• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

OK, Is it Pink or Yellow then? Could be the camera.
Not sure about this reverse. It looks like an overgrown jungle of creepers and vines. Where are  tha animals hiding? Never seen a Sovereign without a field.  I wonder if Jody Clark was briefed to make it look different from the jubilee 2022?

Can’t wait to see it close up though 😀

If the mint have actually returned to gold coloured gold then I’m happy, rose gold has never been for me. Also I think with a new king and the special purpose of this sovereign, they have tried to show-boat on the reverse design and to be fair, praise where it’s due it’s a fantastic piece of design and something different. The coin is for a special purpose and it’s a special coin tbf. A few things I’d personally change but that doesn’t make it a bad design. Also it’s a shame the mintage is so high but that’s my problem to deal with, at least people can own this coin without being fleeced on the flippers markets so I bought it as I think it’s worth owning. Whether long term markets will judge it well, time will tell but I will not be upset if it just sits in my collection.

10 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

Not sure I see the problem here, it looks great. It's definitely busy but I'm more interested in something intricate with lots of detail to discover than something more simple. I think this design is very regal.

I do think the focus on that camera is off and makes the coin look blurry, we will definitely see better shots on here, hopefully soon.

I think this will be amazing in the bigger coins.

Yeah I'm expecting better in the hand, but I also think the half and 1/4 sov's will struggle to show the intricacies in all its glory.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

3 hours ago, kimchi said:

Ye gads, that's busy indeed :o

🤔

It would make an awesome coin ring! 😁

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

Yeah I'm expecting better in the hand, but I also think the half and 1/4 sov's will struggle to show the intricacies in all its glory.

Definitely, but I think regardless of design when you get down to quarter sov size you have to accept any design will be compromised.

I do look forward to finding out for myself though

14 minutes ago, BullionBuyerUK said:

Imagine the cool imprint you could leave in someone's forehead if you punched them with the ring on

May have found potential buyer!!! bit nervous about receiving feedback though.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

I think it looks gorgeous tbh.

I love love love the detail (what some may call “busy”).

I definitely find these intricate designs so much more interesting compared to simple and boring designs with seemingly no effort involved and that look like stock images engraved on coins.

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I think it looks gorgeous tbh.

I love love love the detail (what some may call “busy”).

I definitely find these intricate designs so much more interesting compared to simple and boring designs with seemingly no effort involved and that look like stock images engraved on coins.

I don’t want to cause chaos on a Friday so I am going to be relatively diplomatic about modern designs but what I would give for a return to steam presses, The Wyons/Benedetto Pistrucci (to name a few) and iconic design days. I don’t want to say any of the current RM designers/engravers are the problem because I don’t believe that is the case. I believe it’s a number of factors but mainly it’s the business model and the UK is not alone in this.

From the first coins minted, they served as a store of value but also allowed a state to send messages (or propaganda) to its citizens or other foreign states. For example the Attica Owls with Athena on the back commemorating her place in establishing the city and then the owl and olive twig finished with a message saying this coin is of the people of Athens. Julius Caesar, in one coin he’s showing is family origins with the founders of Rome and also his families link to a God. Let’s not forget, Brutus and the Ides of March or even the connection between Queen Victoria and Una and the Lion. My belief is iconic coin designs tells a story with fantastic workmanship but most states who created iconic designs did not have a new release every Monday. It’s like the whole proof sovereign debate, proof sovereigns use to be a very special release not an annual thing.

My view is mints are largely businesses now and have to make some money. They make money by releasing a lot of coins and then charging a premium but I do truly believe the market is utterly saturated with new releases, it’s none stop and you login and some mint as released another must have coin. I do believe this is one of the major factors impacting the current market along with a number of other factors. I also think the Una release demonstrated one point, if a mint releases an iconic coin which is a piece of art it will rightly find its way to the top as it’s better than all other modern releases but again when you then saturate the marked with the next releases with too many coins the iconic design counts for little.

This is why I like this new sovereign, the mint have put some effort in and released something very different. That’s not a bad thing in my opinion

4 hours ago, Simmoleon said:

I don’t want to cause chaos on a Friday so I am going to be relatively diplomatic about modern designs but what I would give for a return to steam presses, The Wyons/Benedetto Pistrucci (to name a few) and iconic design days. I don’t want to say any of the current RM designers/engravers are the problem because I don’t believe that is the case. I believe it’s a number of factors but mainly it’s the business model and the UK is not alone in this.

From the first coins minted, they served as a store of value but also allowed a state to send messages (or propaganda) to its citizens or other foreign states. For example the Attica Owls with Athena on the back commemorating her place in establishing the city and then the owl and olive twig finished with a message saying this coin is of the people of Athens. Julius Caesar, in one coin he’s showing is family origins with the founders of Rome and also his families link to a God. Let’s not forget, Brutus and the Ides of March or even the connection between Queen Victoria and Una and the Lion. My belief is iconic coin designs tells a story with fantastic workmanship but most states who created iconic designs did not have a new release every Monday. It’s like the whole proof sovereign debate, proof sovereigns use to be a very special release not an annual thing.

My view is mints are largely businesses now and have to make some money. They make money by releasing a lot of coins and then charging a premium but I do truly believe the market is utterly saturated with new releases, it’s none stop and you login and some mint as released another must have coin. I do believe this is one of the major factors impacting the current market along with a number of other factors. I also think the Una release demonstrated one point, if a mint releases an iconic coin which is a piece of art it will rightly find its way to the top as it’s better than all other modern releases but again when you then saturate the marked with the next releases with too many coins the iconic design counts for little.

This is why I like this new sovereign, the mint have put some effort in and released something very different. That’s not a bad thing in my opinion

It is very clear - if one looks at coin designs within the larger context of the current state of numismatics - which ones have been “designed”.

That’s all I’ll say. You’ve already articulated things pretty perfectly. 🙂

2 hours ago, Mtaybar said:

There will be more of the 4 sets available at some point I reckon soon. 

Most likely

58 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Are there many of the single full sovereigns left 🤔

There's an extra one as i refunded one last week lol,still not had a refund however.

23 minutes ago, Deus said:

Just put a request in to cancel my orders, will pick them up next year. May be a mistake. 

I was very conflicted cancelling the 5 set. It's a beautiful design in my opinion. I do have concerns about the short to midterm prices and desirability though?

I was definitely feeling the FOMO at the time.

I'm going to cancel my 4 set and roll the dice with some more crypto instead.  

Will I feel remorse in a few months... Probably.😄

Edited by AurumArgenti

1 minute ago, AurumArgenti said:

I was very conflicted cancelling the 5 set. It's a beautiful design in my opinion. I do have concerns about the short to midterm prices and desirability though?

I was definitely feeling the FOMO at the time.

I'm going to cancel my 4 set and roll the dice with some more instead.  

Tbh I've a feeling ( depending on delivery dates) more will be cancelled in due course. 

Personally I'd rather see it in person before making any decisions, but I completely understand your and other's decisions. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip