• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone buy from sharpspixley.com?

MickB

Only noticed sharpspixley.com whilst searching bullion dealers and they seem to have some history behind them in dealing with bullion. Never heard of them before.

Just wondered if anyone on the forum has dealt with them?

They appear to be ok from what I can see on their site.

Ive never bought from them personally - but they were mentioned a moneyweek email a week or so ago

They have recently opened a retail shop in heart of Mayfair - st james, if anyone lives in or is visiting central London.

Their prices seem OKish :huh: :wacko:  or even if you want to go in for a nose around 

https://shop.sharpspixley.com/gold/gold-coins?limit=all

They are linked to Degussa german refiner

It is a genuine firm if you read their about us page, it states what I remember of them. The company ceased trading in the 90's but as it says it was taken over ( & the name  has been resurrected ) here is a photo of a couple of silver bars I bought in the 80's.The new version of the 1oz bar is identical except for the small lozenge cartouche at the bottom of the bar stating the assayer.

P1020047_zps88112178.jpg

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

@MickB

Just found the email : here is the copy and paste - looks like the store is now open.  They are also offering safe deposit facility

A new narrative for gold?

I’ve spoken many times here about gold’s need for a new narrative. Last week I was lucky enough to attend the opening party of the new Sharps Pixley gold store on St James’s Street in London. 

Chief executive Ross Norman spoke about all the innovation that the gold market experienced in the bull market of the noughties – from the invention of the exchange-traded funds (ETFs) to the online bullion dealers such as Goldcore, Goldmoney and BullionVault. 

But in the bear market, the innovators, he said, seemed to run out of ideas. With the new Sharps Pixley store to add to their already excellent gold news feed, that may be starting to change a little.

If gold is to be considered a legitimate asset on a par with stocks, bonds or real estate, then ordinary people have to be made aware of it. Of course, a rising price will go some way to doing that, but it’s a two-way dance. You need the innovations to attract buyers to drive the price higher in the first place.

The World Gold Council is paid fortunes to do this. And, let’s face basic facts, it’s not that hard to make gold glamorous and alluring. But it has managed to keep it stuffy and middle-aged.

So it’s great to see the Sharps Pixley store in such a prominent position on St James’s Street, just behind Piccadilly. With all that shiny stuff in the window, the shop is probably now the most conspicuous on the street. They’ve got golden taxis driving around too. 

And once you enter the shop, you could spend quite a bit of time (and money) there. There are all sorts of beautiful gold and silver products you can buy – jewellery, watches, coins, bars, little statues. And there’s all sorts of fascinating material about the history of gold and its role through the ages. 

This development just the kind of innovation that gold needs. And you should all go.

If you’re lucky, you might even get to handle that 400 oz (12.5k) bar you can see me holding in the picture above. That’s the best part of a third of a million quid I’ve got in my hands there. Pretty cool, huh?

Until tomorrow, 

Dominic Frisby
MoneyWeek

pix.gif

I used to have a small collection of the 1 oz Sharps Pixley silver bars from the 80's, around 25 of them.

I listed them on eBay and was contacted by somebody offering a deal, which I agreed to.

The name on the shipping address was a Mr. Pixley, so I asked the obvious question and it turned out to be the son of the company founder. He no longer had a connection to the company but was buying up his dad's bars.

It felt like they were going home....

46 minutes ago, Cointreau said:

I might well pop in there some time this week.

Just checked their prices and they are only competitive on one or two coins.

Not really surprising given their location.

Their 1/4 oz Britannia is cheaper than BBP but add £9.95 for postage. 

If I could pick one up from the store and save postage when I'm in the area, it would be worthwhile, unless they charge the same for arranging collection from there as they don't keep products on the premises.

First metal purchase I ever made was from them - about 10 minths ago. 5g gold bar.

Never used them again, but only based on price; bar was delivered quickly and even came in a lovely cloth bag. If you look at my silver stack photos, the bag is the background of the photos, very nice pattern of coins and bars on it :-) .

Archived