• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone collect R.A.M. silver coins

motorbikez

Regarding Aus we all seem to be big Perth Mint fans,but has anyone any RAM coins if so lets see/hear about them.

Here's a 2011 proof roo from my collection

P1020129_zps7504da7f.jpg

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Nice!

I never did get any RAM coins whilst in Australia. In fact it was my last week in Melbourne before I got round to getting any Melbourne Mint rounds! lol I must have walked past the place a hundred times. Lovely building, by the way.

So no, I know very little about RAM, but that does look like a smashing coin! :)

Nice!

I never did get any RAM coins whilst in Australia. In fact it was my last week in Melbourne before I got round to getting any Melbourne Mint rounds! lol I must have walked past the place a hundred times. Lovely building, by the way.

So no, I know very little about RAM, but that does look like a smashing coin! :)

Shamatti. I was in Melbourne last summer visiting my mum there. Not many coin shops there really. Did you have to make an appointment to get into the Melbourne Mint? When I go there next I will prolly order from the Perth Mint and receive deliver at my mum's place.

I think we are getting a bit off topic here, but briefly:

Melbourne is my favourite part of Oz. I got the rounds from ABC as they are resellers of MM - you do need to book an appointment and I only wanted 2 rounds so didn't think it a good idea. There are loads of coin shops in Melbourne! I can think of 5 within a 10 minute walk of Flinders street!! (Although 1 is closing down soon)

Now, lets stop hijacking the thread! LOL ;) 

RAM coins are expensive, but they do make some very attractive coins. :)

I'd agree with that, and i have to say I have never had a coin from RAM with any faults or issues the quality is superb, bu and proofs.

I have a complete date run of the BU carded RAM Kangaroos from 1993 to date with the exception of the low mintage 2007 Rolf Harris design .

Managed to pick up an uncarded coin a while back, but the carded versions are commanding some silly prices . Looked on Ebay today but could only find one listed  at £250 and vastly more expensive that the proof version of the same design and due to the lower mintage 

The irony is that this coin does not have the lowest BU production, with the following year, 2008, having nearly 2000 units less, but available at only a fraction of the cost.

Would appear that celebrity status commands a premium 

I've got the full run of proofs starting with the rare & expensive boxed 1998 which I believe was from Downies as RAM didn't start boxing them until 1999,the 2007 and 2008 proofs make silly money as well.

I also have the 5 carded Bu's which started in 1993 just to complete the set as 98 was the first proof.

AG here is a couple of pics of the elusive 2007 proof 1oz roo,mintage 10,352 which is not particularly rare considering the 2006,2007&1998 proofs come in around 7500 mintage.

But as you say celebrity commands a premium and surprisingly for the 2007 Bu, the mintage was only 8,598

P1000156_zps984ed3ae.jpg

P1000158_zps07c000a1.jpg

Thanks Motor

Lovely deep almost cameo effect on these coins. Good clean strike.  As alluded to above, the finish and quality of these coins is the hall mark of the RAM

Another anomaly of the 2007 BU is the card packaging. The base metal general circulation coin along with the proofs all had the yellow and black livery  with the emblematic carton caricature of Rolf Harris. For some reason the livery for the BU was blue with a very generic theme

I have heard a number of stories to why this happened. The one that seems most logical is that the main distributor (Dowies?) , had the rights  to produce the BU carded but omitted to negotiation the copyright on Rolf Harris caricature and thus could not use the standard packaging.  In turn they had to rush this to market and thus resulting in a pretty naff effort

A lot of people bemoan the BU ‘Roos as having high mintages. Indeed the early one did, but since the 8,598 and 6,802 of 2007 and 2008 respectively they have settled down to a quota production of only 20k.  Thus IMHO this is not a bad price vis-à-vis mintage

A lot of people bemoan the BU ‘Roos as having high mintages. Indeed the early one did, but since the 8,598 and 6,802 of 2007 and 2008 respectively they have settled down to a quota production of only 20k.  Thus IMHO this is not a bad price vis-à-vis mintage

The early ones might have high mintages as you say but I have noticed the Germans in particular are well into the carded roo's and to a lesser extent the proofs.

And when we talk about high Bu mintages the 93 and 95 only had around 73.000 minted without splitting hairs,so compared to lunars which we are all into the mintage is very low :)

I really like these coins as well. I got the first year's roo but it's got a scratch on it.

You'll have to hunt one down without a scratch on,was it not in a capsule?

• Founder & Administrator

And when we talk about high Bu mintages the 93 and 95 only had around 73.000 minted without splitting hairs,so compared to lunars which we are all into the mintage is very low :)

It's all about demand vs mintage, which is tricky to gauge. I'd say the Perth mint lunars have some of the highest demand for coins of that mintage and represent some of the best investments in silver.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Yes I'd agree with you there Chris,the 1oz RAM Roos were the first sets I collected so I have a particular soft spot for them and they are top quality. There are one or two fairly rare and expensive ones but not so expensive as to put the collector off getting the sets BU or Proof

Not in the league of the Perth Mint lunars for demand though.

My salt water crocs arrived today. Now I have to decide whether to crack them from the card or leave them as they are. Ideally I want to store them in the coin case with everything else.

Nice one morezone,I'm going to get Graham for my son, he has 52 ozs of silver in his own right and he's only 10.

Soft dad methinks but he did pay for the Aussie 2000 Olympic set of proofs himself.

Re the card you may be able to remove the capsule like the carded kangaroos they unscrew, just keep the card if you want to sell the coin.

Archived