• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

bringing PM's into the UK

jc1989

Hi all,

I am going to America for the first time in July. I am going to pop my head into some bullion places..

If I bought some 5oz silver bars can I bring them back into the UK without getting stung for taxes?

I love bars but the VAT in England puts me off hence I get coins from STG... It would be great to get some good value bars!

I will be in Atlanta Georgia on the off chance any forum members can recommend any bullion stores :)

Thanks

jc1989

I came back from Florida in August last year with around 40-50 ounces, I got stopped at the USA border control asking what the big metal lump was in my bag but there was no one on the border control in Manchester so straight through. My wife also had some coins but never got stopped, I guess I am just a dodgy looking bloke!!

However should you want to declare them then that is entirely up to you!!!!!

Keith

When I came in from Australia I had 8 KG of silver and 9Oz of gold in my carry on baggage. Walked right through the green channel and no one was any the wiser.

In my case I was repatriating my house hold, so if I had been stopped I would not have had to pay any VAT. Obviously if you get stopped you would not be able to use that exemption. But still. My experience might be of interest to you ;)

Returning from the USA carrying a couple of tubes of ASEs is no big deal.

Everyone has a gift allowance and anything above that value in theory should be declared.

Your risk is being charged on the spot for VAT so having a receipt is suggested.

Collectors coins have a VAT rate of 5%, everything else 20%.

If you don't have a receipt then use spot price per ounce so know this in advance and carry proof on a tablet or phone for example.

You may wish to just walk straight through with a few kilos of silver but try that without sweating and looking guilty !

I try to keep my silver bought in the USA to just above the free allowance, the chances of being stopped are minimal but not zero !

With the near all time rubbish $$ to ££ exchange currently is it really worth the possible hassles of 20% VAT upon return ?

Unless you are bring back stuff that cannot be easily over here, i would just enjoy my holiday   

If you just intend buying something like bog standard ASE's  a tube of x20 from STG is currently £267.55 (£13.37 per coin) delivered  

from Ampex (USA) when you set the currency to ££s its £13.70 + delivery

http://www.apmex.com/category/22112/silver-eagles-mintdirect

If you are getting a mix of unique to USA stuff like morgan dollars fair play bring it back, as holiday mementos

• 4 years later...

£390 gift allowance. After that it's the 15-20% for industrial metals (which it obviously isn't but that's the rule). Gold bullion is not industrial metal so you can bring £10000 before needing to explain you aren't criminal (money laundering rules etc)

I will let the thread /Forum know - it is  !  (Well at least for now - think BREXIT! ) perfectly acceptable/legal throughout EUROPE to carry upto £10,000 in PM's in bullion format 

I might add  - "Without having to declare"  - however it is worth just "show and tell"  and carry on

I think @BackyardBullion may know a little more on this and regarding other juristiction's

But wot duz I NO!  😉

I have only travelled to the UK with PMs once so far, with one ounce of gold and ca 2 ounces of silver, in the hand luggage. At one airport, still on the continent, I was asked if I had any metals, I honestly answered yes, they asked what metals, I said gold and silver, they didn't ask any further questions. That was just before I had my hand luggage scanned. I could see my gold coin in the scanner, together with all my fiat coins, maybe 30 or so. In the UK, no one said anything at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2015 at 20:12, jc1989 said:

I think 50 oz in various sized bars will be ok... It's the same as two tubes of coins.....

If I get tugged then I will pay the vat and take it on the chin

Hi, can you let us know how it went ?

Did you get stopped or questioned on either side of the pond? 

Thanks 

Archived