• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

With High gold prices is anything worth buying?

londidoh

I have some spare cash  and I want to buy some gold but  it reaching a high. I am worried that if I buy now and the spot price drops to around £1000 that will be a £300 loss. Is their anything worth buying at the moment, and considering a worldwide recession looks like it is on the cards.

I am keeping away rom generic gold but even I don't know if premium gold is worth it, but with a recession on the cards that could even be worse. Any advice or opinions?

1 minute ago, londidoh said:

I have some spare cash  and I want to buy some gold but  it reaching a high. I am worried that if I buy now and the spot price drops to around £1000 that will be a £300 loss. Is their anything worth buying at the moment, and considering a worldwide recession looks like it is on the cards.

I am keeping away rom generic gold but even I don't know if premium gold is worth it, but with a recession on the cards that could even be worse. Any advice or opinions?

Buy carefully items with both a bullion and a numismatic interest. Many of these items to do not go down so much if the gold price collapses and also are better value when the bullion prices go up. Sovereigns in good condition can be such a buy, some queens beasts, older proof items etc...

11 minutes ago, londidoh said:

If the price of gold drops back down to £1000 I'll eat every one of my gold sovereigns, record it and post the video here.

People have been waiting for gold to drop back/under a grand since May last year and all of them are sat there empty-handed still waiting for the day instead of looking at a £300 gain.  They'll probably still be sat there waiting this time next year, and the year after that.

Personally, I would stick to bullion coins, whatever you can get for close to spot or under (if your lucky).  By the time you have decided which premium coin to buy, gold will have risen again and you will kick yourself for not buying earlier.

Also with numismatic coins do you have the experience to get back the premium when it comes to sell...

Its much easier to go round local coin shops/antique dealers & fairs, I have picked up quite a few bullion sovs for a bit less than spot.

It wasnt so long ago that i was buying sovereigns for £185 and 1 oz gold bullion at £800. In fact this time last year i was buying sovereigns at £230... I have seen how fast prices can crash when they do. Numismatics will retain money far better in a price drop. But i guess its all down to outlook and current collection/stack.

2 hours ago, goldking said:

If the price of gold drops back down to £1000 I'll eat every one of my gold sovereigns, record it and post the video here.

People have been waiting for gold to drop back/under a grand since May last year and all of them are sat there empty-handed still waiting for the day instead of looking at a £300 gain.  They'll probably still be sat there waiting this time next year, and the year after that.

I will remember this 😅. But in all honesty I cant see gold even going as low as 1150-1200 anytime soon or if at all.

26 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

It wasnt so long ago that i was buying sovereigns for £185 and 1 oz gold bullion at £800. In fact this time last year i was buying sovereigns at £230... I have seen how fast prices can crash when they do. Numismatics will retain money far better in a price drop. But i guess its all down to outlook and current collection/stack.

Bang on!  Personally I don’t really collect numismatics but each to his own - I prefer the bullion liquidity.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

2 hours ago, goldking said:

I'll pay money to see this.

3 hours ago, londidoh said:

I was offering so nice coins (10 Oz) over the weekend pandas, lunars etc under spot with only a little interest.    I’d stick to smaller coins because the bigger ones are out a lot of peoples budget 

3 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

surely an oxymoron then?

For definite

I'm still buying though to be fair mostly collectors silver bits though the right gold items for the right price wouldn't be missed unfortunately I've blown this quarters p.m. budget  on a new car as killed mine in the floods a couple of weeks ago

Archived