• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Time to pull cash from bank?

24 minutes ago, nee4891 said:

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion about whether now is a good time have some cash (or maybe all..?) at home as apposed to in the bank? Been toying with the idea for a couple of days now.

What are your thoughts?

Just had this from Lloyds online banking as a warning - no doubt panicking about how to get cash out - rents mort etc etc etc!

Due to the challenging times we’re all experiencing, we’re dealing with a much higher number of calls from customers than normal. So that we can support those in the most vulnerable situations we ask that you only call if your enquiry is urgent. We are doing our best to help customers as quickly as possible and we appreciate your understanding. You can still use our online and mobile banking services and our automated service. If you’re in a vulnerable situation and would like to speak to an adviser please call us, our call wait times are much longer than usual.

It depends why you are doing it. If you are worried about a shortage of physical cash, then perhaps. But if its because you are worried about the solvency of banks, then its a no. I'm not a fan of the banks by any means, but the banking system is not the problem here. The markets are tanking but there isn't really any threat of funding freezing, especially with all the money that's being created right now.

Two of my local atm's have been out of money for the past two days. Surely the machines tell the bank when there running low on cash so they can send someone to refill or am i wrong? Not that i know anything about atm's. Any experts out there on how these things work??

Hi nee4891,  asked for everyones opinion, so I'll give you mine. Bit of a drag on though :)

In Cyprus at the moment. Gone into partial lockdown. Banks are, at the moment open in the morning, and allowing 2-3 customers in at a time (# of customers allowed into the premises, depends on m2 size of the establishment), the rest wait on the street 2 metres apart. Talk that they (banks) will soon close, along with bakeries, leaving just supermarkets  pharmacies and petrol stations open (partially empty of stock in most cases) ATMs are filled regularly, but no guarantee you can get anything out of them before they are emptied again.  Saw similar on the island during the bail-in and hair cut on bank deposits.

I recommend cash in hand, and elsewhere for a just on case scenario. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Low denominations preferably. (Dont like to receive change back). And clean your money. I use U.V light.  Got a free great tan too :)

hope it helps put your mind to rest and go with your instincts when faced in such situations.

8 minutes ago, Coolsmp said:

Two of my local atm's have been out of money for the past two days. Surely the machines tell the bank when there running low on cash so they can send someone to refill or am i wrong? Not that i know anything about atm's. Any experts out there on how these things work??

Probably its just a case of the security companies are nun off their feet at the moment.

The fact the idiot banks are attempting to turn us into a cashless society doesn't help.

I think having an allocation of cash ready would be advisable. I don't think cleaning out/ emptying out the bank account is necessary. 

Added 0 minutes later...
47 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

I think having an allocation of cash ready would be advisable. I don't think cleaning out/ emptying out the bank account is necessary. 

38 minutes ago, BazzaC said:

Hi nee4891,  asked for everyones opinion, so I'll give you mine. Bit of a drag on though :)

In Cyprus at the moment. Gone into partial lockdown. Banks are, at the moment open in the morning, and allowing 2-3 customers in at a time (# of customers allowed into the premises, depends on m2 size of the establishment), the rest wait on the street 2 metres apart. Talk that they (banks) will soon close, along with bakeries, leaving just supermarkets  pharmacies and petrol stations open (partially empty of stock in most cases) ATMs are filled regularly, but no guarantee you can get anything out of them before they are emptied again.  Saw similar on the island during the bail-in and hair cut on bank deposits.

I recommend cash in hand, and elsewhere for a just on case scenario. B

41 minutes ago, BazzaC said:

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Thanks for the info @BazzaC - I was over there when the Cypriot banking system seized last time - it was bloody awful to see !

40 minutes ago, BazzaC said:

Saw similar on the island during the bail-in and hair cut on bank deposits.

1 hour ago, MrGeorge said:

I tried to put money in the bank today and was told sorry they cant take it as there shutting tomorrow and cant have lots of cash left in store. It was a Barclays  

This sounds bizarre - and worrying.

4 minutes ago, adamthetaller said:

Got a decent amount out myself the last couple of days, just as a hedge against any IT issues cropping up in the various banking systems (possible if staff levels drop too far).

Makes sense, I remember in 2008 the ATMs had computer issues and also people’s cards were getting declined via different banks every other week. It was a bit disturbing.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Some places not taking cash as i could spread the virus. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I've upped my cash levels from £2500 to £4000.I'm also paid in cash (& keep hold of it), I'm using current account debit card for spending on shopping & will let balance drop to £1000.

I remember the Northern rock farce although it was my late mother that got ripped off, it sticks in the back of my mind. These are extraordinary  times it would be prudent to have a good lump of cash available IMHO.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Card machines spread the virus more than cash, have you seen how dirty they are.  You hold cash and give it to the cashier, they give you coins back which you having gloves on clean when you get home.  A card machine is touched by everyone one after another putting there number in thousands of them in the supermarkets esp at the self service screens etc.  The machines never get cleaned!

Best to pay with cash and give a tip if you cannot give the correct amount eg 20p etc

Archived