• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone emptied their safe deposits yet!?

16 hours ago, tallyhojim said:

Withdrew another lump sum of cash today over the counter. Lady at counter who knows me by face, commented in a rather bemused manner that I'm the umpteenth regular person today that has been coming in to withdraw cash. The trickle of possible bank runs may have started......

Also filled up every single 25 litre jerry can I have, including those 5 litre plastic jobbies, with petrol, as I believe the next mad rush will be for fuel. Think about it, if access into the UK is restricted even by a small amount, that will have a knock on affect with fuel tankers. And what if tanker drivers are told to stay home by their agencies or employers? Domino effect.

I took out cash out from the building society but will use the banks money (overdraft) in my current account, if owt goes tits up then i have some at hand, filled up a 25ltr can with petrol I will get another 15 ltr the morra but the 24hr asda next to us closed last night with no petrol.....! 😬 I use the petrol for the generator anyway when we have power cuts as I have bird aviary and several fish tanks so need electricity so the petrol wont come in wrong.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just speaking to a G4S guy who was doing a collection today at work. He was saying he was delivering many more cash bags to a private bank in London. 

The private bank depositors were withdrawing some of their cash if not all hence the delivery of cash sacks. 

Normal retail banks were operating at normal levels he said. 

7 hours ago, wolfiemac said:

I took out cash out from the building society but will use the banks money (overdraft) in my current account, if owt goes tits up then i have some at hand, filled up a 25ltr can with petrol I will get another 15 ltr the morra but the 24hr asda next to us closed last night with no petrol.....! 😬 I use the petrol for the generator anyway when we have power cuts as I have bird aviary and several fish tanks so need electricity so the petrol wont come in wrong.

Get a few more 25ltr cans just to be sure. In fact it may even be worth while getting a jerry of diesel as well. You never know......

2 hours ago, Tn21 said:

I was just speaking to a G4S guy who was doing a collection today at work. He was saying he was delivering many more cash bags to a private bank in London. 

The private bank depositors were withdrawing some of their cash if not all hence the delivery of cash sacks. 

Normal retail banks were operating at normal levels he said. 

For the time being. But sooner or later people's attention will switch to getting their cash out pronto.

7 hours ago, wolfiemac said:

Weird, with an oil war going on and both Saudi and Russia increasing supply to drive down prices you'd think there would be plenty of oil available and that... maybe... prices would decrease?! 2p/l price cut in response to brent sitting at under $30/barrel. Almost as if someone doesnt want to pass on the savings?!

13 hours ago, tallyhojim said:

He was saying he was delivering many more cash bags to a private bank in London. 

I wonder if this means cash will become King again as opposed to plastic.

1 hour ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

But will it be worth anything other than to be used for toilet paper!?

On the subject of toilet paper, I've emptied my safety deposit box of gold and filled it with loo roll - seems to be a better capital return on that at the moment

47 minutes ago, bluemoon said:

Just continue cost averaging. FOMO buying silver of all things during a pandemic or lockdown is not prudent!

I'm feeling so much FOMO at these silver prices, but, since I cant buy physical silver close to spot anywhere, I've managed not to spend this month (apart from buying the last world of dragons Egyptian round).  I've been down about 30% on income these last few weeks, so that's all stacking/saving income gone for quite a while I think as we go into full lockdown at the end of this week.

2 hours ago, bluemoon said:

Just continue cost averaging. FOMO buying silver of all things during a pandemic or lockdown is not prudent!

Sod that, BUY BUY BUY!

Who needs Pasta anyway. I've seen this bloke on YouTube who survives on eating Silver. I think his name was SalivateMetal. 

18 hours ago, tallyhojim said:

For the time being. But sooner or later people's attention will switch to getting their cash out pronto.

I personaly to that decision yesterday and took all of my cash out of the banks.account is now for my pensions to be paid into to cover dd's,utilities etc.the whole world is about to go into a very deep depression,and for now i don't trust the banking system at all.limits will be set on cash withdrawels and who knows what will happen,all of my pm purchase for the forceable future will be with be local and with cash.

A lot of the shops here are also refusing cash for fear of catching the virus. Personally I still keep cash but don't totally empty my account for the time being anymore like I used to.

On 19/03/2020 at 14:13, Nortypeter said:

I personaly to that decision yesterday and took all of my cash out of the banks.account is now for my pensions to be paid into to cover dd's,utilities etc.the whole world is about to go into a very deep depression,and for now i don't trust the banking system at all.limits will be set on cash withdrawels and who knows what will happen,all of my pm purchase for the forceable future will be with be local and with cash.

Problem is if you try and pay it back in they will look at you like some kind of criminal.

But I, like you only deal in cash. I use my card about twice a month

David Icke was talking about shops refusing cash as a method of payment. The cashless society is coming closer and closer as measures like this scares users of cash and pushes away the use of cash. 

I handle notes and coins some days of the week as part of my job and I'm not concerned one bit . Coins I would think is probably more dirty then notes. 

Shops which previously used cash and now stopped the use of cash may continue with card payments only after this coronovirus dies down. 

On 19/03/2020 at 14:22, terakris said:

Some shops around me are now only taking plastic so they dont have to handle the cash to stop transfer there. So normally id take cash out, i think ill stick to plastic for most transactions.

that "cash is spreading corona" propaganda is really stupid. research actually show that the virus survives the longest on ... plastic surfaces. and when you use your card/phone, you still have to touch it. and before taking it out of your wallet, you probably touched door handles, food products and so on.

11 hours ago, maminzlaten said:

that "cash is spreading corona" propaganda is really stupid. research actually show that the virus survives the longest on ... plastic surfaces. and when you use your card/phone, you still have to touch it. and before taking it out of your wallet, you probably touched door handles, food products and so on.

Cash spreading disease isn’t a new concept. Anyone in the food industry knows that handling money then food products is simply disgusting

28 minutes ago, Jamesd said:

All my pms and a bulk stack of cash is now safely in my personal safes as well as a chunk in the bank so trying to cover both sides. 👍

One of the banks in Ireland at the moment....

Some interesting times ahead

Screenshot_20200321_095629.jpg

16 hours ago, Tn21 said:

The cashless society is coming closer and closer

Apparently the Gov is going to legislate, passing a law that would force banks to make cash available to their customers. Soon I hope. 

On 15/03/2020 at 23:42, tallyhojim said:

I will just tell them it's my money and they can mind their own damned business.

They are required to do it by law, due to know your customer (KYC), anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing legislation. It's not just the UK that has this either.

Also I wouldn't get too shirty with them, or they might file a SAR against you, which goes to the NCA to investigatge :)

2 hours ago, Xander said:

Apparently the Gov is going to legislate, passing a law that would force banks to make cash available to their customers. Soon I hope. 

Yes, I've heard this too. People believing that moving to a cashless society is part of some big conspiracy theory are barking up the wrong tree.

We are moving to a cashless society because people prefer using plastic / contactless, it's driven by consumer behaviour and convenience. Also the Bank of England has stated that they will continue to support cash, so long as there is demand for it, so have the Government.

6 hours ago, Empire said:

We are moving to a cashless society because people prefer using plastic

I don't " prefer using plastic" and neither do millions of other people. The problem we have is most people adopt the herd mentality, they follow the crowd and while they are busy chewing the cud, Boom! they cant go for a sh!t without the banks approval, give me cash any day of the week.

Some idiot thought experimenting with covid19 was a good idea.

Archived