• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

IP over DNS (backup plan)

Fluttershy

I`v been thinking about the recent disruption to the site from the change-over and so forth, and how Most of the delay was from the DNS to IP redirect time.

can you present us with the IP in URL format that we can all bookmark as an emergency backup in case anything like that (or for other reasons) ever happens again please? :)

I know how to do this, but I didn`t (and should have), STAFF (read Mods) should certainly know this IP too, can we have the "Backup" IP to access here when/if the DNS server ever goes down please :)

(might want to re-word this in "English" if you decide to go with it as a backup)  :P

• Founder & Administrator

The problem was that the name servers were not left to populate before the domain name was transferred, and was therefore still pointing at the old severs on the old host.

The maintainece page that was showing was actually loading from the old host, I couldn't enable the site as any new content would have been added to the old servers rather than the new, due to the size of the forum and the time it takes to transfer all of the files I made the decision to keep the site in maintainece mode on  both the new version and old version of the site until ever hung was transferred over and the domain name was pointing at the correct servers. During this time you wouldn't have been able to access the site even if you had the IP of the new servers as this was in maintainece mode.

At the time of writing the new web host has 99.996% uptime for the last 365days. You can see the current figures here https://www.siteground.co.uk/uptime

We are paying a very large amount for a dedicated cloud hosting plan that easily allows us to purchase additional RAM, SSD hard drive space and processor power without having to restart the servers. I don't expect the forum will be moved to a different provider, as there is no need, the current host will be able to handle the expansion of the site with minimal downtime.

I also have no plans to transfer the domain name to another provider. So you don't actually need to access the site via the IP of the server.

But there is no harm in giving you the IP address as it is public ally available anyway by searching on a website such as getip.com currently you can access with this IP: http://37.60.238.163

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived