• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

This topic has gone fairly quiet since Friday evening, so I though would reveal my Cunning Plan (where did that come from).

To start with I have already logged on to the Royal Mint's website. Not to buy anything of course, just to check what's going on.

If I tag @Darr3nG in to this post, he might want to help us organise a massive DDOS attack on the RM site, starting at 8.30 tomorrow morning.

Come 9.00, everybody will think it is just the usual hysteria when there is a new release, and that the RM has not booked expanded server capacity to cope with the extra demand. This itself may be a cunning ploy, because if you ensure there is a queue, everyone joins it as they think there is huge demand which will cause a sell-out and a huge shortage. There was an old war time cartoon showing people in a long queue, with someone at the back asking "what are we all queing for?".

While they are waiting in the RM queue, people will shop around, and snap up all the spare stock on the Chard website (I declare a vested interest). Once we have sold out, we can stop the DDOS attack, then because most people will have bought elsewhere, and direct RM sales will be so low that the RM will panic, make a quick phone call to Blackpool, and dispose of their expected surplus stock at a bargain basement price.

That way, we get to corner the market, and once the RM have sold out, we can ask double the price for all the extra ones.

What could possibly go wrong (apart from someone reading this and pinning the blame on us). Now that's the really clever part, because we can blame it all on Darren3nG. 

Of course, he might want free beer to go with the fish and chips we are offering. 😎

Chards

17 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

The 1989 issue was almost a flop.

I think many seasoned sovereign collectors wanted St. George and the Dragon.

The Royal Mint failed to sell out the issue limit, which is why the actual mintage is lower. *

There are many more sovereign collectors nowadays. 

* It might have been because @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer were not actively involved in new issues in those days, which is a pity, because we might have been sitting on some old stock. 😎

Shame you didn't stash some....I think the 1989 reverse is the best so far...It was probably a risk on the RM's part but paid off in the end..

19 minutes ago, magpie79 said:

Just got another message from rm about the start time/day 

I wonder if they are incognito 🥸 on here and been listening to us all moan

or finally hired someone who knows what they are doing at last 

Whilst I haven't got a crystal ball,I'm pretty certain that there will be some laughs/tears on this thread tomorrow night😁

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Whilst I haven't got a crystal ball,I'm pretty certain that their will be some laughs/tears on this thread tomorrow night😁

The thread will certainly be on fire With all our trails and tribulations 

good luck everyone 

save one for me 

13 minutes ago, James32 said:

Whilst I haven't got a crystal ball,I'm pretty certain that their will be some laughs/tears on this thread tomorrow night😁

The mintage will be high, only the sets will sell out tomorrow. Ebay will be awash with overpriced offerings even as the Mint has unsold stock. Flippers will make a little in the first few days then the resale price will dip below retail. The first few to offer graded 70s will make a killing then the price will plummet and not recover for several years. The bullion coin will be the same design which will further depress the proof price.😁

but it will all be good fun😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 12/11/2021 at 08:32, LawrenceChard said:

So far, the Royal Mint has not introduced milk spotting on gold coins, (but they may have a secret department working on it).

Now, it they would just add a little silver to the sovereign alloy... 😎

What about scratches and contact marks? Are they far less prevalent than the silver proofs? Would hope with the higher price on gold proofs that the QC would be stricter but not exactly the case with the US Mint.

43 minutes ago, magpie79 said:

Just got another message from rm about the start time/day 

I wonder if they are incognito 🥸 on here and been listening to us all moan

or finally hired someone who knows what they are doing at last 

Pulling the right strings - - FOMO goes to eleven! 😉

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 3.59.03 pm.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

25 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

The mintage will be high, only the sets will sell out tomorrow. Ebay will be awash with overpriced offerings even as the Mint has unsold stock. Flippers will make a little in the first few days then the resale price will dip below retail. The first few to offer graded 70s will make a killing then the price will plummet and not recover for several years. The bullion coin will be the same design which will further depress the proof price.😁

Dont think i'll bother sitting in a carpark or something on my phone in work then :P 😂

16 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

Pulling the right strings - - FOMO goes to eleven! 😉

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 3.59.03 pm.png

I know what you mean

i might have to pull a all nighter 

image.gif.93ab2c89dc72be1c7b3120ee77fd184a.gif

41 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Perfectly said !

25 minutes ago, Altitudes said:

What about scratches and contact marks? Are they far less prevalent than the silver proofs? Would hope with the higher price on gold proofs that the QC would be stricter but not exactly the case with the US Mint.

The 2022 gold bullion Britannias were noticeably better than the silver ones, at least from the small sample I looked at.

I can't really speak for the US Mint, we don't distribute any of their new proof coins, but the older ones I have seen look OK.

Chards

43 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Yes I agree but I'm not actually referring to the mintage number/availability. 

I'm pointing out that even if there's 20000 available, the royal mints website has a nack of messing up and if your not getting thrown out, you're getting 17 orders instead of 1.

Sticking to my guns and predict mayhem.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

If anyone can snag the £5 gold and HODL for ten years. All will b well