• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

10 hours ago, apachebleu said:

I am in two minds now about what to do...my double has a small scratch but the rest seem perfect.

I'm going abroad next week for a while so if I get a replacement set I can't personally check it, the missus has a good eye and has said she is happy to check the new set...but she has no idea how much these cost and just how closely they must be inspected...and I'd rather not tell her! 

I do feel uncomfortable putting that responsibility on her especially when I know there is a really good chance I end up getting BackyardBullions returned set.

So...do I take the hit on one slightly scratched coin or chance getting an even worse set?

We all know this will be a great investment item but will a single scratch on the double ruin the set? Hope I don't sound like a flipper but these are long term investments and I don't want to mug myself off....part of me thinks its better to just take the refund and have the money in the bank for a shot at the gothic crown.

Basically would you keep a 5 coin set with a small scratch on the double?

Have a chat with @BackyardBullion his 5 coin set only has an issue with his £5  you all need to play "pass the parcel" with the sets make as many good sets up between yourselves, set up and exchange thread?  @apachebleu   @Mtaybar @magpie79

Doing this would leave one or two unlucky people potentially with just getting a refund, if you guys could get a dealer on board you all could play pass the parcel and all end up with perfect set with the dealer sending all the s**** back.  

The next time you order  both from the dealer and the RM and you might be able to help the dealer out next time as you could do the same for him? 

max.png

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

@GoldDiggerDave Interesting idea for sure!

So, if anyone does have a perfect quintuple but they are just sending the whole set back for a refund, for whatever reason, just let me know and I can take it off your hands in exchange for my less than perfect one!

I would be more than happy to pay for all the postage costs and would throw in a 1 oz hand poured silver goodie as a thank you!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

4 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

So, if anyone does have a perfect quintuple but they are just sending the whole set back for a refund, for whatever reason, just let me know and I can take it off your hands in exchange for my less than perfect one!

I would be more than happy to pay for all the postage costs and would throw in a 1 oz hand poured silver goodie as a thank you!

Sounds fair to me 😂 

2 minutes ago, magpie79 said:

Sounds fair to me 😂 

Doesn't even have to be someone wanting a refund - if someone has more volition to return for replacement & complain than me then this offer stands too 🙂 

5 minutes ago, Connor said:

Surely with so many issues in the sets, which are limited (to the point where people are potentially getting duff sets back as replacements) surely the mint need to consider redoing them from scratch?

Was thinking that too , can't be many replacements lying idle at the mint.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

10 minutes ago, James32 said:

Was thinking that too , can't be many replacements lying idle at the mint.

So, from what I understand they always hold a few back - but really we are talking single digits here. 

Most of the replacements will come out of the pool of coins returned. 

One would hope that the QC department might take it seriously and maybe mix and match to get full sets of good coins. 

The remaining dud coins should, in my opinion, be melted down and reminted. 

Certainly in the case of the quintuple sovereign and the 5 coin set. £4795 issue price, you really should be getting as good a coin to the naked eye as possible. Clearly visible scratches/marks should not exist. If there are issues at 5x magnification to get a PF68 or PF69 grade, that is fine by me - I just want something that has nothing visibly wrong with it from the naked eye as I do not plan to grade this set.  

3 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

So, from what I understand they always hold a few back - but really we are talking single digits here. 

Most of the replacements will come out of the pool of coins returned. 

One would hope that the QC department might take it seriously and maybe mix and match to get full sets of good coins. 

The remaining dud coins should, in my opinion, be melted down and reminted. 

Certainly in the case of the quintuple sovereign and the 5 coin set. £4795 issue price, you really should be getting as good a coin to the naked eye as possible. Clearly visible scratches/marks should not exist. If there are issues at 5x magnification to get a PF68 or PF69 grade, that is fine by me - I just want something that has nothing visibly wrong with it from the naked eye as I do not plan to grade this set.  

People who know me know I’m like an old woman when it comes to quality issues with proof coins.  On most normal releases there is a good chance of getting a swap, on very high demand coins it’s unlikely you will get a replacement and 3-4 days after you have sent the coin/sets back you just get an unannounced  refund in your account with no option of a swap.  

I get the feeling the RM know, we are likely to keep hold of a high demand coin even though having a quality issue as they know we fear just getting palmed off with a refund.  This has happened to me with my beloved 2019 gold proof 50p set.  I know other who kept problematic silver 3 graces for the same reason. 

I would trust fellow TSF members to make a trouble free set up than running the risk of the “palm off” refund from the RM.  It’s just quicker and simpler to refund you than it is dealing with the problem. Expecting the RM to melt coins down and re mint new though the right thing to do will not make economic sense to them as they will have moved on to the next super rare coin launch!…………..

4 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

People who know me know I’m like an old woman when it comes to quality issues with proof coins.  On most normal releases there is a good chance of getting a swap, on very high demand coins it’s unlikely you will get a replacement and 3-4 days after you have sent the coin/sets back you just get an unannounced  refund in your account with no option of a swap.  

I get the feeling the RM know, we are likely to keep hold of a high demand coin even though having a quality issue as they know we fear just getting palmed off with a refund.  This has happened to me with my beloved 2019 gold proof 50p set.  I know other who kept problematic silver 3 graces for the same reason. 

I would trust fellow TSF members to make a trouble free set up than running the risk of the “palm off” refund from the RM.  It’s just quicker and simpler to refund you than it is dealing with the problem. Expecting the RM to melt coins down and re mint new though the right thing to do will not make economic sense to them as they will have moved on to the next super rare coin launch!…………..

I don't disagree, and before I send my coins back I will very much be looking to have in writing from my account manager that I will have the option for the exact set I have sent back to be available should no suitable replacement be available.

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

What an excellent idea 👏 , very fair offer from @BackyardBullion too.

I'll start a 2022 swap shop thread

Happy to swap a good 3 coin set for a duff 5 coin set 👀😂

Jokes aside though, as mentioned above, at this sort of retail price you should be able to expect them not to have visible dints and marks. It's like a car dealership handing you the keys to a brand new car with dents in the bodywork. 

10 minutes ago, Connor said:

Happy to swap a good 3 coin set for a duff 5 coin set 👀😂

Jokes aside though, as mentioned above, at this sort of retail price you should be able to expect them not to have visible dints and marks. It's like a car dealership handing you the keys to a brand new car with dents in the bodywork. 

Oh it's happened to me (although a van) 

Don't worry Mr xxxxxx we will get that buffed out and polished up ( my response was but what do I do when the polish wears off??? ) still waiting on a suitable answer.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

So I’ve been in touch with RM and both my Three coin sets, plus print, are arriving Thursday. As is my full sov from Chards. Will be a mix of excitement and apprehension Thursday morning…hoping they arrive with no issues but feeling less and less confident now 😅

Edited by Yorkshiremanc

17 minutes ago, Yorkshiremanc said:

So I’ve been in touch with RM and both my Three coin sets, plus print, are arriving Thursday. As is my full sov from Chards. Will be a mix of excitement and apprehension Thursday morning…hoping they arrive with no issues but feeling less and less confident now 😅

That print will have more creases than an Origami swan! 

Just now, Yorkshiremanc said:

Honestly I would not be surprised 🥲🥲It was an impulse buy anyway so if I have to send back for refund there will be no love lost!

Same 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

17 minutes ago, Piperscoins said:

I'll watch this in a min,

The thing is BYB you have a coin thats going to be worth a lot even with the damage.  I understand your frustation i would be i-st off to.  Myself i have found dealing with the RM it is better to take the Gentleman approach. 

Just think of the older proof sets that are just out of everyones reach even in bad condition!

I will watch your vid now

Totally agree. I will be very much insisting on a better coin and if this is not possible then to get this exact one back to me. 

5 hours ago, Piperscoins said:

I'll watch this in a min,

The thing is BYB you have a coin thats going to be worth a lot even with the damage.  I understand your frustation i would be i-st off to.  Myself i have found dealing with the RM it is better to take the Gentleman approach. 

Just think of the older proof sets that are just out of everyones reach even in bad condition!

I will watch your vid now

I concur with you. It’s very disappointing for @BackyardBullion but unless RM can’t guaruntee a replacement then I’d grin and bear it and keep the whole set.

Also if you have to return the whole set which I imagine you will have to, what’s to say there aren’t marks/faults on the other coins if they replace the whole set.

Its disappointing but I think unless the damage was a big scratch across the coin I’d keep it. I’m saying all this and my full and half sovereign are arriving tomorrow and I might feel differently if it were my coin.

Its a tough decision.

Still on open order, so called the RM. Person said they hope to have all orders dispatched……..by January and probably before Christmas !

He also threw out a random number of hoping to have 1,000 minted within two weeks and that a percentage of the total mintage were made before release and they now have to catch up. He said this was the first time this demand on the release day had happened and I said rubbish, it isn’t. He then said he had only been working there a short while……….so sometime between now and the end of the year !

Edited by Oldun