• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Kee Gold Tester - anyone interested?

werewolf

Hello !

I occasionally buy scrap/used jewelry if it has a good price and I'm looking for a device that tests it accurately and fast. I've done some research and I've come to the conclusion that for jewelry the Kee Gold Tester is the best considering a budget of a few hundred dollars. Buying from the website that sells the Sigma in the US gets pretty expensive due to shipping and VAT. I've found this product with a better deal  and cheaper shipping here:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/electronic-Kee-Gold-Tester-with-Pen_50039500710.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.5c286a5cqLWKfH .

I know there is this option in the UK too: https://www.quicktest.co.uk/acatalog/Kee-test-KEE.html#SID=404 , but it's pretty expensive. 

It says 100+ for 225$, but sometime earlier today I saw 20+ gives you the same discount....Anyway, I'm sure that for a larger order, the price would be good.

So..If we can get a group order together we might negotiate a good discount. 

However, if we decide to go forward with this, it would go as follows:

1. The import must be done in an EU country, we'll see who has the lowest tax - I'm almost completely sure that in Romania we would pay only 19% VAT on it. And worst case scenario maybe an import tax if the order is large of maximum 5%.

2. We would ship the items individually to each of the members of the group - for example, from Romania to Uk, cost would be about 12-14 GBP.

So, anyone interested in this ?

If anyone knows a dealer in the EU that sells this with a decent price please advise. 

Videos about the machine itself and how it works:

https://buysigmametalytics.com/products/kee-gold-tester-model-m-509gm

https://buysigmametalytics.com/p/kee-gold-tester-videos

8 hours ago, werewolf said:

It uses replaceable probes so it is safe to assume they wear out. Can we assume there will always be a supply of replacement tips? and at what cost? How long do they last?

It also says in the blurb that the sample needs to be filed first to remove any possible plating and surface contamination. OK for junk jewellery but coins? 😟

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

9 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

It uses replaceable probes so it is safe to assume they wear out. Can we assume there will always be a supply of replacement tips? and at what cost? How long do they last?

It also says in the blurb that the sample needs to be filed first to remove any possible plating and surface contamination. OK for junk jewellery but coins? 😟

Yes. The biggest (and only one I think) downside to this machine is that the pen does wear out after a number of uses. It is 50 GBP for easy replacement in the UK. https://www.quicktest.co.uk/acatalog/Replacement-probe-for-Kee-gold-tester-Probe_kee.html#SID=406 .  And 50-60 USD in USA.

FEATURES

- Tests gold from 8K to 24K (that includes 9ct, the scale is marked "10K" because it's American)
· Simple analogue meter, good reliability
· Simply touch pen probe to the item (must be filed first) result is shown in two or three seconds
· Easy calibration with a sample of 18ct (you cannot use the tester without this) + a sample of 22ct gold if you want to test 20ct to 24ct accurately
· Replaceable pen probe provides up to 1000 tests (in practice 3 to 4 months of heavy use)