• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Customs Refund - How To Get One - Gold Coins

Kookaburracollector

I import gold coins from the USA, and occasionally get charged VAT in error (no fault of the seller), so here is what you have to do to get a refund.

Go onto the Border Force website and download the refund form:-

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/861742/BOR286.pdf

In the explanation field, I just put down that the items are investment coins under VAT Notice 701/21A..that usually does it. 
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/investment-gold-coins-and-vat-notice-70121a

You will also be required to provide proof of purchase (PayPal receipt or similar)

If you want to be really helpful you can provide a List of gold coins considered as investment gold coins for VAT exemption as detailed in Group 15 to Schedule 9 of the VAT Act 1994 purposes. Example below.

B94CCEE8-8942-42A0-A5FB-036EDEFBA94B.thumb.png.c7bfcda2ad641efba7d868b8f62e1885.png

All going well, about two weeks later you will receive the following letter or similar..

EBA0126B-89FB-4633-8905-B2684823645F.thumb.jpeg.cd3d3e27fd3cf222b15e08f56dee99f4.jpeg

BD8517EF-6AFF-4757-812C-E0252A20D190.thumb.jpeg.704d5bca56f39b8f55ec5725ba65ced6.jpeg

Hope the above helps!👍

Hope you don't mind me asking, but are there any other charges, other than the purchase price and postage. I've often seen gold coins (Indian head quarters and halves) by US sellers on ebay and feared bidding because of duties, VAT etc.

12 hours ago, Booky586 said:

Hope you don't mind me asking, but are there any other charges, other than the purchase price and postage. I've often seen gold coins (Indian head quarters and halves) by US sellers on ebay and feared bidding because of duties, VAT etc.

Hi..If you get charged in error importing gold you will have to pay a Royal Mail / Parcelforce surcharge of £12. FEDEX charge more..this is unavoidable unfortunately. For more information see the link above I placed for greektony..all the information you need to now is there!😃

• 1 month later...
On 03/04/2020 at 10:35, Kookaburracollector said:

I import gold coins from the USA, and occasionally get charged VAT in error (no fault of the seller), so here is what you have to do to get a refund.

Go onto the Border Force website and download the refund form:-

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/861742/BOR286.pdf

In the explanation field, I just put down that the items are investment coins under VAT Notice 701/21A..that usually does it. 
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/investment-gold-coins-and-vat-notice-70121a

You will also be required to provide proof of purchase (PayPal receipt or similar)

If you want to be really helpful you can provide a List of gold coins considered as investment gold coins for VAT exemption as detailed in Group 15 to Schedule 9 of the VAT Act 1994 purposes. Example below.

B94CCEE8-8942-42A0-A5FB-036EDEFBA94B.thumb.png.c7bfcda2ad641efba7d868b8f62e1885.png

All going well, about two weeks later you will receive the following letter or similar..

EBA0126B-89FB-4633-8905-B2684823645F.thumb.jpeg.cd3d3e27fd3cf222b15e08f56dee99f4.jpeg

BD8517EF-6AFF-4757-812C-E0252A20D190.thumb.jpeg.704d5bca56f39b8f55ec5725ba65ced6.jpeg

Hope the above helps!👍

Many thanks for the info but could you tell me a little more?

I buy 10 gold bars from mr X based in country y outside of the EU. I pay him what we agree and he sends them to me in the UK. At what point is a mistake made with VAT? And who makes the mistake?

Cheers for info 

5 hours ago, GoldenPhil said:

Many thanks for the info but could you tell me a little more?

I buy 10 gold bars from mr X based in country y outside of the EU. I pay him what we agree and he sends them to me in the UK. At what point is a mistake made with VAT? And who makes the mistake?

Cheers for info 

The mistake can be made by either party to the contract. If the seller does not put the correct import code on the customers declaration, then customs will pounce... (scenario 1)

Or

If the seller does put on the correct import code, sometimes customs just decide to add VAT on anyway (human error), this is the most annoying one (scenario 2)

Scenario 2 does not happen very often, but it is bloody annoying...I am still waiting for a refund (5 weeks now) from receipt of the above letter, stating I am entitled to a refund. Fortunately, this was only a small purchase so it’s only a few quid.

All part and parcel of coin collecting I guess!

Archived