'll use.

Despite various Directors being involved it didnt prevent them accidentally sending me another pair of 2 oz Panthers. Both need to go back again (coins 16 and 17?). 

On the flipside got my 1/4 oz Lion today  and that was fine! I notice though that has a foam insert to protect the coin that the silver coins dont have.

8 minutes ago, 272 said:

You joke but its sort of true! They've got an independent reviewer for the last batch I've sent back as they've said one of the coins passed their manual visual and automated quality checks.

I've been told its not a grading company they'll use.

Despite various Directors being involved it didnt prevent them accidentally sending me another pair of 2 oz Panthers. Both need to go back again (coins 16 and 17?). 

On the flipside got my 1/4 oz Lion today  and that was fine! I notice though that has a foam insert to protect the coin that the silver coins dont have.

I  heard that the RM uses Anne Jessopp as its final QC reviewer.  Some RM hack brings the coins to Anne's office and reverently lays them on her desk one by one.  She then looks at each coin with one eye closed and the other eye widely open for a full 2 seconds, passes them to a hack from the shipping department to send them to us, and then goes on to the next coin.  Lately, however, she has only been able to spend 1 second on each coin because she says she has to deal with all the returns from you guys.  So.....PLEASE stop returning your coins so the rest of us can get full inspection service from Anne!

I was just on the phone with them asking about my 5oz silver Henry VII, after a long wait i was greeted by this automated message "We are sorry for the delay in answering your call, an agent with be with you as soon as possible, unfortunately they are all tied up with some bloke called Barry"  😂 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

13 minutes ago, Gordy said:

I was just on the phone with them asking about my 5oz silver Henry VII, after a long wait i was greeted by this automated message "We are sorry for the delay in answering your call, an agent with be with you as soon as possible, unfortunately they are all tied up with some bloke called Barry"  😂 

Made my day 

🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Gordy said:

I'm relatively new here.  Can you fill me in on this Barry guy?